Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Identifying and questions re: Tokai Love Rock
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Vintage (Older than 1985)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leadguitar_323
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you have the strings off, take a pic of the underside of the pickups, if its a ls80 it should have tokai paf's, there may also be some writing in the front cavity. I am completely self taught so i suppose i am no help on the learning side.

Mick
michaeld
I only know 3 chords

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this point in my guitar-handling life, it's nothing but PWKWTHTD (that's 'People Who Know What The Hell They're Doing). I imagine that restringing a guitar is probably easy for PWKWTHTD. But for me it's like rocket science - and I'd let PWKWTHTD launch my rockets for me, too.

When I get it restrung I'll ask the music guy to check things like you're saying and tell me what he finds.
stratman323

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

michaeld wrote:
Frankly (knowing nothing about guitars) I always thought that it was just some "cheap Japanese imitation."

Now I've read that at least quite a few people think the Tokai guitars were better quality than the Fenders they were "copying."

Well I suppose they were "copies" of the classic designs, & they were relatively cheap at the time. But people at the time said they were excellent quality, & time has proved them correct. I own Fenders & I love them, but I usually have a Tokai & a Fender with me at a gig.

Learning to play? If you can find a good teacher, try that. DVDs can be good too. Whatever you do, you just need to spend some time on it. Once you learn the basics, it's surprising what you can pick up from playing along with CDs & working out how they make those noises.

However you do it, try it. The rewards are huge (I don't mean financially).
stratman323

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

michaeld wrote:
One thing: I've got a missing fingertip on my right index finger (and I'm right handed - and yes, btw, it DID hurt when it got smashed off) just above the upper joint. I would therefore need to learn to play with a pick. How much of a downer is that for me?

Loads of wonderful players never use their fingers, & are lost without a plectrum. Look up B.B.King on YouTube. Massively influential, yet never known to play without a plectrum. Google Django Reinhardt. He only had two fingers left on his left hand, yet he helped to define modern jazz guitar. Google Tony Iommi (from Black Sabbath) - he lost the tip of one his right fingers (he's left handed), & he's no slouch on guitar. I think he got a false tip made for his finger. And didn't the drummer from Def Leppard carry on playing drums after he lost an arm?

You have no excuses!
Ozeshin
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And poor Jon Fruciante from RHCP has five thumbs on his left hand..>FIVE THUMBS can you imagine that..he's overcome that to rise to mediocrity...sorry Mike I couldn't resist...I owe you one free shot at Gary Moore's gurning accident
stratman323

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised it took you this long to jump in and slag poor little Johnny off, Oze. I'm sure it's only because he gets a better tone than you do - you're jealous aren't you?

Ozeshin
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes...I'm booked in to have my toes sewn onto my hands in an attempt to reach his "level"
AlanN
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael - I'm right handed, and missing the top of my right middle finger myself. I'm no guitar god, but I can play a bit and still do some fingerstyle...

Where abouts are you based?
stratman323

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlanN wrote:
I'm no guitar god, but I can play a bit and still do some fingerstyle...

He can indeed. Check out the vids from the convention in Leeds last weekend to see Alan play.

I never even noticed any shortcoming in the digit dept.
JohnA
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlanN wrote:
Michael - I'm right handed, and missing the top of my right middle finger myself. I'm no guitar god, but I can play a bit and still do some fingerstyle...

You are far too modest Alan, you can do a whole lot more than 'play a bit'
AlanN
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks gents.

Mike - it's not for the faint of heart, but here's a pic of when the dressing was first changed just after the surgery. Looked much worse a few weeks before!
stratman323

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not going to look at the pic, but I do remember now that you reported the injury on here. I don't need to ask if it healed ok!
AlanN
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's ok, though it does try to pull the whole of my right hand into a claw shape from time to time (something to do with the nerve being shortened). Ah well, I'll keep fighting it
michaeld
I only know 3 chords

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlanN wrote:

I'm in the Palm Springs area (in California, USA). I actually live in a smaller town about 7 miles north called Desert Hot Springs, but no one's heard of it (even though it has some of the best tasting water in the world).

I clicked on the pic and saw that beauty of a finger, Alan. Looks like I lost a bit more, as I don't have any fingernail part. Looks great when I fake picking my nose (when you got a finger in up to the joint, THAT'S a nose picking!).

But I'm glad to hear I can work around it.

Wanted to say you guys are alright, especially those of you who know what you're doing around a guitar, but are willing to waste time with wannabes like me.

Well, it sounds like I've got a good solid instrument to work with. One reason to buy a cheap guitar to learn on is that I would be able to blame my crappy tones on the cheap guitar ("If I had a decent guitar, I'd sound a whole lot better than this, you know...").

I'd like to learn to get involved in church worship. I've also always loved music, and it would be nice to get off the sidelines (and the shower, where of course I sing awesome), as it were.

I'm really eclectic in my tastes. I would like to say I like good music - period. I mean, I like a lot of big band songs (especially stuff by Glenn Miller). I like quite a bit of jazz, especially performed live (I've listened to John Coltrane's "Love Supreme" album a thousand times). I like Miles Davis, Thelonious Monk, Charlie Christian, Benny Goodman, and trumpeter Stan Getz. I like a lot of church hymns and contemporary worship music. But my favorite music is the rock I grew up listening to as a kid: Rush, Pink Floyd, Yes, the Alan Parsons Project, have to admit it - Black Sabbath, AC/DC, the Eagles, Boston, Kansas, the Grateful Dead, Styx, Blue Oyster Cult, Led Zeppelin, Queen. I'm all over the board, and don't mind one bit. I like to listen to Sarah Brightman. Heck, I liked the Go Go's song "our lips are sealed" and Wham's "wake me up before you go go." What can I say? If me likey, me likey.

When I was going to a community college in Eugene, Or, I took a music appreciation course taught by a guy who played cello for the Eugene Symphony and played in a quartet called "the Oregon Mozart Players." He gave students tickets to the Eugene Symphony dress rehearsals. It was awesome watching all the violin bows moving in perfect harmony, and hearing the synchronized music from so many different instruments. One of my favorite classes, ever.

I suppose what I'll do is start with what I've already got, learn to change to a few chords (what are the best chord transitions to practice?), and look for a class or a teacher.

There's a DVD program called "Learn & Master Guitar" I was looking at, but I was wondering if I'd do better with a teacher.

I'd like to learn such that I can play whatever I want.
michaeld
I only know 3 chords

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Btw,

A couple folk said it my guitar is an LS-80. What is it that IDs it for you as an LS80 versus all the OTHER "LS" guitars?

Just curious.

It's frankly kind of amazing to me that Tokai made guitars that are so visually similar to one another in so many different 'iterations.'
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Vintage (Older than 1985) All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: