Springy Questions

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bruceboomstick

Reaction score
Well maybe not so much questions more clarifications of what I think I know.

Block logos - I assume these were transitional between 7okai and tokai - roughly what sort of period was this (I assume it's around 82/83). Was the block logo applied to springys only or do any goldies have it (I know both guitars are the same!).

Odd model numbers - 55/65 etc Am I correct in assuming that this refers to a reproduction of a Fender custom colour?

I'm sure there was something else I meant to ask, but for the moment it eludes me.........

Model numbers are the original price in thousands of Yen, unless I misunderstood which number you're talking about.

Block decals only appeared in 1983. First Springys, then Goldies appeared with block decals - we have seen examples of both on here. Ordinary decal Goldstars had appeared in the UK by December 1983 - I know because I bought one, & I found the receipt a few years ago.

I think all the various Fender clones came with block decals. I know the Jazz basses did, as I have one. I'm not sure about Breezys though, I think I've seen one, but I'm not sure.

An ST55 is a custom colour version of an ST50 - these are reasonably common in the UK. I think I first heard of a 65 today - there's another post by a guy selling a block decal ST65, & I'm not sure what that is. Hopefully somebody else will know.

Mike

I've just seen Loz's post - a nice guitar and likely to be the one I've been looking for these past months. Think I should do my level best to give it good home !! :D

+1 Mike.

The block decals on Breezies started around 82 (a bit earlier then on the STs) as Teles were out of style and easier to make on CNCs. However, you still might find some early 83 Breezy necks on 81/82 bodies with the spaghetti decal.

My guess (unproven) is that Tokai ran out of bodies before they ran out of necks. For some reason they still had excellent maple necks until the 85's while bodies were degrading. It's easy to check: count the "rings" on the neck and look at the distance between.

You'll find Goldstars with 57 class necks built in 1986.

rup

Back