Date and any info on a Jazz Sounds I have just bought.

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rherz

Reaction score
Hi all, I have just bought a Jazz Sound and am interested to find out when and where it was made. Prior to this bass, I only had an acoustic/electric and the difference is incredible!! I am really enjoying my Tokai and would really appreciate any info you could give me. The serial no is L24930 and going by the catalogues on this site, I am guessing that it is an AJB61 but I could be wrong. Also it has two holes on the pickguard which looks like there might have been a thumb rest at some stage??? Pictures below.

Cheers guys
Rob

http://photobucket.com/roberts-bass

Not that many of know much about the Tokai basses other than ummm...they have 4 strings and ummm..stuff...that looks like a sweet Bass.
Me and Mick ARE closet bass players I must admit so I do know more than I'm letting on as far as basses go...just not the Tokai.
The L series serial will make it reasonably easy to date for some though...and as Mick suggested to me...it has the same Tokai script as the Goldstars so it might be 1985-ish.

Hi Rob, it's a mid priced Japanese model, indicated by the three-screw tuning pegs (the higher models had the more fender-correct four screw tuners). Probably 85ish as Oze observes but could be a few years later. I don't think the serial can be trusted though as during this period Tokai even copied the Fender serial numbers!
My impression is that the US product line was slightly more upscale compared to the Japanese line- maybe Tokai wanted to impress? :wink:

/Magnus

Thanks guys, appreciate your input. Very happy with bass, only problem is finding more time to practice in between work, wife and kids!!!!

Latest posts

Back