Tokai Goldstar Sound

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabpal

Reaction score
Came across a lefty 80's Goldie, dont know the model no. its a kind of metallic green colour in average condition. The guy is asking ?500 for it! What do you guys think? Is it worth the money?

?500 for a Goldstar is too much unless it's a high-end model, but 99% of the goldies that pop up in the UK are ST50 or 55's, for one in average condition about ?350 would be closer.

I've noticed sellers of lefty Goldies asking unusually high prices. One was on ebay recently for ?699 BIN and obviously it didn't sell and is now up for ?599. I did see a nice MR Goldie go for ?250 on ebay recently, so that could indicate the market doesn't put any sort of premium on the fact that it is left-handed.

Thanks guys,
I'll try to get some pics up, it has kluson style deluxe stamped tuners, a Fender shaped headstock, maple neck with skunkstripe, if that helps. The one on ebay at the mo is more like ransom money they are asking, greed is an ugly thing.

Ok, here's some pics, not that great quality tho. Let me know what you think. BTW the price has dropped to ?450

Thread bumped due to impending purchase! :) Does anyone have an idea about the model number?

rabpal said:
Thread bumped due to impending purchase! :) Does anyone have an idea about the model number?

Yes, all you need to do is look through the catalogues in the registry. This is the relevant page from the 1985 catalogue.

File0240.jpg

Lefty Goldstars were ST55s - that's it. So they couldn't be easier to identify. Having said that, there weren't any metallic blues listed in the choice of finishes, so that's a bit of a mystery.

Since a r/h block decal Springy just sold for ?471 in a similar colour, ?450 seems fine, & if I wanted one, I would grab that quickly.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=120431484157

Mike

Thanks Mike,

http://www.guitarsjapan.com/1982_Tokai_ST60_Ice_Blue_57_Goldstar_Sound_Strat.html

I found this on the guitarsjapan website, this is the exact same guitar and colour of the lefty i posted. The pictures i posted look more blue, but its the same as this guitar only left handed.

Hmmm, the colours look different to me. I wonder why he claims it to be an ST60? The only Goldstars that came in a wide range of colours seem to be ST55s, so I would assume it's an ST55.

That '60' colour looks like LB. It has a round string tree like a '54 reissue so I would have thought that the serial # would be 4 digit instead of 6 :-?
I have seen TST-60 Maple mostly with 4 digit serial #.

The colour of the lefty does look blue in the pics, when i spoke to the guy at the guitar shop he said it was bluey/green, so i only have his word on it. Do the Tokais not have any markings in the neck pocket to determine the model no.? Like Fender Japan for instance.

rabpal said:
Do the Tokais not have any markings in the neck pocket to determine the model no.? Like Fender Japan for instance.

No, it would originally have had a sticker like this one, but they were often removed by their owners. Click pic to enlarge.

I suppose most owners of these guitars wouldn't know of the significance of these stickers at purchase... So when it comes to TST or ST Tokais, which are considered higher end? I was told that if they have Kluson style tuners they up the higher end of the scale, not that it bothers me... I'm just interested. Had a few Loverocks in my time, but the Springys' and Goldstars are even more rare as lefties go.

Kluson type tuners on ST50 and above, nitro on ST80 & above, higher numbers had 2 or even 1 piece bodies, pickups were supposedly better on higher models, though some of us might question that last point. That sort of thing. You get what you pay for, basically.

Thanks for the info, i decided to go with the Goldie and should have it by Friday. The guy said he would say it was in 8/10 condition as opposed to the other guy saying it was average condition on Monday. Anyway, looking forward to getting this one, it was between the Goldie or an '88 Fender Japan '72 reissue, but the Goldie seemed to attract me more...Lets hope it's worth it :-?

I hope so, the goldie arrives today i'll get some proper pics up when it comes. I eventually got it for ?390, so not too bad. Can't wait!!!!

Got the Goldie today, first thing that struck me was the weight... Heavier than my Fender Japan reissue and also my new mexican standard.

Latest posts

Back