Peavey Classic eBay trouble

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keir

Reaction score
I thought you lads might be interested in a little stoush I had with a belligerent Queenslander on eBay regarding the Peavey Classic 20 I was trying to sell. I've written a little account of the goings on which you can read here:

http://keirtunbridge.blogspot.com/2009/07/no-leeway-in-ebay-melee-keir-may-be-on.html

I'd be interested to hear what you think of me using Fender's name, I can see no problem with what I did as I was completely honest.

What's a stoush?

Very entertaining, & well written too. You were technically wrong to use Fender's name to sell a Peavey, but it seems unlikely that Fender would have worried about it too much if it hadn't been reported by your eloquent & potentially litigious friend. The point is that you were not trying to deceive buyers (apparently) & you told them it was a Peavey, so I don't see the problem. The problem is people who try to pass something off as a Fender when it clearly isn't. And you're right - what else did Peavey base their amp design/looks on?

As for the threats to take you to court, that was all rather sad. Fender wouldn't waste time & money on that, they simply exercise their right to get the ad pulled. Which they did. So you changed the wording. I think the final e.mail to your new friend was a nice touch.

I recently bought a top of the range Breezy with a Fender decal on it, but the seller in Japan made it clear it was a Tokai, & I was pretty sure I knew what it was, so I grabbed it. Smart move by me, it's excellent. If I ever sold it, I realise that I would have to be very careful not to use the "F" word in the ad very much, if at all. You just have to be inventive.

The cleverest way round the problem I saw was a UK seller who recently sold a Tokai Rockinbetter (Rick copy) fitted with Rickenbacker strings! I assumed Rickenbacker would get that pulled - they are much worse than Fender or Gibson - but the seller only mentioned Rickenbacker in connection with the strings, & I believe the ad ran it's full course & the guitar sold. :p

Mike

Thanks for the replies, guys.

stratman323 said:
The point is that you were not trying to deceive buyers (apparently) & you told them it was a Peavey, so I don't see the problem. And you're right - what else did Peavey base their amp design/looks on?

If I ever sold it, I realise that I would have to be very careful not to use the "F" word in the ad very much, if at all. You just have to be inventive.

Mike

Yep, I made pains to be completely honest - I've got a relatively high feedback rating of approximately 250 (100%) which I intend on keeping. And yeah, it's clear what the amp is based on. It's the knobs really scream Fender - you know the ones - they face backwards on the Blues and Pro Juniors.

The annoying thing is I bought the Fender badge on eBay, which I've since learnt isn't allowed because they aren't available to the public (for the obvious reason that they'd end up on counterfeits). Why wasn't that auction closed?
Another thing I learnt (from the email the nice Fender man sent me) is that Fender doesn't allow is the use of "Fender style", "strat style" or "tele style" or other such descriptions. However, they don't seem to care unless someone directly reports to them, like fullboarqld.

keir said:
The annoying thing is I bought the Fender badge on eBay, which I've since learnt isn't allowed because they aren't available to the public (for the obvious reason that they'd end up on counterfeits). Why wasn't that auction closed?

The auctions that bother me are the ones when someone sells a Fender Custom Shop certificate and/or neckplate. Assuming they are genuine, why would anyone buy those things unless they intended to produce a fake Custom Shop guitar (and there are a few of those out there!)? And yet Fender don't seem to pull those ads.

Strange.

Yes, Fender are now very protective of their trademark names, shapes etc. I believe that's mainly because of some little Japanese company called Tokai - anyone heard of them? :eek:

leadguitar_323 said:
Maybe you should have sent copies of his emails to ebay, he is abusive and threatening not to mention a complete ahole.

Mick

I thought about that, but I decided I'd had enough trouble from this guy, no need to make him a full blown enemy. I find it's better just to laugh at these kinds of people, what do I care anyway? I ended up doubling my money, so I win!

stratman323 said:
And yet Fender don't seem to pull those ads.

If they really did care, they'd employ someone to scour eBay everyday removing auctions. It would only take one person for that job, surely? Not a huge cost to Fender. Strange that they don't, you're right. Maybe there's some deal between the little "e" and the big "F"?

Superb stuff,Keir.By the way doesn`t the P in that particular Peavey logo bear an uncanny resemblance to Woody Woodpecker`s head?I realise that with this observation I am leaving myself open to legal action from both Warner Bros and Hartley Peavey but what can I really have to fear from a cartoon character and a man who puts his chicken heads on backwards!Hang on a minute,there seems to be a large bird at the front door....................................................................................................

bluejeannot said:
Hang on a minute,there seems to be a large bird at the front door....................................................................................................

Seems as though Gabe is going to have a more interesting day than many of us.

:eek:

once ebay pulled my '77 celestion speaker auction. reason? there was a link to a page where you can check serial numbers and find out the date speakers were made. that's all. what the f....??!

nice reading, looks like he sells fender stuff. I hate those sellers who have private in listings so you can't check what he sold
http://feedback.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=fullboarqld&ftab=AllFeedback

http://shop.ebay.com.au/merchant/fullboarqld_W0QQ_nkwZQQ_armrsZ1QQ_fromZQQ_ipgZ25

And it all probably started because he needed someone to pick on because his mummy didnt do him fish fingers for tea! oh and maybe he no longer fits into his three wolf moon t shirt!
Good on you mr Keir & all the best to you.
Jason

You could have saved a lot of grief and ended up with a superior amp if you kept it ! Although those Classic 20 copies are OK if you like that sort of thing .

Lovely story :-S some weird people out there. I had my auction removed just recently, Was advertising a Tokai Rockinbetter, Apparently Rockinbetter didn't come up on E-bays spell check and felt I had misspelled the name of the guitar. I went on to say that if I had spelt it as another guitar brand then surely I would be deceiving E-bay users and leading people to believe Its something else?! All of a sudden I can re-list it lol. Good old E-bay :) If anyone would like to save me the hassle of E-bay then please do get in contact.

Latest posts

Back