FAKAI DELUXE

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There seems to be so many Tokai Fakes around where I live now (Near Toronto) that I question whether or not a whole new boatload has just arrived or whether these music stores feel the time is right again to try to offload them on a unwary public. Most Canadians would just assume that if he/she bought a guitar from a music store and it said Tokai/Gibson/Fender what-have-you brand guitar that it would actually be that type of guitar, stupid us. :cry:

Most of them seem to have a build date in the serial number and that one is a 2004, this is around the time that the bulk of them seem to be made.
I have received no reply to my email and don't expect one at all. I searched as many Canadian shops i could a while back and found at least 5 shops selling these things now. Kevin at JSD guitar shack now knows better but i doubt that will make any difference as he is still selling these as Tokai's....
I don't quite understand this as his reputation is going to take a hit for misinforming people about these things, especially when he knows better... :evil:

Mick

And Fakai number 2
http://cgi.ebay.com/TOKAI-GAKKI-ELECTRIC-GUITAR-LES-PAUL-GIBSON-LABEL_W0QQitemZ320426008023QQcategoryZ2384QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp4340.m263QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DSI%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUCI%252BUA%252BFICS%26otn%3D5%26ps%3D63

Number 3?
http://cgi.ebay.com/TOKAI-Electric-Guitar-Mahogany-6-String-John-Lennon_W0QQitemZ190336249031QQcategoryZ2384QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp4340.m263QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DSI%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUCI%252BUA%252BFICS%26otn%3D5%26ps%3D63
Even though there's no "MAKE IN KOREA" on the headstock...we've seen that floral design before on the Dillion semi's.

Message sent to the seller of Fakai number 2...I directed him to the forum to "find out more info".
Let's see what happens shall we?
I chose him in particular because he's gone to great lengths in his auction blurb to prove it's genuine....he may be unaware or just a crafty prick....I'm giving him the right of reply before we pull the auction.

It would be a full-time job for someone to keep the Fakai's out of ebay/classifieds, the music stores around where I live, it's a shame that Tokai themselves apparantly don't care. I suppose it's about dollars and cents in the end like everything, It's not worth it to Tokai to root out this f#$%@#k, and this guy obviously has lots of these Fakai's to cheat honest hard working folks with and make a few extra bucks for himself. Greed is what makes the world go around on the business end of things for the most part. It's also a shame that with our modern technology this guy gets to rip off people from everywhere in the world, not just Canada. What a tool this guy is who dreamed up this scheme, he will get his in the end i'm sure.

Yeah it's going to be a fulltime job running the Almost Tokai Fakai site that me and Mick are building...
an update there too...I've migrated everything to another site building program...they have better support.
Almost ready to upload to ftp and make the site live...stay tuned.

brokentoes said:
it's a shame that Tokai themselves apparantly don't care. I suppose it's about dollars and cents in the end like everything,

I guess Tokai have spent much of their time since 1978 trying to avoid lawyers & lawsuits, so they probably don't want to start lawsuits of their own now!

Mike

This is the seller's response to me:

I just you should know for further cases that may occur in the future This guitar was came from Korea about 7 years ago and was authorized by Tokai to made for them as an alternative to a less expensive guitar On the back of the headstock it even says license by Tokai Gakki Company and a serial # which could be researched After Gibson filed a law suit with Tokai for copy right infringements ( kind of ironic since this is what you are complaining about) Tokai realized they where going to lose in this law suit and settled with Gibson One of the conditions is that all Tokai`s would be exclusively be made in Japan which would raise the price of the guitar closer to that of a Gibson Les Paul which is what they where natorius for knocking off. I did not end my listing because of idol threats I stand be my product but because it was sold outside of ebay rather easily with all the paper work that comes from Tokai I do not think Tokai likes to talk about there past since it looked bad upon them it may not even be the same owners I`m not sure nor does it concern me It was only a one time item and should not come up again since they have been discontinued for over 5 years I just thought you should know a little of the history of where these Korean Tokai`s come form and why they do not exist anylonger but they are not fakes They are just not Japanese made guitars

Personally, I don't believe him - he knows better than that.

almostp.jpg

"ALMOST" ready to go live 8)

It's not up live yet Mike...should be up within the week..finding a host now.

Not guitar related, but a story that may support this.

In 1988, I purchased a Datsun 2000 (Fairlady) racecar project that was rumored to be one of the infamous ?Purple Panel? cars.

The story went that, as Datsun were trying to market their sports car in America, successes in SCCA racing would help their cause.

They took 5 cars from the assembly line and built lightweight cars for sale to racing drivers only. The outer panels were stamped from very thin steel (which was prone to denting easily) and to avoid rough treatment before the paint shop the lightweight cars were marked with purple dye. These cars were driven by competent race drivers such as Pete Brock and Bob Sharp, to many successes.

After finding more and more clues that mine was one of those, (it was over 200 lbs lighter than a stock car stripped for racing. And had aluminum trunk lid hinges) I contacted NISMO, the Nissan Motorsport Division asking for more information.

I received a very polite letter in return, which said: Nissan has ?NO RECORD? of these cars.

It really baffled me until I realized that, by admitting the car?s mere existence, ALL of those victories and championships would be suspect.

If a major Japanese company is not going to reveal information to a private citizen about one of it?s ? schemes? that was successful, how forthcoming would they be about a program that did not work out so well?

Not trying to be contentious, just serving some food for thought.

I understand the point you're trying to make...but the vast range of the Fakai's and the half dozen or so factories used defies all logic.
Sure..if Tokai had chosen one factory to contract for them(as they did at one stage with the legitimate Korean range)then that theory might hold water...but the very fact that the Canadian distributor responsible admitted and bragged about what he'd done blows that one out of the water.
Also...blows me down to see a Yank know who Peter Brock was :eek: :p

Back