help on OBG goldtop with pictures for reference

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doppleganger

Reaction score
great forum we have here!

i used to own a Terada G OBG LP custom, but sold it to fund some car repairs. now i am wanting one. an acquaintance is selling an OBG goldtop, he claims its a reissue. i have not seen the guitar yet since i am out of town. however here are some info he gave:

1. goldtop

2. fret edge binding

3. serial is GXXXX --> regarding serial numbers for reissues, are they suppose to have the G/J(terada) letters or no letters (if fujigen) before the number?? and with what format should a reissue serial has? i wasn;t able to ask much about this from the seller but it will be in handy once i check the guitar

4. regarding the color @ the back, i see some with the natural wood fin, that seem to fade to green/gold/natural...however i also see those with trans red back finish. are reissues supposed to have the natural back fin or are ther some with red?

i would appreciate any feedback/advise on how to check the guitar with points on it being a REISSUE

thanks in advance! :D

The reissues have either a Terada G letter or a Fujigen no letter as both Terada and Fujigen made the reissues.

The reissues start in late 1992 and go to 1995.

The serial number formats used for the reissues are YMMPPP and YPPPP with a G letter for the Terada made reissues and no letter for the Fujigen made reissues and the Y which stands for year is 2 to 5 ie 2 = 1992, 3 = 1993, 4 = 1994, 5 = 1995.

The Terada J letter is not used until after the Orville by Gibson's finish in 1995 and the Terada J letter is only used on Orvilles from 1995 to 1998.

I don't have any info on the back of the Goldtops.

@japanstrat, 3pupLPC, JohnA

thanks for the info guys, i'll be checking it first hand this weekend, i hope to know more about the guitar so i can throw more questions later lol! i may as well take note on the serial format. OBTW, there's no space in between the first (or first two as in the case of TERADA) serials right. like the greco's super real X XXXX serial? so it goes like GYMMPPP and/or GYPPPP?

as for FEB, yeah i guess the seller knows better, since he owns a gibson reissue and he used it as comparison with his r9's FEB

so is it safe to conclude that OBGs with FEB are automatically RIs?

i also read that the goldtop corresponds to the LPS 57C or LPR etc.. model? what model number??/ does the goldtop stand for? as in the case of reissues and standards?

thanks!

finally the seller sent me some few camphone shots! :lol:

anyway, i forgot to ask if the cavity covers are black or white, but does it mean black=RI's and white=non-RI's? as for the OBG logo, is it supposed to be MOP? i can't seem to id this guitar's logo material

1. headstock - seller says the "les paul model" can't be read anymore, but has left some print or something, i dunno, perhaps i can purchase a decal for that part huh? would that be wise?

042420061017.jpg

note: is it me or i just can't see if its FEB? help please!

2. cavities\electronics\pots etc - i can't find any reference for comparison with the cavities, but i sure hope this would help figure it out. seller says pots are stock. and the toggle switch, perhaps the tip was replaced, it should have come with an amber or aged white tip

042420061015.jpg

042420061016-1.jpg

3. body/pickups -sure looks pafs to me. can anyone tell me the tenon? from the picture's POV, is it long tenon?

042420061020.jpg

4. serial - so is it a reissue?

042420061014.jpg

5. finally, can anyone tell me if its nitro or poly?

well, i hope to hear more input and info!

thanks in advance guys! :D :roll:

Looks good to me aside from the Les Paul missing on the headstock. It could be just worn out I suppose...but mine seems like it's under the finish so who knows.

It's a terada; made in July of 93. The last pic pretty clearly shows FEB and the truss rod cover matches so I'd say reissue for sure. Which pretty much means Nitro for sure. The pick up is kind of blocking the tenon so I can't tell but seriously who cares anyway. It's legit. Great gold top too. Love the big flake.

If the price is right I'd snap that baby up for sure.

Image0005-1.jpg

i saw it...and in a few seconds after negotiating...i took it home w/o hesitation lol!

its a legit RI, all specs aside are true to the info i gathered over the net!

all stock pickups, bridge/TOM, tuners, wiring, pots except for the strap button, toggle switch tip (replaced it with an amber that came from my greco super real) plus FEB with at least 90 percent fretlife! the les paul model is unreadable but can be seen under a good light!

its a 2pc body (not bookmatched or equal halves),this is one piece neck, i've seen some OBGs which have heel joints too..but this one is solid one pc.

some great battle scars i wouldn't mind. they add more mojo to the guitar!

its also heavy..another back breaker!

Congratulations. That is a steal for 300 bucks.

Personally I can't stand speed knobs..(with a few exceptions) Go with the top hats.

soundcreation said:
Congratulations. That is a steal for 300 bucks.

Personally I can't stand speed knobs..(with a few exceptions) Go with the top hats.

thanks soundcreation!!!

that's what i've been thinking too..should i go gold or amber?

all the OBG RI goldtop i've seen are speedknobs in gold, a few amber top hats on non OBG's look awesome tho :lol:

doppleganger said:
and the price is just under 300 USD! now that sealed the deal! :p :D :D :D :D

its also heavy..another back breaker!

@ $300 the seller obviously is deficient in cerebral function

if you don't mind a boat anchor then you did good ............

thanks man!

exactly my thoughts :lol: :lol: :lol:

i always prefer the heavier guitar though, works fine for me!

Back