Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'Lawsuit model' - a cautionary tale
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
james
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2002 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is it that nearly every old Tokai you see advertised nowadays makes this claim?! I've lost count of the number of Goldstar Sounds I've seen advertised that are supposed to be the 'fabled lawsuit model'.
I rang an ad the other day that claimed this, and even said something like 'original 70s logo' but it turned out to be a Goldstar. The guy was a dealer and he obviously didn't have a clue.
Now, I know we're all learning here, but it just goes to show how cynical some people are about using these buzzwords to pump up the price, without really knowing what they're talking about. So before you part with your hard earned, do your research here! (BTW, I'm not knocking Goldstars - I have one and its great - but they're not the rarity that some people would have you believe). OK, end of rant. Just remember people: be careful out there.

James
ned
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2002 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James,

Your absolutely right. Don't know how many angled headstock models I've seen on eBay that are advertised as Lawsuit models. Most of it is people hearing about the "lawsuit", which btw there was never any lawsuits, and think all Tokai's are "lawsuit" models. Or they are trying to dupe unknowing people into thinking they are buying something that they are not.

Unfortunately, there are dishonest people out there.

Ned

Porsche 911 Racing
Peter Mac
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2002 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi James and Ned
My understanding is there never was a lawsuit, just a threat of one.
The basis was that the springy sound had the word "STRAT" in the discription and Fender owned a copyright of the word. (Notice that only the springys' name was altered and not the breezys'.)
Because of this threat from Fender, Tokai changed the headstock shape and logos for sale to the US market. The rest of the world got a logo change. All this kinda happened around 1982-83..?
I think Ned said before , after asking the Tokai President, that NO lawsuit ever ensued.

Some of these comments may not be 100% accurate but should be pretty close.

Peter
TommyR
Power chords are my friend

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2002 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose that if there was no lawsuit nobody can talk about lawsuit tokais full stop. I think the idea of lawsuit depends on where you're from. In the US, a 'lawsuit' Tokai may be considered to be one with the unaltered headstock; in Europe (where we've always had the correctly shaped headstocks) many would consider the lawsuit models to be those with the 7okai script logo. And to confuse matters further, I'm sure that I saw an AST or an ATE model on ebay recently with the 7okai logo and altered headstock!
james
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2002 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally I think its ignorance plus a bit of deviousness from some. But also I think people like to glamourize guitars with a bit of myth and mystery: hence a threat is exaggerated to become a lawsuit. Dealers love it and propagate these ideas further, but we're all a bit guilty of it, in that it increases the pleasure of 'discovering' one of these guitars. The first one I bought I picked up in the shop because it was a Tokai and I'd heard all the 'lawsuit' stuff, but in the end I bought it because it played and sounded great. Personally thats why I don't go for eBay - I'll buy a guitar because I experience it to be good, not because someone I don't know tells me its good, or just because its a Tokai. After all, I'm sure Tokai is just as capable of making a few dogs as any other maker (not that I've ever played one ).

James
loverockerUK

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2002 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

null

Last edited by loverockerUK on Sat Mar 13, 2004 6:08 am; edited 1 time in total
javelin70
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2002 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually there were Tokai logo's for sale at ebay.com a month or so ago!

Michael
james
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2002 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heres another eBay 'lawsuit' Tokai:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=850064366

An all black Super Edition with locking trem! Although the locking nut has been removed to give it a pre-CBS vibe apparently
This ad also has that bit of seller's bullsh*t that annoys me the most: apparently its a 'player's guitar'. What does that mean?! As opposed to what exactly? Are we supposed to believe that because its got non-original parts and is a bit beat up that this is somehow is a positive selling point? Please tell me I'm not the only one who finds this annoying?
james
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2002 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It just gets worse:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=860032807

Apparently this one is a late 70s model Breezy
An early appearance for the angled headstock then! I'm tempted to email the seller, but it looks like a dealer so they probably won't care about the inaccuracy of their information.

James
james
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2002 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mailed them anyway. Lets see if they change their description....
Teenslain
Plucker

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2002 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re: Michael's post

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=858634556

Springy Sound buyers beware!

Joe
james
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2002 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, fair enough, they mailed me back and amended their description. My work here is done
loverockerUK

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2002 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

null

Last edited by loverockerUK on Sat Mar 13, 2004 6:09 am; edited 1 time in total
james
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2002 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why doesn't he say that on the ad then? Another case of omission of information that ends up misleading people. The current bid is GB?39.50 (!) and I can't believe anyone would pay that if they knew it was faked. I don't think it matters if its fake (so long as you know it) and cheap and you want to restore a Tokai, but I'm concerned that these will start turning up on non-Tokai guitars and people will get ripped off. All the more reason to get as much info as we can here about other identification methods (e.g. pickups, body codes, serial numbers, etc).

James
loverockerUK

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2002 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

null

Last edited by loverockerUK on Sat Mar 13, 2004 6:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: