Trip to the Pawn shop

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Centris

Reaction score
It really is amazing what you find in a pawn shop, went in yesterday after seeing an Epiphone Custom in the window. On closer inspection it turned out to be made at the Samick factory in December 2000. It was a right mess to say the least, strings were filthy and they had surface rust as well. A strip down, remove grime and clean with T-Cut! Then 3 coats of wax and new strings (in all, 6 hours work) it looks really nice. All for the sum of ?120, with hard case LOL.

Only problem is the centre position of the three-way switch does not work, both strap connections and the input socket were loose (sorted). There is a little wear on the first 5 frets ever so slight which I am sure can be dressed, plays well. Thought it would make a great guitar to take to my lessons and leave my new Tokai 48 safe at home.

On comparison between the two I think the epiphone has a better feel to the neck for my smallish hand, the back of the neck is slightly flatter, allowing me that little bit more reach, the 48 more rounded. Sound quality through my pathetic practice amp seems similar, though it was late when I finished so had to keep the volume down. The Epiphone is the lighter of the two which surprised me a bit, not much in it, but noticeable.

Before cleaning
IMG_0372.jpg

After Cleaning just the wax and a lot of buffing.
IMG_0373.jpg

After.

:p hello centris how r u? so u went to one of those good old pawn shops and bought an epi custom and fixed it like people did in the good old days huh......thanks for the story and pics, it was very nice and i enjoyed it. i love those good old stories so i felt alot from this one. that u called your small amp "my little pathetic practice amp" is very bluesy and tasty i can really remember my teenage years w/not much money but all going for the gtr gears. i worked at 7-11 and getting only $5 an hour. my high school years. i only got maybe $50 from my parents every month. and i was buying all those vinyl LP records and what more needed. really i didnt buy anything beside the gtr stuff for all my high school years. just gtrs n strings n records n sodas.......thats all.......i only had a few pairs of levis 501s and several tees and a pair of sneakers. i even didnt have a wallet. me and my buddy used to say that in America the gtr guys never carry the wallet and they always put their money in the pocket of their jeans. it felt like a true story and we believed it and did it ourselves. we wanna be cool like Georgia Satellites or something. We were into Blues and loved bluesy gtrs like les paul TV yellow jr and special and.....and cream tele like ralph macho had in the movie "the crossroads" those were in the late 80s just before the 90s began. everybody was crazy about guns n roses and began to have les paul around. slash showed us the way to play the gtr not the way van helen does. u know those super-strat type gtrs......he showed us how to play well and soulful but no need to be super fast and super technical......

you should have posted your gtr pic and story on that coolest gtr contest 2009 on this forum just a while ago. you could have got "the pawn shop award" easily. in fact, i really liked your post now so that i am giving you something for your pawn shop award! let u know later what it is. maybe the 2009 epi japan/tokai catalogs are good? anyways, thanks for your story from somewhere in scotland and yes you just got "the pawn shop award"......if you dont mind tell me more about the cool pawn shop stories! we are all poor when we are kids u know..... its gonna be your good memory and tasty stories laters someday. and you think you were pretty cool.......J

:wink: TJ/SG.

s09p03.jpg

@ the old pic from the famous chicago blues street called "Maxwell Street". You can see a Strat in the shop here..... this cant get any cooler than this!!! wonder which bluesman gave it to the shop and bought it next. made me remember of the story of Buddy Guy's beloved vintage Strat which was later stolen by some neighbor chicago kid. he had to steal it for money so maybe Buddy's Strat was then at one of the chicago pawn shops? maybe many gtrs on the pawn shops then in chicago were the ex-bluesmen gtrs? very possibly so around those downtown area......went to there in the winter of 1992 alone and it was pretty cold and bluesy! .....J

8)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-8JgtjerOo&feature=related

8) heard this million times back then.....still being patience for life......J

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7AhExWtH8U&feature=related

8) nothin but a blues here.....sorry willie brown telling something here but in spanish or something for som reason......this blonde tele was so cool i still want one just like it someday! went to mississippi myself in 1992 and they were really missisippi. they even had 2 robert johnson's graves there! was pretty amazing!

SUSHI GUY said:

8) nothin but a blues here.....sorry willie brown telling something here but in spanish or something for som reason......this blonde tele was so cool i still want one just like it someday! went to mississippi myself in 1992 and they were really missisippi. they even had 2 robert johnson's graves there! was pretty amazing!

"Wax on, wax off Daniel-san"

SUSHI GUY said:
http://www.roadfan.com/robjohn.html

:eek: :eek:

My niece and her husband just moved to Mississippi. Going to go visit in the fall and when I do, I'm going take a little extra time to do a blues journey thru Mississipi. Both gravesites are on my itinerary.

marcusnieman said:
SUSHI GUY said:

My niece and her husband just moved to Mississippi. Going to go visit in the fall and when I do, I'm going take a little extra time to do a blues journey thru Mississipi. Both gravesites are on my itinerary.

which town in mississippi marcusman?

:D

I'll be goin' down to Rosedale this Fall, in October

I have family in Rosedale (Louisiana) which is about 300 miles south of Rosedale, Mississippi

Of course Shreveport & Dallas are on my itinerary too :D

is new orleans ok lately? after katalina? all back normal now? anybody from there on this forum?? tell us how good they recovered if ok......J

:)

haven't been to 'Nawlins' since Katrina but one day I'll be back there

I spent a week there just after I graduated high school in 1979.
it was so hot & humid, and it smelled really bad too; it sucked eggs in the heat :evil:

best time to go is in the winter because it's not so hot, and when it's cooler it doesn't stink

It's a very old, dirty place but I still love the French Quarter

Some of the best music I have ever heard was in the French Quarter, and I have some really cool paintings that I purchased there too.

When I was much younger, many of my relatives from Nawlins would say, ?if you are from north of Lafayette, you?re a Yankee.?

Guess I?m a Yankee :lol:

SUSHI GUY said:
is new orleans ok lately? after katalina? all back normal now? anybody from there on this forum?? tell us how good they recovered if ok......J

SUSHI GUY said:
marcusnieman said:
SUSHI GUY said:

which town in mississippi marcusman?

:D

Starkville Mississippi - it's in the northeast part of the state - South of Tupelo and north of Jackson.

SUSHI GUY said:
SUSHI GUY said:

In a simple word - no. (by the way it was Katrina not Katalina). While it has rebuilt to some degree, many areas are still in ruin and no one has come back to rebuild.

The city has lost alot of it's soul.... which really came from the people. Musicians have gone, restaurants and chefs have gone. Really a shame. Don't think it'll ever be the same.

Here are a few pictures I took of New Orleans and Biloxi Mississippi shortly after the storm. Password to view them is Katrina:

http://s46.photobucket.com/albums/f128/marcusnieman/Hurricane%20Katrina/?start=0

marcusnieman said:
SUSHI GUY said:

"Wax on, wax off Daniel-san"

i am not good in spanish but sounds like what willie saying here is........

"blues is nothing but Ozeshin feeling secretly deeply for Mick.........."

8) TJ.

Back