• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Tokai Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

FS- Tokai LP Custom on USA ebay with the gibson shaped heads

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krameree

Reaction score
Hi All

just searching for a good Tokai LP custom in the USA for my bro in the USA and came across this. Looks really nice, esp that its worn in a tad. Let me know what you think, everything else has the non gibson headstock

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&item=120393174730

Cheers

Krameree

I'd have to question this, though:

"it does not have that horrible nitro finish that gums up your hands like any standard les paul"

:eek:

AlanN said:
I'd have to question this, though:

"it does not have that horrible nitro finish that gums up your hands like any standard les paul"

:eek:

Yeah, I bet it has been dunked in poly as an upgrade :)

Hey, and the Toggle switch works 95% of the time ... :-?

Do you guys play Gibson??? Are you on the wrong forum, this is the Tokai forum you know :lol: Have you got a clue about Tokais??????
All the non custom shop tokais are poly finished and like the seller I have to agree, all the Gibson LP's I've played have a sticky nitro finish and pathetic build quality.
tokai make guitars 100% better than gibson and I'd rather have a dodgy toggle than a guitar with an incorrect neck angle!!

So what if it has Tokai on the headstock, I'd rather have tokai on the headstock than get ripped off on a nitro finished, badly made gibson guitar!

correct me if I'm wrong lads, or even better prove to me I'm wrong as I've not seen nitro finishes on the entry MIJ tokais

No, you a right, the entry level models all have poly finish, but step up to a LS150 which is still less money than a Gibson Standard and these are nitro finished.

It's a personal thing though, and while most people prefer nitro, the difference in playability is not great, and the difference in tone is certainly less than I can hear.

I think the point was the seller was trying to market the poly finish as a selling point, saying it's better than nitro, 90% of people, myself included, would disagree with this.

AlanA and Bluefinger, you guys obviously know much about Tokai guitars especially as you have been members for so long!!!Educate the lesser mortals on Tokai construction which 1's have nitro :lol: :lol:

thanks johnA, you have a valid point. I've have had both nitro and poly finished les pauls and in a blind test no one I know could tell the difference. However I hate nitro when it gets sticky so went with Tokais years ago. also the Gibson build quality is terrible!!! Not saying tokais are perfect tho!

krameree said:
come on AlanA and Bluefinger, you guys obviously know so much about Tokai guitars especially as you have been members for so long!!!Educate the lesser mortals on Tokai construction :lol: :lol: :lol:

This does not come across very well.

krameree said:
correct me if I'm wrong lads, or even better prove to me I'm wrong as I've not seen nitro finishes on the entry MIJ tokais

I tried not to bite, but oh well.

Your original statement:

"All the non custom shop tokais are poly finished"

Wrong. Plenty of production models have nitro finishes. You don't have to custom order them.

"prove to me I'm wrong as I've not seen nitro finishes on the entry MIJ tokais"

That's because entry level Tokais don't have nitro finishes. However, nobody had mentioned entry level guitars up to this point, which leaves me thinking you're a mental and there's some part of this conversation which only went on in your head, so I'm bowing out. I'll leave everyone else to educate you as to why nitro is more desirable if they can be bothered.

Oh, and you might want to speak to "your bro" about the 2001 Custom you bought from Music Ground in Leeds that you posted about so much, as it's almost identical to that auction! Sounds like it's the kind of great guitar he'd like, especially as he has the same rare taste in poly finishes as both you and that amazing eBay seller does! Hope that helps!

On an entirely unconnected note, It's not a crime to post your own auctions here. It'd be strange to post one pretending it was somebody elses, wouldn't it?

Such a bite.....classic!!! :D

so couple of things, I was not on about any other guitar but the 1 in the auction hence wondered why the comment about nitro. Your reply about the nitro implied poly shouldnt have been on that guitar. In fact if you read this threat the comment actually implies something is wrong with the guitar for not having nitro. You insult me and call me mental when it was pretty obvious the guitar in the auction is an entry level MIJ Tokai. Now thats not a nice thing to do is it?? I pretty sure you wouldnt say that to my face :wink:

Yes I'm bad, I asked opinion of an auction however like you said that isnt an issue. I wanted opinions about the guitar especially as it can be difficult to identify Tokai guitars. You should, as I know, I was shipped a SEB bodied 120 from a dealer who though it was a standard model.

So have you ever thought about being helpfull on this site???

PS poly, nitro, oil who's to say what is the best (tone, environment, stability)

krameree said:
So have you ever thought about being helpfull on this site???

I think you'll find that the vast majority of people find this a very helpful forum - check the old posts. And if you do that, you'll find that two of the people who often help others are John & Alan.

Now, shall I go and play one of my nitro finished Tokais, or one of my poly finished Tokais?

My initial comment was purely to do with the auction stating that nitro was a horrible finish. I'm happy with you preferring poly - different strokes for different folks - but dismissing nitro as "horrible" will always get you some baffled replies. Like John said - and I think he's being conservative with 90% - most players prefer the feel of nitro (I personally believe the "tone improvement" is a load of guff).

The guitar is fine! I wasn't implying anything about it.

You didn't ask an opinion; you invented some strange story to back up you posting the link ("just searching for a good Tokai LP custom in the USA for my bro in the USA and came across this"). No idea why, we're all happy with eBay links here - and more than happy to give out info.

I think you'll find me much more helpful when I'm not asked if I have a clue about Tokais in reply to a throwaway post about your strange poly preference!

I'm with Alan..we don't like sneaky pricks here...PERIOD..!!!
As for being helpful?
We have a new member to these forums who can't even tune a guitar yet let alone play it and maybe you should go read THAT thread to see what HIS opinion has been of the help that he's been given.
http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=12873
If you had been up front about you bullsh!t post to begin with you may have not put half the forum into defense mode..fair enough? 8)

OK think we got cross wires here, Hey Ho! so lets put this thread to bed.
1 think good has come of this is the nitro debate! I'm going with the majority of guitar brands that dont use it (PRS, Tom Anderson, Tyler etc) however I've only played Gibson nitro (which I obviously hate) so maybe Tokai have got it right, they certainly build better LP guitars!

What about graphite??? ONLY JOKING!!!!!

Laters

Kramer

PS I'm not mental, the voices in my head can prove it! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oze, bit harsh don't you think? I asume the thought are that krameree is the seller. krameree can you clear that up?

Back