Attenuator for Hod Rod Deluxe

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keir

Reaction score
I had decided that attenuators were way too expensive for me, then I saw this on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Output-Tamer-Attenuator-Power-Soak-8-ohm-version_W0QQitemZ300305620298QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar_Amp_Accessories?hash=item300305620298&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A1|39%3A1|240%3A1318

Has anyone had any experience with these? The price is right. How would it sound with my new amp? I haven't been able to crank it yet, way too loud.

What will you need the attenuator for? To get the volume down or to get your output tubes in saturation?

If you just need to get the volume down put a volume box in the effects loop.

A good attenuator costs good money. A cheap one will sound just like that.

Maybe spare the money on a good attenuator, sell the HRD and get a different amp?

What sound are you after?

Grodon

I'd use it to drive the tubes at lower volume. While I don't need an amp as loud the HRD, I really like the clean sound, and if I could get a decent cheap attenuator that would just be a bonus.

Have you tried to crank the amp w/o the attenuator? Do you like that sound.
I have gigged a friends Reissue Deluxe. At high volume, you get nice dirt and grit but not much more.
You will also go through tubes fast.
I have tried a Power Soak on my Fender Twin and Super 60 (which I all sold) and I find cranked 6L6s not so sexy.

To sound right, the speaker also needs a certain "load".

If you will just play in the bedroom, try and get a bedroom amp.

I have a Park G-10R for home use. Still way to loud if cranked, but it sounds allright, has a decent speaker and should be cheaper than cheap used.

I use mostly Rivera Amps for gigs. Worth every Penny over your regular Fenders or Marshalls.

I think attenuators are a bit like Marmite (or Vegemite) - you either love them or hate them. I was persuaded by certain people on here that I needed to get one, so I bought a Weber Mass on eBay to use with my Vibroverb & Blues Deluxe.

Hated it - it reduced volume, true, but it sucked all the life out of the tone, far more than I imagined possible. Maybe attenuators work with Marshalls, but not with Fenders, IMHO.

If I was you, I would just buy an overdrive pedal you like, such as a Tubescreamer, and use that to get the overdrive sound you want at lower volumes. It could well give you a much better sound than an attenuator.

I'm sure others will disagree though.

Mike

The lead guitarist in my band uses a Weber Minimass with a Deluxe Reverb and a Gibson SG. It sucks some tone but the amp gets a chance to work the tubes properly which adds quite a bit of tone in itself- I'd say the advantages outweigh the disadvantages.
I can see an attenuator could rob single coils of their jangle, it does dull the tone a little.

/Magnus

Hey there
Theres a volume control box out there by Omnisonic that works a treat,it simply goes in your effects loop.(as long as you have one).they are rather cheap as well,ive been using mine for about a year now with no worries..
worth a try anyway..
Jason.

Thanks all, I think I probably won't worry about an attenuator now, especially a cheap one.

bewithdennis said:
Hey there
Theres a volume control box out there by Omnisonic that works a treat,it simply goes in your effects loop.(as long as you have one).they are rather cheap as well,ive been using mine for about a year now with no worries..
worth a try anyway..
Jason.

As for the volume box, that is a different thing if I'm not mistaken - just volume not power.

can so many people be sooo wrong?

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Effects/product/Omnisonic/Volume+Control+Box/10/1

Dont knock it till youve tried it!
peace
Jason

There's nothing wrong with the volume control, but it works as a master volume and sits either between preamp stage one and stage two or between preamp stage two and power amp. This means it will never give you power tube saturation at lower volumes.
BTW, I agree with Mick- driving the speakers properly is essential for a good sound. That's one of the reasons 30 watters sound so good!

bewithdennis said:
can so many people be sooo wrong?

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Effects/product/Omnisonic/Volume+Control+Box/10/1

Dont knock it till youve tried it!
peace
Jason

Well the first review is by someone calling himself Terd Ferguson!

:eek:

Can Harmony Central be wrong? Think of a product that you know is rubbish, then check the reviews. If lots of people have posted favourable reviews, you have your answer.

Could so many people in any country pick the wrong President/Prime Minister?

:wink:

stratman323 said:
Can Harmony Central be wrong? Think of a product that you know is rubbish, then check the reviews. If lots of people have posted favourable reviews, you have your answer.

It is extremely hard to find a review of anything that's lower than say, 8/10, I have noticed that myself.

Harmony central is like wikipedia, take both with a grain of salt. I have used plenty of volume pedals in my time and i often used them for a softer tone as the volume is rolled off, especially when used with distortion.

Mick

leadguitar_323 said:
I have used plenty of volume pedals in my time and i often used them for a softer tone as the volume is rolled off, especially when used with distortion.

Mick

A bit like turning the volume knob on the guitar down a bit?

I have a new weber mass 150 and I dont notice any real tone degradation really, but I dont use it for whisper quiet, just to get my output tubes working a bit, it gives me a sound that I simply couldn't get before without blowing walls down, ie clean setting with just a smidgen of power tube saturation, so for me its something I only use for a particular situation really, but I do think its a very nice piece of kit..

Back