2000 MIJ Tokai LS65... Worth it?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chill901

Reaction score
Ive just seen this on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tokai-Love-Rock-Japanese_W0QQitemZ160356428323QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item2555fcea23&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

my spying has led me to know that it is the guitar of this forums "Marc jennings" - some of you may remember this thread http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=14004

anyway I see that that he purchased it for ?450, but I was wondering if this price was good or not? He claims it to be the equivalent to the LS90 of nowadays (which I believe is ?750) Is this true?

Does anyone know anything about this guitar... how does it perform against a Gibson Standard for example? Is it closer to Epiphone quality? Also, is it weight relieved, does it have a long neck tennon?

Was a 2000 LS65 the bottom of the line MIJ LP? Is it worth the buy it now price?

Sorry for all of the questions, I have been looking for a new guitar for a while but have yet to find something I regard as having an excellent quality-price ratio. Im also looking at a Burny RLG-50 Les Paul (?399 MIC LP copy) Would the Tokai be better than this?

Cheers

I haven't read the ad in detail, but if it is in good/new condition, then it is worth the buy now price (300 quid less than current retail, plus you're getting a hard case). It's not what I would call a screaming bargain, but reasonable value in this market.

I've never touched a Burny RLG, but for 50 quid extra I would definitely go for the Tokai, if only for resale value.

It won't be weight-relieved and will have a "medium" tenon (search the forum). Generally people put Tokai quality a lot closer to Gibson than Epiphone.

MIJ guitars, Tokai in particular, are the very definition of "excellent quality-price ratio", which is why this forum exists.

That should read, "Generally people put Gibson quality a lot closer to Tokai than Epiphone." Well Gibson has improved its quality control a bit, but the standards don't compare to similar spec Tokai's.

Mick :p

I've got a 2001 LS-65 in same finish and think it's a fantastic guitar for the money. The base model at that time was an LS-60 which I think had a 3 piece body, (maybe 3 piece top?). The LS-65 has 2 piece body, 2 piece centre joined solid maple top. It's not got a long neck tenon, MK2 pick-ups, Gotoh hardware. I recommend it highly if the price is right for you.

Hi Guys,

This is my guitar and to be honest I'm sad to be selling after so little time of ownership but I just can't get on with the body shape and weight (not that it's overly heavy for a LP). I just aim to recover what I spent and am looking at getting a Tokai 335.

If anyone wants more detailed pics of anything I'll do my best to supply.

I've been playing for over 30 yrs and have used 335's along with PRS and MM for most of that time which is why I guess I can't get on with the LP shape. I have owned 3 Les Pauls over the years 2xGibsons and 1 x very early Tokai. I would say this LS65 is better than both the Gibsons I owned in both build and playability and on par with the early Tokai (which someone had reliced and added a Gibson headstock logo!). The neck is great on this guitar and is as good as my main 335 and PRS.

Marc

Probably worth the money with the inclusion of a hardcase. Nice colour.

I've got a 2003 MIJ LS65 (I think) and the quality is spot on, much better than the Gibson LP I had and lost ?500 on when I sold it!

Will have better resale value than the MIC Burny. Nowt wrong with MIC but they are perceived as being of lower quality, whether they are or not.

Thanks for all of your replies, and thanks for getting in touch Marc, this has certainly given me something to think about!

Cheers

Latest posts

Back