Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

tokai TEA-60S
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Acoustics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
royc
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 7:05 pm    Post subject: tokai TEA-60S Reply with quote

Edited my post 'coz I just confirmed that this is a Tokai TEA-60S from a pic he posted at another site that clearly shows 2 knobs. I also got his number and sent him an SMS message but he hasn't replied back. Wish me luck that I get it

Here are better pics from that other site.

From the catalog:

Last edited by royc on Sun May 31, 2009 7:12 pm; edited 4 times in total
royc
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since no one seems to have any info on this model is it a bad idea to buy this? Tnx
marcusnieman
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

royc wrote:
Since no one seems to have any info on this model is it a bad idea to buy this? Tnx

Couple things different about your the guitar and the catalog pic. Trussrod cover is different and there is no neck or headstock binding.

The only issue with buying it is do you know that it is really what you are buying?
royc
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcusnieman wrote:
royc wrote:

Couple things different about your the guitar and the catalog pic. Trussrod cover is different and there is no neck or headstock binding.

The only issue with buying it is do you know that it is really what you are buying?

Hey that's a very helpful observation I didn't notice that

I'm now sure that it is a TEA-60 'coz it doesn't have a binding on the neck and headstock. If I'm correct that there are 2 knobs on the pic below then it is a shallow body, otherwise it is a deep body (preferred).

[edit: pics moved to the first post]

I now believe that it is a TEA-60S but still can't find any feedback on the net. Would it be safe to buy this guitar simply 'coz Tokai has been making good acoustic guitars? My current acoustic is a china made Ibanez AEL10E jumbo w/ B-Band pickup which will be sold this lunch to fund my purchase. Thanks

Last edited by royc on Sun May 31, 2009 7:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cali Girl
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks nice! If the price was good, I would buy it. Tokai is usually good quality so you can't really go wrong with an old one.
marcusnieman
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool....didn't know there were two models. From what you've shown now, I'm thinking it looks legit. Fretboard markers are another identifying item to the catalog.

Is there a label inside the body?
royc
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it looks nice but I don't know if US$260 is a good price

I'm not sure if there' a label but he mentioned there is a serial number and that a check w/ the registry showed it's 1980. I doubt it though 'coz I only found it in the 1984/85 catalog. He didn't leave his number and it takes a long time for him to reply to my messages. I think I'll just meet him and check the guitar personally. Hopefully it is still unsold.

BTW I found a TEA80S and it shows the model number just under the neck joint inside the sound hole. I'm not sure if the translation is accurate though.

http://translate.google.com.ph/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://www.cats-eyes.biz/myguitar.htm&ei=TA0jSomLAY7m6gOXy6nFAw&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=3&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dtokai%2Btea80s%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG
marcusnieman
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

royc wrote:
Yes it looks nice but I don't know if US$260 is a good price

I'm not sure if there' a label but he mentioned there is a serial number and that a check w/ the registry showed it's 1980. I doubt it though 'coz I only found it in the 1984/85 catalog. He didn't leave his number and it takes a long time for him to reply to my messages. I think I'll just meet him and check the guitar personally. Hopefully it is still unsold.

BTW I found a TEA80S and it shows the model number just under the neck joint inside the sound hole. I'm not sure if the translation is accurate though.

http://translate.google.com.ph/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://www.cats-eyes.biz/myguitar.htm&ei=TA0jSomLAY7m6gOXy6nFAw&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=3&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dtokai%2Btea80s%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG

$260 is a great price for an electric/acoustic.....and a Tokai to boot.
royc
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the tokai!

I love the looks, everything from the design and wood to the inlays. Strange but it says TEA60D though it is not deep body and only has 2 knobs. Probably a wrong stamp. It also has 5 as the first digit so I assume it's an 85.

It is not as loud as my old jumbo but the sound is full considering it's shallow body though it lacks volume. Strings are old and I can't wait to change the strings to see if it sounds bright which is my preferece.

Got passive pickup and a noticeable hum that sometimes faints when I move the guitar. Not fair to compare w/ the electronics of my jumbo's b-band though. Perhaps a visit to the luthier will fix it.

There's a small area near the bottom binding that has a damaged finish. Upon inspection there appears to be a hairline crack that apparently the previous owner fixed with glue that may have eaten the finish. You need to look very close to see the crack though.

Overall I'm happy with the purchase, considering that I didn't spend much and it looks much better than my black jumbo (my wife likes it) that I had to let go to fund this purchase. I wonder what size of hardcase I will need for this.

Thanks for all the help!
Cali Girl
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

$260, how can you go wrong, I'm glad you got it.
royc
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Cali Girl

After replacing the strings it sounds much better now, like the strings are ringing inside a chamber with each strum. And it looks really good on my avatar haha.

I just have to bring it to a luthier 'coz it has high action and to fix the hum.
marcusnieman
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

royc wrote:
I got the tokai!

I love the looks, everything from the design and wood to the inlays. Strange but it says TEA60D though it is not deep body and only has 2 knobs. Probably a wrong stamp. It also has 5 as the first digit so I assume it's an 85.

It is not as loud as my old jumbo but the sound is full considering it's shallow body though it lacks volume. Strings are old and I can't wait to change the strings to see if it sounds bright which is my preferece.

Got passive pickup and a noticeable hum that sometimes faints when I move the guitar. Not fair to compare w/ the electronics of my jumbo's b-band though. Perhaps a visit to the luthier will fix it.

There's a small area near the bottom binding that has a damaged finish. Upon inspection there appears to be a hairline crack that apparently the previous owner fixed with glue that may have eaten the finish. You need to look very close to see the crack though.

Overall I'm happy with the purchase, considering that I didn't spend much and it looks much better than my black jumbo (my wife likes it) that I had to let go to fund this purchase. I wonder what size of hardcase I will need for this.

Thanks for all the help!

Atta boy.
ChristopherG
Plucker

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did the new strings go?
Just bought a Black 84 TEA 60S myself.
Got any more info about them?
royc
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChristopherG wrote:
How did the new strings go?
Just bought a Black 84 TEA 60S myself.
Got any more info about them?

Installed martin strings light and got plenty of harmonics--love it so much I spent my time just strumming open Gs and C9s. Had the bridge sanded a bit by a luthier to lower the action then had the nut and saddle replaced w/ bone. Had the strings replaced w/ thicker addarios and I lost some harmonics. Will try to go back to martin light and see what happens. Also considering DR strings.

The luthier made the hum disappear but I miss the b-band transducer on my old ibanez.

I can't find other info on this model except for the catalogs. How's your TEA?
ChristopherG
Plucker

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will try the Martin Lights.
Keep in contact
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Acoustics All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: