Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Are ALL ObG's nitro?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Orville
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gasp100
Sus4add11

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:42 am    Post subject: Are ALL ObG's nitro? Reply with quote

I've been eyeing up a few ObG's on ebay, but I don't trust that the sellers would know for sure if the finish on a guitar is nitro or light poly. I know that I would have a tough time telling the finish type in many cases.
So, is EVERY ObG nitro?
If so, that would usually explain the price difference between a standard Orville and ObG right? I know that ObG's usually come with USA pickups, but in my case I usually would replace the pups (and guts) anyway so that is not a huge selling point between Orville vs. ObG.
So, nitro or not? Anyone know how to test on a guitar without damaging the finish?
Mick51
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Are ALL ObG's nitro? Reply with quote

Gasp100 wrote:

So, nitro or not? Anyone know how to test on a guitar without damaging the finish?

P/up routs or controls cavity. Acetone should melt the finish for lacquer.
mojoburst
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the link you need:

http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Luthier/Technique/Finish/AcetoneFinishTest/acetonetest.html

All the best!

Ralf
Innadaze
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Are ALL ObG's nitro? Reply with quote

Gasp100 wrote:
I've been eyeing up a few ObG's on ebay, but I don't trust that the sellers would know for sure if the finish on a guitar is nitro or light poly. I know that I would have a tough time telling the finish type in many cases.
So, is EVERY ObG nitro?
If so, that would usually explain the price difference between a standard Orville and ObG right? I know that ObG's usually come with USA pickups, but in my case I usually would replace the pups (and guts) anyway so that is not a huge selling point between Orville vs. ObG.

Some kind of catalyzer is used in the nitro that's applied to the OBGs. Seems to make it more durable than the nitro cellulose lacquer used on my JVs.

OBGs are excellent guitars. My 'own' experience is that there is a world of difference between regular Orvilles and OBGs but the quality difference between OBG Reissues (fret-edge binding, fatter necks, aged-body binding, solid tops, PAFs) and OBG Standards is minimal although, given the choice, I would always prefer a Reissue because they are more desirable and fewer of them out there.

I love OBGs and have a "ton" of them (click on the 'signature' at the bottom of this post) that I've been collecting for a number of years but I did get an "Orville" (just 'Orville' not OBG) from a guy in Japan several years ago. It was a tobacco-burst LPS that looked like Slash's signature model. Looks-wise and play-ability, it was a very nice guitar but sound and build-wise, materials and hardware it was not even in the same league as an OBG. I knew from the very first time I played the Orville, I was going to sell it--I've never felt that way about any of my OBGs.

Like I said, that Orville was a very nice guitar and if I'd never had an OBG before, I probably would've kept it but there are very valid reasons why the OBGs cost more and they're a bargain at that compared with current U.S. Gibsons and especially ones from the same period.
duff
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this obg was not nitro.
It is now, same stuff gibson used in the 50's, waiting for the checking to start

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Orville All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: