MIC Burny's

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simon_62

Reaction score
Whats the verdict on these? I'm seriously considering getting the "Slash" model (RLG-50SL i believe) and dropping in a set of Gibson '57s and RS Superpots in there that i have lying around spare, anything i should know about them that could put me off?

I'm looking for a very close LP tone so mahogany body & neck with maple top obviously - i know a lot of these MIC guitars tend to substitute maple in on the neck and often other woods for the body but as long as its a similar tone i dont care what they use lol! :p

My opinion on the MIC Burnys is that they are excellent guitars, body & necks are mahogany. My local shop has quite a few in stock, and I was amazed when I played one, for the money IMO they can't be beaten.

Also the new Japanese made Burny's like the RLG-105 are often overlooked in favour of Tokai/Edwards, they are up there in quality with the best!

Pegcityrocker said:
John, what are the necks like on these Chinese Burny's? Are they the slim 60's style grip? Are the necks one piece mahogany?

Yes one piece mahogany, the standards I've tried are all pretty fat '50's profiles where the customs a slimmer '60's profile.

Here's a bargain for you, not sure if they ship overseas:

http://www.j-guitar.com/sp/sea/view_detail/s11332440.html

I 've read a few reviews of MIC Burnys over the last 6 months. There is alot of snobbery about the origin (MIC), though I believe they are shipped to Japan once assembled for QA and then sold on.

Alot prefer the Burny over Epiphones.

These do ship worldwide:

http://en.item.rakuten.com/westmusi...rnyrlg105&vm=2&f=1&sid=222192&k=burny+rlg+105

The RLG 105 (standard model) and RLC115 (Custom) I believe are excellent and both are MIJ.

That looks like an excellent deal. I'm guessing the top is a flame laminate for that kind of money. 58,800 Yen for a Japanese Les Paul is a real steal.

Yeah its a fantastic deal and yep you're right; flame laminate! Heres the link for spec etc:

http://www.gakki.com/shop4/fernandes_burny.htm

There are probably cheaper sites that offer shipping. Theres currently one on ebay which is ?200 over price and a German shop that sells for ridiculous euro's too :roll: It seems the Japanese music outlets are increasing the price slowly on the older MIJ models. Still if you look long enough there are still bargains to be had!

I was all ready for buying when a bargain early 80's RLG 50 came along and that was that.

Alot prefer the Burny over Epiphones.
For me personally I'd rather have a guitar with the correct open book headstock shape than that goddamn awful boat oar of a headstock on the Epi's.
When I bought my Toaki MiC SG I could have gotten a G400 for a similar price but that ugly headstock puts me off...so I went with a MiC SG43 for half price coz it LOOKS and plays like an SG is supposed to.

img10282928570.jpeg

Slash model

Yeah I know what you mean with the Epi headstock...I pondered a good while watching on ebay for a couple of months and I did alot of research.

The MIC Burnys were compared as superior to the MIC and MIK Epi's. Whilst the MIJ Burnys (1980's onwards) such as your Slash model (Which I'd like!!) I have yet to read a bad review about. There was one on this or Japanaxe forum where the guitar came with a snapped headstock whilst being shipped, the guy got a refund, repaired it and still it was a great player.

Im yet to be convinced on the Epi front, it may say Les Paul but the headstock is wrong as you say!!

I've just sent Soundwave an email(in Japanese...make response more"timely")to see whether they ship outside of Japan.....coz I REALLY want this:
img10281290573.jpeg

Ozeshin said:
I've just sent Soundwave an email(in Japanese...make response more"timely")to see whether they ship outside of Japan.....coz I REALLY want this:

That ones got the 'sustainer', I Just picked up a Burny LP custom fitted with a sutainer and it's great fun!

leadguitar_323 said:
Those sustainers are great, you can even change the harmonic response too alter the feedback, good fun and feedback on tap.... :D

Mick

I just figured out it works even when the guitar isn't plugged in to an amp, controlled feedback at levels that wouldn't wake someone in the same room!!

I almost bought a Ravelle last year with the Sustainer in it....it's very addictive playing with that.

I'm sure this has been discussed before but, besides Japan where can someone like me buy a new Burny? Any dealers in the US or Canada? I like what I see and hear about the new Burnys but I would really like to actually touch one.

Dont suppose anyones seen a Goldtop MIC LP for sale in the UK recently? Think it would be the RGL-55 VGT model iirc :)

rlg55vgt.jpg

Latest posts

Back