help me decide (formerly "worth 1100$?")

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flip

Reaction score
*EDIT* I've pretty much ruled this out as an option, i've posted some others in later posts, unless you're bored you don't need to read this :D

Hi, first post here. I found someone who recommended this forum after googling greco guitars for a few hours.
This will be my second electric so i don't know too much about them.
Long post ahead :D

PICTURES AT THE END OF THE POST

I've been looking for a nice les paul copy for a few weeks now and I found this in a local guitar shop (It's in swedish, i've posted a translation after the link.

http://jam.se/produkt/Gitarr-el/A44598-Greco-EG600J-Les-Paul--78-beg--svart-Stockholm-.jam

Greco EG600J Les Paul -78 beg, black (Stockholm)

Solid black Les Paul Standard in good condition. Jeff Beck style, with combined bridge / string holder (adjustable). DiMarzio Super Distortion in bridge position.

I've been there and tried it out, sounds and looks good, some dings though and some small parts on the back where the paint has been rubbed off.

some stuff i looked at when i was there:
It's got fret edge bindings.
The serial number is E787617.

The tuning pegs say greco on the back (i don't know if they're original)
There's no logo on the headstock.
I played it one day and tuned it, then came back the next day and 1 or 2 strings were out of tune, could this be because of the tuning pegs? should i ask them to do something about it if i'm going to buy it?

I'm not even sure it's a solid body, i've got a stratocaster copy and this one doesn't weigh much more than the strat

Now i haven't manage to find anything on any forum about a "EG600J" model, i've only found EG500J, so i don't know if that model actually exists.

Some questions:
What does "Jeff Beck style" mean?
Is it worth roughly 1100$? I think guitars are more expensive here than in the U.S.A. but i'm not sure. (A new DiMarzio super distortion pickup costs around 110-120$ here)
I've no idea if it's super power or super sound, if someone could tell from just the pictures/info that'd be nice. (I'm not even sure which one is better..)

What do you think? I could try to get the price down a bit if i have some good arguments for it :D

pics (click to enlarge:

Thanks in advance :)

In my opinion that is an awful lot of money for the guitar, as you say, Sweeden is a bit more expensive than some other places, but I think it's about 40% over market value which is a lot!!

The pre 1980 Grecos are OK, but often feature pancake bodies and multi-piece necks, much better IMO to go for a later model, the 'Mint Collection guitars are fantastic and you could probably pick one up for a lot less money.

The shown Greco EG-600 is a rare bird! It?s the inofficial 'Jeff Beck -BLOW BY BLOW'-model. The original wrap-around tailpiece is replaced with a badass-bridge. Gibson came out with a licensed signature-model, made by the custom shop this year. Limited, played & signed by Jeff beck + + +... ...not really a bargain :wink: . The price of the shown Greco JB-model is also way too much. If I were interested I?d pay around 580,-? / 850,-$ for a Greco like that (in excellent condition).

Thanks for the quick replies!

mojo what's your definition of perfect condition? how many dings before it drops to "good" condition? :p

Alright so if i don't manage to haggle my way down to like 800$ or something it's not a good deal?

I found 2 other alternatives, a bit cheaper.

http://www.nysse.com/lagerbilder/Greco%20Les%20Paul.html

a '78 EG-500 for around 750$

and

http://www.nysse.com/lagerbilder/grecoframpt.html

A '78 custom peter frampton les paul for around 850-900$

I'll go and try these out too, but what do you guys suggest i go for? And at what price?

This forum is so great, just these 2 replies have helped me more than hours of googling everything i could think of! thanks a lot! :)

*edit* might as well ask: what's different in the frampton model except for the three pickups?

As I said in my first post IMO you are much better off going for a later model 1980-1990 the quality seemed to step up an notch in the '80's

JohnA said:
As I said in my first post IMO you are much better off going for a later model 1980-1990 the quality seemed to step up an notch in the '80's

Yeah but i can't find any :cry:
I'm not going to buy online, i want to try it out first unless it's some crazy bargain.

Flip said:
JohnA said:

Yeah but i can't find any :cry:
I'm not going to buy online, i want to try it out first unless it's some crazy bargain.

Patience :wink:

There are some bargains out there, and there are some great guitars for sensible money. If I were you I wouldn't buy any of the guitars you've mentioned.

I sold one of my greco's about a month ago
Greco EG-700 Standard, Black, 1976
In very good condition.

-Serial G765197
-Mahogany Solid body
-Pickups: DiMarzio pickups
-Fret edge binding
-4.2kg

For 5000 kr. (Norwegian), thats about $830

0_2.JPG

EHansen said:
In very good condition.

-Serial G765197
-Mahogany Solid body
-Pickups: DiMarzio pickups
-Fret edge binding
-4.2kg

For 5000 kr. (Norwegian), thats about $830

Ooh. That's the sort of deal I want to find :D

Alright thanks for the help, I won't be buying this then. I just hope I can find something before too long, I really want one heh.

EHansen said:
In very good condition.

Pretty cheap considering that's the same price as a pizza and two beers in Norway :D

Now i found this '87 mint collection LP custom for around 800$!

http://www.blocket.se/helsingborg/Greco_Les_Paul_Custom_23630844.htm

But it's too far away i won't be able to try it out! ARGH
(Any ideas as to what model this could be?)

I also found an Orville by gibson LP custom with two Gibson classic -57 pickups for the same price as the greco JB in my first post

Orville_1.jpg

Orville_2.jpg

It ain't easy...

The Orville by Gibson looks nice, and the price is pretty reasonable, if you cant get to try it ask lots of questions first:

Fret wear?
General playability?
Any cracks or dings?

I don't like 3 pickup customs, but that's just a personal thing.

Good luck :D

Mick51 said:
The bridge p/up pictured on the ObG LPC is definitely not a 57 Classic. Doesn't even have gold screws and slugs.

Nah, sorry i should've said, in the picture it's a dirty fingers pickup but he'll put back the 57 classic if it gets sold :)

Latest posts

Back