Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

don't buy a Fender Blues Junior .....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Amps
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marcusnieman
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cali Girl wrote:

I just mean that these are my favorite practice amps, vintage ones are plentiful and affordable where I am. They sound great and are just the right size for the living room. I would rather buy a vintage Princeton or Champ than a new Fender of any type really.

Affordable? Where do you live? A nice blackface Princeton Reverb will go for $1800 out here. The Junior will kick it's butt too..... I can gig with the Junior but the Princeton just doesn't have the juice.
Cali Girl
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a plain Princeton, the reverb version is way more expensive. I bought a BF Princeton and BF Vibro Champ in the last year for less than $800 combined. I'm not far from you. I just watch craigslist and ask around for gear, go to estate sales and consignment shops and antique malls

I don't want to go on too much more of a tangent here. I just always found the Champ/Vibro Champ a really good value for a practice tube amp, better than buying something new, so I will shut up now.
marcusnieman
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cali Girl wrote:
Just a plain Princeton, the reverb version is way more expensive. I bought a BF Princeton and BF Vibro Champ in the last year for less than $800 combined. I'm not far from you. I just watch craigslist and ask around for gear, go to estate sales and consignment shops and antique malls

I don't want to go on too much more of a tangent here. I just always found the Champ/Vibro Champ a really good value for a practice tube amp, better than buying something new, so I will shut up now.

No worries......I had assumed that you were talking about vintage models...not the current stuff.

I have a 66 Princeton BF Reverb and a 67 Bronco (same amp as the Vibro Champ and still with the BF circuitry as most all of the 67 Fender amps). Great amps but very expensive now.... particularly for a practice amp. Here's the scoop on the Bronco:

http://www.ggjaguar.com/broncamp.htm
Cali Girl
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, vintage. 1965 and 1966.
stratman323

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it's hardly fair to compare a 60s Fender of any kind with a new amp costing about ?300 secondhand. You wouldn't compare a 1966 Burgundy with a 2006 and expect the new one to taste as good would you?
marcusnieman
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cali Girl wrote:
Yes, vintage. 1965 and 1966.

You bought both for $800??
Cali Girl
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, which is why I am comparing them to new practice amps. The silverface Vibro Champs from the seventies are everywhere, and they are not very expensive, so I think that's a fair comparison to a new practice amp, even if you don't get lucky and find a blackface at a good price.
marcusnieman
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stratfan
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just bought a 3 month old Blues Junior off Craigslist for $360, sound is very respectable for a practice amp. Seller also threw in a Fender platinum cable to sweeten the deal. Apparently she needed the money to get her crappy car back on the road...

Oh well, I guess that some are good and some aren't.
marcusnieman
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stratfan wrote:
Just bought a 3 month old Blues Junior off Craigslist for $360, sound is very respectable for a practice amp. Seller also threw in a Fender platinum cable to sweeten the deal. Apparently she needed the money to get her crappy car back on the road...

Oh well, I guess that some are good and some aren't.

NOS tweed model Limited Edition or the stock black tolex?
stratfan
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Standard black tolex, MIM, with Fender speaker made in USA. Only a couple months old, retails for about $550 and cable is worth about $50
marcusnieman
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stratfan wrote:
Standard black tolex, MIM, with Fender speaker made in USA. Only a couple months old, retails for about $550 and cable is worth about $50

Cool..... if you want to hot rod it, check out this site devoted to Blues Juniors (explore the categories on the right side under "pages"):

http://billmaudio.com/wp/

Here's a little blurb from the site regarding the two available circuit boards (USA green or MIM cream):

Old BJrs Sound Different
Fender has used two different circuit boards in the Blues Junior. The original green circuit board was in production from 1995 to early 2001. The later cream-colored board has been in production since mid-2001. Although the circuits are virtually identical (except for reverb), the cream board is much brighter, with livelier treble, than the green board. Where applicable, I?ve separated the mods appropriate to each. The green board reverb is prone to hiss and hum. See my Improving Green Board Reverb page. The Green boards were made in USA; production shifted to Mexico in 2001. There is no difference in quality.
stratfan
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Marcus.

Right now I am pretty happy with the sound from the Blues Junior. I know its not the best amp in the world, but for <$400, it is fantastic value.

Mine is made in Mexico, with the made in USA Fender speaker.
marcusnieman
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blake375
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using BJs for years, both cream-board and green-board, and been pretty much satisfied (reverb issues on the old US model are a bit annoying). Recently I've been eyeing up all these little 5-watters and powerscaling amps and was seriously considering making a purchase, but thought I'd have a good listen to the BJ first to make sure I could justify spending the money...

So last night I spent a couple of hours with my Mexican Blues Junior and my ST-55, and I really listened to the tone, and I fiddled with all the controls, and y'know what? No matter how I set it up, no matter what sloppy rubbish I played through it, there wasn't a single moment of bad tone. I sat there playing and thinking, "I f***ing love this amp!". So the 5-watter GAS has gone... for now at least...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Amps All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: