Tokai 80s ES-100/150 or orville by gibson reissue?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bruno

Reaction score
I'm curious about these two es-335 type guitars, old tokai es-100 and es-150 are amazing for sure, but I'd like to know how orville by gibson reissues rate against these, as I'm going to have to make a decision between one.

thanks

bruno said:
I'm curious about these two es-335 type guitars, old tokai es-100 and es-150 are amazing for sure, but I'd like to know how orville by gibson reissues rate against these, as I'm going to have to make a decision between one.

thanks

Haven't played an OBG (are you looking for an old one as well?) but I can say without any hesitation that an 81 ES100 is as good as any GIBSON 335 on the street.

not to knock the OBG but if I were in the market for either an early ES-150 or the OBG, I would go for the Tokai by virtue of the old wood alone, if nothing else :wink:

MIJvintage said:
not to knock the OBG but if I were in the market for either an early ES-150 or the OBG, I would go for the Tokai by virtue of the old wood alone, if nothing else :wink:

+1

My issue with ObG in general (and it is probably just me being paranoid), is that they were contracted by Gibson. Therefore my theory is they could have been "encouraged" to not make the guitars too good. The other MIJ companies wouldn't have had that conflict of interest.

Paranoid delusions aside, I'd take the Tokai in a second. Just my two cents. Good luck.

RyanC said:
MIJvintage said:

+1

My issue with ObG in general (and it is probably just me being paranoid), is that they were contracted by Gibson. Therefore my theory is they could have been "encouraged" to not make the guitars too good. The other MIJ companies wouldn't have had that conflict of interest.

Paranoid delusions aside, I'd take the Tokai in a second. Just my two cents. Good luck.

ObG are better than comparable gibsons in my opinion..

the tokai will have older wood but the ObG reissue 335's are excellent guitars..

not a huge difference overall...

Good to see you back on the boards Mark. Hope you had a nice break!

wow, almost a month since your last post :eek:

hope you had a fine & relaxing vacation :D

good to see such a knowledgeable TF 'old timer' as yourself back in the saddle :wink:

Just received this 1981 es 100 in mint condition but for a few tiny indents........There is no label in the sound hole but a 100 sticker on the back of the headstock.Can someone tell me if that is normal or is the sticker missing.

Any suggestion to remove the static from one of the volume pots?

P9070100.jpg

P9070102.jpg

P9070101.jpg

sticker missing I think..

just twist the pot 100 times fully open and closed, if that doesn't work use some contact cleaner, but it will reduce the life of the pot as it strips the grease from the track..

Thanks Mark,will try that......

Also,It was sold as a ES100"R" as opposed to a "J"....Any way to confirm that without the sticker?

hunter said:
Thanks Mark,will try that......

Also,It was sold as a ES100"R" as opposed to a "J"....Any way to confirm that without the sticker?

The difference between the two models is the pickups. The R(ock) model are hotter than the J(azz) version.

I was tracking that one on evilBay :-?

If I would have been in the market for a 335 type, I would have been all over that

You got a really nice price on that IMO; I have seen them go for waaaaaaaaaaaaay more .............

Congrats; she is a real beauty & w/OHSC too :)

MIJvintage said:
I was tracking that one on evilBay :-?

If I would have been in the market for a 335 type, I would have been all over that

You got a really nice price on that IMO; I have seen them go for waaaaaaaaaaaaay more .............

Congrats; she is a real beauty & w/OHSC too :)

Yeah, forgot to mention, that is a beautiful guitar. Enjoy it in good health.

Thanks guys,she is a beauty and the price was VERY fair :D

I realize the diffirence is in the pickups but how does one verify without the original sticker.The seller did say original covers were missing ...are there any markings to determine or can I take resistance readings and compare to my 81 LS80....

No reason to doubt the seller but just want to know for future reference/Thanks

The pickups should be similar to LS-80 old Goto pickups.

Post a pic to help you....

luis said:
The pickups should be similar to LS-80 old Goto pickups.

Post a pic to help you....

PA040024.jpg

Thanks Luis,as stated earlier trying to verify 'rock' as opposed to 'jazz' pickups

Latest posts

Back