Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Has anyone tried the Blackstar pedals?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> FX
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave_Mc
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

modland wrote:
the whole Blackstar thing was, they do a boost pedal, and I thought that would probably be my best bet as its a valve incorporating pedal, if i could use it to boost the volume, it would keep a good tone and boost the volume,

I wouldn't be too worried about the valve in the blackstar pedals. As far as I'm aware, there's a ton of solid state stuff in there too, ICs, transistors and the like. In my opinion, anyway, as long as the amp is valve, the pedals can be solid state (as long as the pedals sound good, of course)- it should still sound like a valve amp, kind of thing.

I haven't tried the blackstar pedals yet, though. But i thought the artisan amp they do was overhyped.

JohnA wrote:
You're explaining everything very well. The trouble is putting a boost pedal in front of ANY overdriven valve amp WILL change the sound, and if the amp is quite heavily overdriven this will have more of a gain/distortion boost rather than the volume boost you are looking for.

agreed. if all your pedals are true bypass it'll probably change the tone slightly when switched in anyway (i think that's how it works).
modland
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not really getting anywhere here am I, i'm just going to look into modding my Rocker 30 with an FX Loop so I can put a volume pedal in
JohnA
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought. You could contact Orange and see if they would add an FX loop for you, that way it wouldn't invalidate your warranty.
Paladin2019
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Modland, I agree that you're not getting anywhere here and I very much doubt that Orange will mod your amp - you'll have to lose the warranty and go to a third party modder. I don't think you're approaching the problem from the correct angle - it sounds like you want to have your cake and eat it too, and are considering some very unusual options to get there.

I don't think you'll get the versatility you need without a little sacrifice, even if its as simple as learning to use the guitar's onboard volume control. You say you've considered using channel switching and a DS1 in your setup - have you considered a simple transparent overdrive pedal in that configuration? Maybe a digitech bad monkey or a marshall guvnor? Crank the level control and keep the gain to a minimum.
adidos
Plucker

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the budget allows then you won't get a better spec'd & transparent pedal than Xotic RC Booster. It'll add up to +20dB of clean boost, and has very good controls to o/drive your sound if that's what you need. It's a bit pricey but a serious contender.
Check here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZY9dIk748FY
and - http://www.xotic.us/effects/rc_booster/

Also check Xotic AC Booster if you want a bit more tubescreamer range grunt.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> FX All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: