I need some help please

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

villager

Reaction score
decided to sell my cornford hellcat head, as theres not enough clean headroom in 30w for me, so I am looking hard at the cornford MK50 MK2, clean and overdriven channel, 50w,

i am not knowledgable on amps ..and so could anyone make some other suggestions, I want a sparkly clean channel, and a monsterous overdrive channel, nothing more ..

I have the ceriatone overtone 100w, which does both these very well, but the overdrive is less monsterous than the hellcat, but smoother, so I would like something with different voicing to the overtone as the second amp... I did consider just getting another overtone, but I decided to try some variation, any suggestions welcome, .. I need clean headroom to match the overtone 100w, and a more heavy (than the overtone) second channel...heh I wish they made a 100w hellcat...

Hi Mark, mate , i have spoken to a few amp builders over the years about the exact same thing, bigger bottom end and more grunt and apparently its a fairly easy mod to do to an amp, why not try that on the "overtone"...

Mick

As you probably know Nik at Ceriatone is very helpful, if you describe to him what you want from the second channel then he'll tell you what to do if it's at all possible.

'monsterous ' and 'heavy' are pretty subjective terms though, not having played a hellcat it's hard to know whet you mean, an Plexi 100 and a Boogie dual rectifier are both 'monsterous ' and 'heavy', but very different to each other.

Can you point me in the direction of an example of the tone you are looking for?

Mark,
Nick can build whatever you need and for a very reasonable price with great quality(I showed both my two Ceriatones to several electronics teachers I ?m friend with) and they liked the amps a lot,high prfessional quality build they said ,I also did a class with both amps(from a musician standpoint non technical) asked by my techer friend and the boys got very susprised about how good a very simple tube amp can sound and how nmany dynamics you can get from them,also they could hear how different an 6L6 and an EL-84 sounds.We had a joy.I also learnt about some technical things that day.

In summary,just listen to him....

You can also ask at non official Dumble forum and see what they say,there are very knowledge people over there.....

cheers guys, I will ask nick if he can build me what I need,

I want to keep my overtone as it is, I love it, but I want another amp for my rhythm player for different voicing..

I was looking hard at the cornford MK50 MK2, this seems to be the kind of thing I want..i think..heh

too many bloody choices..

I think this is a kind of holy grial for many of us. I still haven't found an amp that can do both, cleans and tons of distortion in the way I like.

I'd like a low wattage head with two channels. Channel one; Bassman 6g6b for cleans and a little dirt, channel two; JCM800 for a lot of distortion.

I'm on the know that both designs come from the same old 59 Bassman circuit but I didn't find any combination of them in separated channels.

villager said:
cheers guys, I will ask nick if he can build me what I need,

I'm interested in his answer :D Speakers has a lot of to do with the final sound too. Sometimes, the speaker you want for distortion is not good for cleans.

ganzua said:
I'm interested in his answer :D Speakers has a lot of to do with the final sound too. Sometimes, the speaker you want for distortion is not good for cleans.

Yes, they do. Get yourself an older JBL D-120, or E-120. They can produce very nice cleans, and as you saturate, they have a very nice edge. I have several EVM-12L's, and they're just too muddy. They're tanks, but muddy.

as everyone's been saying, it's all subjective. that being said, what i'd want to look into if i wanted what you did:

cornford mk50 II- yup. haven't tried it, but i want to. the other cornfords i've tried have been very nice, and from what i hear, the mk heads get heavier

engl- various models. probably the savage or the SE, assuming you're willing to pay big bucks.

brunetti xlr-evo

soldano- various models. you might need another amp for the cleans, though.

cae od100- haven't tried it, but from what i hear, it'll do what you want.

vht- various models.

diezel- vh4? maybe the herbert would be better for what you want, i've only tried the vh4, though.

probably a load of other options i've forgotten, too... EDIT: koch would be worth a look, too.

Egnater MOD50 with a Fender module, and a high gain one.

On a side note mark, I have seen a villager on the Amp Garage forum, was that you ?

HAHA...i'm addicted to a nice solid gain channel, only problem is, i hear the sound i want on CD's but can never find an amp that sounds the same. Looks like i need a studio as well then..... :cry:

Mick

I am going to get a JCM800 Marshall clone off Nick at Ceriatone with a few mods, i know an amp builder in Brisbane that is very good, he can make any more changes i need.....i hope....

Mick

villager said:
yes thats me..looking at a possible dumble purchase..

but I have concerns the seller is not genuine..

**** that would be cool... I understand your concerns in that matter.

Latest posts

Back