Capacitor identification, please help

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EHansen

Reaction score
I've been trying to figure out who made these capacitors,
anyone seen these before? are they philips?

img_2742.jpg

They're not Philips - the decimal separator would be a . not a , in the UK. They're not American either. My guess is Europe (probably Germany) or Russia (they remind me of some of the military caps).

Any other markings on them? Most of the "big" companies stamped their name, logo or another identifying mark on their caps...

Edit: how old are they?

I thought philips was a dutch company? I don't know anything about vintage caps, but assuming i'm right in thinking that philips is dutch, that would explain the comma instead of the decimal point which alan is talking about. EDIT: i'm not saying they are philips, just they could be, assuming I'm right in thinking that philips is dutch.

For my sins, I work as a capacitor designer, and yes, Philips were Dutch. I don't recognise the cap which the OP was asking about unfortunately.

*Smacks head* of course they are. Thanks gents.

That said, the only Philips caps I've seen have either been new (and have a period separator) or very old Philips/Mullard ones (with a comma separator - I should have thought about these when posting yesterday...), but they look nothing like these.

Thanks for the replies,
no other markings on them, I think they are from the 70's.

Espen

I'll ask a friend of mine if he can ID them - he was fixing amps twenty years before I was born so I doubt there's much he hasn't seen!

Thanks AlanN :D

I got about 100 of them so it would be great if someone help me
identify them, and I could find out if they might be useful in a guitar amp.

(This is from the same lot I bought, 150 Philips mustard 400V capacitors
and I'm pretty pleased)
img_2735.jpg

You mustards are no good, send them to me and I'll dispose of them for you :wink:

The cap in the first pic, while I don't know the brand, is a Paper in Oil cap, and while there's nothing to stop you using it in a guitar amp, it's not the norm to use this type of capacitor in amps

Back