New (to me) Seymour Duncan DS-100

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

youami

Reaction score
This showed up on my birthday a couple of days ago from Japan...good timing! I'd been missing my blonde Fernandes Revival, so thought I'd grab a this when it came up. I haven't popped the hood yet, so I'm not sure what electrics are in it, though the pickups are SD SSL-1s. It's in pretty much mint condition and came in for around the price of a new Mexi Standard Strat...I'd much rather have this!

c.jpg

b.jpg

a.jpg

Here's it's older brother, my DS-185:

wellington012.jpg

And here's the Seymour Duncan series on the ESP website from a few years ago:

http://web.archive.org/web/20010815110507/www.espguitars.net/duncan/index.html

Fantastic .By the way what did Mary Kay play on her fabulous strats?I`ve never heard her.Gabe.

Jazz/Hawaiian stuff. And it's Mary Kaye. And she didn't even play a Strat for most of her career!

Mike

Awesome....that's a fantastic looking traditional..

I have two Seymour Duncan guitars as well. I've got a DS 250pro (which later became the 280) and a DT190. Just fantastic guitars. I see many 200 series on rinkya etc...for around 90 to 100 thousand yen...People should be snapping those up, considering they are probably better than many of the Tokai's and Greco's that hover around that same price.

Congratulations!

And BIG thanks for that web link...that's just what I've been looking for!

Good to see I'm not the only Duncan fan around here, be nice to see some pics of your two. There's a Burgundy Mist DS-200 that's been languishing on Ishibashi's U-box for ages, just over YEN100,000, not bad for a Strat built to Navigator/Van Zandt specs. My traditional is every bit as good as the Bacchus BST-62 that I used to own, except for the different trem block.

No worries on the link. www.archive.org is awesome for looking up recent MIJ guitar history.

Yep. Sold it to a very lucky Kiwi who had no idea what he was getting, and at a bargain price too. Last time I do that!

The Bacchus was great, but I decided I could only justify owning one Strat, and my Duncan DS-185 sounded sweeter, so she had to go. Now I've gone and got myself another Strat...oops :oops:

Hey no problem...I always love and excuse to show them off!..lol..

The strat

SDstrat.jpg

and the tele

DSC04496.jpg

The strat I got off rinkya and the tele from ishibashi. I've seen that purple strat there as well. I don't really like that colour too much. Kind of jeff beck 90's to me. But it is a good price for the quality of guitar.

bluejeannot said:
How do the later Springy and Goldie steel blocks compare?Gabe.

Dunno, I've never even seen a Tokai Strat in person!

Nice DS-250. I want one, but can only stretch to the Traditionals while earning New Zealand Pesos :cry:

keep your eyes open for rinkya. I only paid about 15000 more yen for the 250 than that 200 on ishibashi. I knew I wanted it as soon as I saw it....the burst is somewhat unique in its color, and the circular grain pattern on the ash blew me away... I knew it was the higher end model but only ended up finding out after the fact that it was the pro level. So a little lucky in a way. I don't see too many pro's come up but I'd bet when they do they'll go for way less than they probably should.

Yep, that is a very nice single piece of ash you've got there. How heavy is your 250? Not in terms of pounds or KG, but just in general, ie light, medium, heavy, anvil.

My 200 is heavy, verging on anvil, definitely the heaviest strat I've owned. I forgive her as she sounds sweet. My 100 is more of a medium weight.

I would say very light. In fact I'd call it a feather compared to my other guitars. The only guitar I have that is lighter would be my Greco SG special. I have an alder aria pro II strat that's nearly as heavy as my ObG LP. And the tele is a huge hunk of wood too. Pretty heavy as well.

Hey youami...did you see this?

http://www.rinkya.com/twview.pl?URL=http://page7.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/g74743328

If it stays that low I'd almost be tempted to bid on it...even though I've got the same thing....that would just be a sick deal,,,and at 100 000 it's not bad either.

I think I'll let it pass but remembered you're thread.

Yep, I saw that. Looks awesome! I'm slightly suspicious though as a DS-250 is meant to be a 1 piece body, but there is definitely a centre join visible in the neck pocket.

Here's a DS-200 for a bargain price:

http://page10.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/m67685915

I think the second price listing means "buy now", am I right or just dreaming? If I'm right, then you're getting a Custom Shop equivalent strat for the price of a new Fender Japan TX model...not bad at all.

No...my 250 is two piece as well. I think the one piece started with the 280. Don't know for sure though. One piece would be nice but they do such a good book matching job I'd bet it has no difference what so ever.

Yep that's a buy it now price. All you have to do is bid at that price and rinkya will buy it out for you!...LOL..

That is a steal then for sure. Unfortunately, anything above 50,000 Yen is well out of my price range at the moment.

Something curious that I noticed in the SD catalogue link:

The DS-100 states the finish is "Lacquer top"
The DS-200 states that the finish is "All lacquer"

This makes me wonder about the stickers on some Japanese guitars that say "Top lacquer finish" - is it only the top coat?
I'm just worried now that when I've told people that "Top Lacquer" means a nitro finish (was told this by a dealer regarding Bacchus) that maybe it's only the top coat, and I've been giving out bad info.
It may vary with different makers as well, I'm pretty confident that Bacchus is all nitro on the hand made range, and I know the Bacchus Craft series is poly finish.

I am also interested in a SD Strat, but would prefer a rosewood board, there is this one on Rinkya, but I can't figure out the trem and model:
http://page7.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/g80246595

The gist of it seems to be that the seller thinks it's a DS-200R with a factory modified trem set-up. Any ideas?
Also, what are the necks like on your DSs, fat or slimmer?

Back