The Flying V

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluester

Reaction score
I'm interested in the Tokai Flying V, both the older Corina model and the newer alder/maple one. Does anyone have pics of either, besides the one in the Tokai Registry? Has anyone tried either model? Does the new one have a neckplate like Fender, or is it a different type och neck joint?

Hi Bluester,
I have played a 1984 TFV-70 in the Korina finish (body and neck are mahogany)and they are a great feeling and sounding guitar. They were exact to the Gibson specs at the start but had subtle changes to the headstock for the US market. They don't seem to have been available before 1983 though so they are difficult to find.
I have not tried the new model so cannot make comparisons.
Peter

Hey Peter, I am the owner of the "V" in the pic forum, we discussed the 4 Tok's that I own a couple of months ago, they're listed under Marcel's pic..The one I have is an 84' and your right they are nice, their much lighter than the Ibanez from the same era (77'), and a little more blusey in sound I think..According to the Canadian Dist., they are no longer available, I was told this when I requested a "V" decal, no parts either..This is the one Tokai I'm thinking of keeping....

Hi tojoe
Yeah, i remember the Love Rocks, etc. you have.
The Ibanez V of the late 70's was a really heavy guitar, I don't think the wood was cured properly as even Gibsons were lighter.
There is no substitute for good quality wood and Tokai had some of the best wood in the world during the 70's and 80's.
They really showed Gibson and Fender how to remake their designs.

Peter

oh, with the decal - stick a Gibson one on it and see how many "experts" pick the fake.

Oh the guilt Peter, no can do..I take pride in not having a Gibson "V", to me a V was made for the Japenese guitar maker, I remember seeing my first and only Ibanez V poster, it was Syl Sylvain from the NY Dolls at the time it couldn't be any cooler, and besides the Godfather of Soul scribbled on mine..So I'll stick to the Ibanez and the Tokai and I'll do that Chris Spedding thing and keep them guessing on the V..

Latest posts

Back