1981 Springy ST80 replacement pot

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evamatze

Reaction score
Hi

I own an ?81 Springy ST80 and I need to replace the volume pot as it isn?t working anymore :-(

Which pots did Tokai use in the early 80s? Are they available somewhere? Or are there any good replacement pots out there that would fit without drilling bigger holes into the scratchplate (CTS/Alpha/...)?

Thanks in advance for your help

Matthias

Hi

thanks for your quick reply. I?ve done a quick search for Alpha pots but there are so many of them I don?t know which would be the right one...

What I know is that it must be 250k lin and that it should have a knurled shaft so that the original knobs will fit. But I don?t know how long the shaft must be.

Maybe someone can post a link to the correct one... or do you know a company in Germany or Switzerland where I can buy one or two of these pots?

Thanks a lot for your help...

Matthias

Problem solved!

I noticed some hum from my amp when I touched the pot body and shaft. As all wires to and from the pot seemed to be fine, I thought that the pot body might not have good contact with the brass grounding plate. So I just pressed the pot against the grounding plate, and then the pot worked again. I hope that it will stay that way...

cheers

Matthias

evamatze said:
Problem solved!

I noticed some hum from my amp when I touched the pot body and shaft. As all wires to and from the pot seemed to be fine, I thought that the pot body might not have good contact with the brass grounding plate. So I just pressed the pot against the grounding plate, and then the pot worked again. I hope that it will stay that way...

cheers

Matthias

Yep, pretty common problem - grounding between the pot and the rest of the circuit starts to go bad (takes a while though unless messed with). Just slightly loosen the nut holding the pot on and twist the pot a few millimetres left and right, several times and then re-tighten it into position. This scrapes any oxidisation off the metal surfaces and the circuit should be good again.

It happened on my old Fender bass where the only ground between the two pots and the jack socket was a sheet of thick tin foil stuck under the pick guard. I should really have re-wired it but it was fine after doing the above procedure.

Cheers
Raph

I think the original pots were manufactured by Nobels in Japan. These pots have really stood the test of time in lots of Tokais which must be an indication of very high quality.

I just ordered some Alpha pots from ebay. how different is the quality and tone(if any different) from CTS???

Ken

Back