What about Orville?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jockscott

Reaction score
What do you say about this Orville guitar? Looking for an black LP and searching wide on japanese market(Burny, Greco, Tokai, Orville...) Found this item on ebay but doesn?t really know much about them.

Any opinions about quality, compared to other japanese guitars?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ORVILLE-Gibson-Black-Les-Paul-Custom-Guitar_W0QQitemZ230353366363QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item35a2216d5b&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A1683|293%3A1|294%3A50

That's an average price for those out of japan. Personally I'm not all that interested in the non "by Gibson" orvilles. I just don't see them as being anything special over say a decent epiphone.

I've got a G serial number 89 "by gibson" and it's a great guitar.

Others might be able to give you a better A/B comparison of the differences, but if you're really diggin that one..I'd say the price is fair.

BobK said:
Really? I would be surpised if Epi's are as good as an Orville. What do others think?

The original MIJ Epi's are really just Orvilles with a different name on, they are a million miles away from the Epis that are sold today.

+1
MiJ Epi's are no representation of the Epi you can buy in your local music store...unless your local store is in Japan :eek:

Epi Japan special order, nitro...... it's better than Orville quality:

Epi1.jpg

Epi4.jpg

Epi2.jpg

Epi3.jpg

From what year to what year Orville guitars were made?
Orville By Gibson first? then just Orville?

SUSHI GUY said:
Orville was made from 1988 through 1998. OBG's (Orville by Gibson) were made from 1988 through 1995.

The OBG "reissues" (fret-edge binding, fatter necks, aged-body binding, solid tops, etc.) were mostly made in '93 & '94 but there are a few with '92 & '95 serial numbers.

These are ALL OBG's.....

Innadaze said:
SUSHI GUY said:
Orville was made from 1988 through 1998. OBG's (Orville by Gibson) were made from 1988 through 1995.

The OBG "reissues" (fret-edge binding, fatter necks, aged-body binding, solid tops, etc.) were mostly made in '93 & '94 but there are a few with '92 & '95 serial numbers.

These are ALL OBG's.....

Thank you very much Innadaze!

Back