What are your favourite strat pick ups?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ganzua

Reaction score
What are your favourite strat pick ups? What models do you think are the best?

marcusnieman said:
ganzua said:
What are your favourite strat pick ups? What models do you think are the best?

Van Zandt Blues Single Coils:

http://www.vanzandtpu.com/pickups.html#

Thanks marcus :D VanZandts are great, I like a lot the true vintages.

Bacchus Yuta's not totaly authentic, but not too much of a shock for us Les Paul players, still plenty of oomph!

Hey, thanks for the answers.

Bacchus Yuta's not totaly authentic, but not too much of a shock for us Les Paul players, still plenty of oomph!

Bacchus Yuta VS1 and VS2. both great

I need something that I can purchase and listen before :D

I wanted to know what are your favourites pick ups and what do you think are better because there are zillions pick ups for strat. However, I'd like some early 60s era sound because I want to record some surf music.

ganzua said:
Hey, thanks for the answers.

I need something that I can purchase and listen before :D

I wanted to know what are your favourites pick ups and what do you think are better because there are zillions pick ups for strat. However, I'd like some early 60s era sound because I want to record some surf music.

See if you can find some Edwards strats..... they have Seymour Duncans in them. Also look for any Bacchus strats

The new Tokai Springies, exclusively custom order made for Tokai Germany,
http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=12931&start=30
are equipped with my custom order pups. They are miles forward against the early 80ies U- and E-pup's and do offer an incredible transparent vintage sound.
Let me check if the new Tokai pups available separately ...

There's no such thing - it depends on the guitar. Texas Specials were great in my ST80, but muddy & awful in an alder bodied US Strat. I recently replaced the TSs in the ST80 with Yutas bought from JohnA, & I'm not sure they're an improvement, though the same pickups sound excellent in a Bacchus.

I have 2 Voodoo ST60s in a Goldstar (along with an SD Twangbanger at the bridge), & they are excellent. But it's quite possible that they wouldn't sound as good in a different Strat.

I've come to the conclusion that any of the respected name pickups can be great if you get the right match with the individual Strat you're trying to improve. And then it also depends on your choice of amp.....

Which Strat are the pickups for? I think it makes a big difference whether it's alder or ash.

Mike

togps said:
The new Tokai Springies, exclusively custom order made for Tokai Germany

Are those pick ups made by Keiyo?

JohnA said:

Diodibuh said:

I have just learned why you like those pups :D . Yuta is a Keiyo model;

http://park15.wakwak.com/~keiyo/guitarPU.htm

The high output mkIIs that come with Tokai Love rocks are Keiyo pick ups and are great. My favourite japanese pick up maker so far.

Any sample of Yutas I could listen?

ganzua said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VjPt9Gi2Dc

Check out the other videos from the convention too, there's quite an assortment of Strats.

Mike's right about pickups, they need to suit the guitar, quite what it is I can't really put my finger on.

JohnA said:
Mike's right about pickups, they need to suit the guitar, quite what it is I can't really put my finger on.

I think one "rule" is that fatter sounding pickups & ash bodied Strats or Teles go well together. Brighter pickups seem to work better in alder guitars.

JohnA said:
ganzua said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VjPt9Gi2Dc

Thnaks for the youtube, JohnA, :D they sound good, I like them.

stratman323 said:
JohnA said:

I think one "rule" is that fatter sounding pickups & ash bodied Strats or Teles go well together. Brighter pickups seem to work better in alder guitars.

Well, this guitar is an alder body but it actually has no strat body. It is a custom guitar that I'm building from a cheap chinese thing I purchased in Germany.

It has a Jaguar body but with strat pick ups and strat trem :lol: I'm going to replace all hardware, electronics and neck with high-end custom parts, same as I did with my japanese Tele.

The pick up set that I'm looking for must provide some 60s surf tones but they have to cover some of the classic strat sounds too. The most suitable candidate set so far is Fender CS 57/62 but Van Zandt true vintages can do both jobs.

Does anybody know what pick ups has Hank Marvin in his red strat? This is exactly the sound I want;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB91ayDlQLE

He has only the bridge pick up on

mirrorboy said:
Hank used Kinman 'Hank Marvin (FV-HMS)- Zero Hum' since 2001.

Thanks mirrorboy :D I have another candidate but I've just checked an online shop and a set of FV-HMS is 322? new :lol:

The no hum feature makes me think that these pick ups may be some kind of stacked humbucker and I want true single-coils.

ganzua said:
mirrorboy said:
Hank used Kinman 'Hank Marvin (FV-HMS)- Zero Hum' since 2001.

Thanks mirrorboy :D I have another candidate but I've just checked an online shop and a set of FV-HMS is 322? new :lol:

The no hum feature makes me think that these pick ups may be some kind of stacked humbucker and I want true single-coils.

If they make the exact sound you want what does it mattter if they are true single coils or not?

Dave

Latest posts

Back