UK Tokai Owners convention photos

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iainblack

Reaction score
Thought I 'd get mine in early while the lads will still be in the pub!!! Great day with lots of passionate folks having fun. Mike will have full caption versions.

My exhibits:

DSC03461.jpg

TST40 Brothers

DSC03460.jpg

Blues Brothers

DSC03468.jpg

Lower Thropshire pensioner club annual meeting? 8) :p
Ya pack of mongrels...now me and Mick have to arrange an Aussie meet...can't let the poms beat us at ANYTHING..!!! :evil:

Ozeshin said:
now me and Mick have to arrange an Aussie meet...can't let the poms beat us at ANYTHING..!!! :evil:

Bit late for that Oz, me old mate.

UK 1, Australia 0.

:wink:

I'm sorting out my pics now, will post them later. I think JohnA will do the list of names, he has all the details. I could do most of them, but I don't want to offend the couple of people whose names I can't remember. I think he's out at rehearsal now, no doubt with his white Bacchus Strat, that sounds gorgeous, but which has a neck like a baseball bat!

1 minor correction to Iain's caption above, the two white Goldies are an ST50 & an ST40.

I love the mirror image pic, I wish I had thought of that. It's my 1986 Fender US 62RI in Candy Apple Red. The very thin nitro has worn a lot, most of it natural. The other one is the only Goldie I didn't get to try, but I assume it's a 1984 ST55 in Metallic Red. OK, it's had an easier life than mine, but it was interesting how little wear all of the 9 Goldies had to their finish. Clearly poly lasts longer! Metallic Red is also very close to Candy Apple, strange that Tokai didn't pinch the name, like they did with Lake Placid Blue & Olympic White.

Great day out guys, thanks to you all, I'll post mine later, & I have some captions about what the Goldies are.

Mike

It was a great day :D Lost count of how many great guitars I tried.

Thanks to all concerned. It was good to meet a such nice bunch of people with a shared interest.

Special thanks to John for finally getting us all together, Tom for arranging the room and Alan and Adrian + wife for looking after us in Headingley.

I think there will be quite a few more photo's to come and hopefully a couple of interesting videos :D

Dave

The time flew by in the club - all of a sudden people were leaving and I still hadn't spoken to everyone, so apologies if I missed you and I'll catch you next time. Thanks to John and Tom for their hard work, and thanks to everyone else - a pleasure to meet you all at last.

DSC03476.jpg
[/quote]

Fantastic day, hard to pick a highlight, but listening to AlanN making my LS120 and JTM-45 sound fantastic was definetely one of them!!

Will post my pics later here's a list so you know which mongrel's which! :wink:

Back Row Left-right
imosdad (Dave)
Stratman323 (Mike)
DaveWW (Dave)
Adidos (Tony)
JohnA (John)
AlanN (Alan)

Front Row Row Left-right
Japaxes (Gerald)
Mirrorboy (Tom)
IainBlack (Iain)

Great bunch of blokes - Thanks for a great day!!

There were 2 springys there but don't kow if there were any photos taken together. The Red left handed Goldie was Jez's mates and it is a Fender body with a Tokai neck.

Tom's metallic pink Goldie was a beauty. I was amazed that there were no sunburst goldies. the two springys were.

Time did fly, i had some great chats but did't feel there was enough time to get to talk to everyone and fin out about their guitars.

The pub did a mean pizza too! Well done for making it happen to the organisers. It will be interesting to see if the Tokai guys have any views about coming to the next one?

I will put up the rest of my shots later

I didn't get many pics either

IMG_1352.jpg

Alan playing my ES130

IMG_1353.jpg

Alan's mate Adrian (not a member) was filmed by Tom doing some comparative tests. Playing through his Hot Rod Deluxe, he tried 3 different Goldies, two with Tokai pickups, & mine with Duncan's. Then he tried both Springy ST80s, Alan's with Es & mine with Texas Specials. And John's Bacchus too, so hopefully the vids will be useful, once Tom gets around to sorting them out.

Later, Tom filmed Alan playing old & new LPs through John's Ceriatone/Marshall.

So could we reach agreement on which pickups were best? Of course we couldn't! Opinions varied, some liked the warmer/fatter sounding pickups, other preferred the thinner/brighter Tokais. The truth is they all had something to be said for them. A very interesting test.

The highlight was meeting everybody, but the guitar highlight for me was getting 8 right handed Goldies together in one place - and not a Sunburst one anywhere. :p If only I had brought my black one, & John his Metallic Red one. I couldn't resist getting my pic taken with 8 gorgeous 25 year old models. :wink:

IMG_1344c2.jpg

In the background, Alan is talking to Dave, Tom has his back to us, & Adrian is playing Alan's ES120.

Onto the guitars. It was a great day for anyone who loves custom colour Strats. Luckily I do. The blues won it for me.

IMG_1335.jpg

L to R.
ST55 Sonic Blue (SO) - Iain. Hard to believe that this is Sonic Blue, looks more like Surf Green, but the code says SO.
Bacchus BST64 - Lake Placid Blue? - John. Although maybe this isn't LPB?
ST50 colour code not known - Dave (imosdad). I guess this must be MB, same as Iain's.
ST55 - Metallic Blue (MB) - Iain

Strange that Dave's blue one is an ST50 - a custom colour Goldie should be a 55, but it was the only one with a sticker.

IMG_1337.jpg

In the background, Iain plays Dave's Firebird while John takes a pic. Dave also had a Tokai Jazz bass JB50 in a darker metallic blue, but I didn't get a picture of that. Hard to pick a favourite, I thought I would go for Iain's matching headstock blue/green beauty, but Dave's rosewood board blue beauty would just edge into the lead for me. Dave - didn't you say you'd had it from new?

The Goldies all together:

IMG_1343.jpg

My Olympic White ST50, Iain's Sonic Blue ST55, Dave's Metallic Blue ST50, Iain's Metallic Blue ST55, Tom's very pink (PP) ST55(?), Jez's Olympic White ST40 (changed scratchplate), Jez's Flamingo Orange ST55. Iain's Olympic White ST40.

And every one of them was nice. 8) Good condition, playing well, ageing beautifully. All the rosewood board ones had gorgeous, dark, close-grained rosewood, the quality was consistent, as expected.

Also there were John's 3 Love Rocks - though after trying the Goldtop, I don't think I tried the others! Alan & Dave both had newer Love Rocks. I think there was a Fender Japan Strat that I didn't get round to trying, & there were a couple more that I can't remember. A very impressive collection all round.

So, where's the next one? London? Or are you going to let them down under go next?

iainblack said:
The Red left handed Goldie was Jez's mates and it is a Fender body with a Tokai neck.

Oh yeah, I think you did tell me that. So it'll be Candy Apple Red in that case.

8)

I didn't take enough photos either. Too busy playing with them all .....

Some of Mike's incl' his ESP relic (Left), the only breezy and his No1 Fender
IMG_0068.jpg

Mike + Goldstar
IMG_0070.jpg

Some of Ged's & Rob's guitars
Inc' a couple of very nice Silver Stars and a Greco
IMG_0067.jpg

Dave

Back