Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wanted; Orville Parts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Orville
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scooticus
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:15 pm    Post subject: Wanted; Orville Parts Reply with quote

I just took possession of a beautiful '95 Orville Goldtop (Thanks MIJvintage!) that has 2 cracked pickup rings (cream color). Does anyone out there have a connection for replacement parts for these guitars? I mean actual factory parts, because the parts I got to replace these are not EXACT matches.
mojoburst
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi scooticus,
there are 2 different sizes of PU-rings on the market. The 'korean rings' are a bit cheaper, but wider than the 'US-size'-rings. If you go for original Gibson products you are on the right way, I?m sure. Otherwise the original ones can be repaired with super glue. After you have carefully fixed the rings with super glue and it?s all surely dried out the PU-ring surface can be smoothened with a fingernail polish-tool from the girl next to you
Open this link and scroll down to the nice Orville LP from 'Knarbens', he replaced his PU-rings with Gibson historic reissue parts:
http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/other-les-pauls/40632-show-your-orville-les-pauls-2.html
MIJvintage
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott, If you really dig the "yellow match to the binding" of the pup rings, you could go the replacement route & spray the new ones with The Guitar ReRanch 'Tinted' Clear Coat nitro lacquer, for an instantly aged look ..................

Ironically, the one I do not have in the pic is the 'tinted' clear

"Yeah, yeah. We're in the bureau of beer and fire and cigarettes. And maybe some chicks, too." - Beavis
scooticus
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much for the helpful info. On the advice of my local repairman/luthier, I'm going to repair the original rings and keep the guitar in 'factory fresh' condition. I'll post some pics when it's done.
Frails
Plucker

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While the tinted Reranch method will work, it takes a steady hand and some practice. An easier method is to use wood stain and a rag, then wipe off excess. With the spray can method, you can get shiny spots if you have a heavy hand so be sure to go back and forth, depressing the button on each pass in spurts. Considering these parts are so small with minimal surface area, the wood stain method is preferred.
MIJvintage
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like Scott's idea of keeping the pickup rings he currently has on his Orville gold top

The guitar isn't necessarily a ?collectable? example per say yet I believe it is an excellent example of very good quality, at a moderate price point.

The body is 2 piece center seam, and the grain is actually reverse matched.
The way this particular guitar was made, the grain in the mahogany actually projects vibrations/sound to the top/front of the guitar.
For a non 1 piece body, this is about as high of quality of as you can get, and it actually projects sound better than many 1 piece bodied LPs I have played.
That is saying a lot

AFA I can determine the guitar was/is in completely original condition, and if I were still the owner, I really wouldn?t want to change a thing about it, with the possible exception of some electronic components.

That is a wonderful gold top, and anyone would be happy to play it & to own it.

Scott, when are you sending that thing back

"Yeah, yeah. We're in the bureau of beer and fire and cigarettes. And maybe some chicks, too." - Beavis
scooticus
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich, you know that's just not going to happen! I am digging this guitar to death - it's exactly what I wanted.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Orville All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: