Need help i.d.-ing two guitars....

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cliffd64

Reaction score
Hi...

I need a little help i.d.-ing two guitars that I have recently purchased.

Pictures of both are available at

http://www.ntplx.net/~cliffd/tokai.html

The first is a 198x Tokai Silverstar... I believe that it is a 1984 model from the headstock, but I have no idea which model. There is a seven digit serial number on the headstock.

The second one is a (Korean?? maybe??) Love Rock bought new in 2001 with new features for 2002... or so I was told... The odd thing is in reading everything about Love Rocks ... I can't match it up with anything. Maybe someone here can shed some light on it. I would assume its Korean from the truss rod cover, but there is a serial number on the back. Under the neck pickup, on the reverse of the pickup is stamped simply "F". Maybe someone can help me out with this one.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: cliffd64 on 2002-05-05 18:04 ]</font>

Hi cliffd64

I've had a look at the pics of both the guitars and could use a little more info..

TSS : scratchplate has been changed from black to white, should have 3-bolt neck, is either a TSS-38 or TSS-48, brass saddles are not original. Look for an oval black sticker with a white number on it. Year would be '84~'85.

ALS : it is Korean, the horn is for US market, does it have a set-neck or bolt-on neck? This will determine the model from either ALS40 or ALS48.

regards
Peter

Peter:

Re: the love rock: The neck is a set neck... not a bolt on...

There is no sticker of any sort on the Silverstar, however, I can see where it must have resided on the back of the neck... the color is faded around where it used to be... yes, the saddles are not original ( I was informed of this by the previous owner) and there is a three bolt neckplate...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: cliffd64 on 2002-05-06 21:23 ]</font>

Hi cliffd64

the love rock would most likely be the ALS48. The solid colour and set-neck would make this the most likely model as the flame/quilt maple tops cost a lot more.

the Silverstar, would be one of the 2 models I listed. Can't be certain without knowing if the pickups are original Tokai with straight polepieces and the letter on the bottom of them. This will definately help.

regards
Peter

OK... I will try to look at the Silverstar pickups when I get home (I'm told they are the original) and get the letter off the back :smile:

Thanks for all your help so far :smile:

OK... the letter on the back of the pickups is "H" on all three.

They appear to be straight... but from the top they look like they could be slightly different heights. They are not beveled in any way...

Back