• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Tokai Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Early 80s pre-lawsuit Goldstar Sound - listing for a friend

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbarnard

Reaction score
My friend is selling this. Currently listed at $650 shipped CONUS ONLY. If interested I can put you in touch with him. Pics below.

tokaifrontfull.jpg

Tokaineckplate.jpg

tokaiback.jpg

tokaifront.jpg

tokaiheadstockback.jpg

tokaiheadstockfront.jpg

Nice one..... does your friend have a pic of the underside of the pickguard showing the pickup assembly, pots, switch? Also, any stamps on the body in the pickup cavity, stamp on the heel of the neck, neck pocket, bridge saddle stamps,etc. would help - it'll help to identify exactly what kind of Goldstar it is.

marcusnieman said:
Nice one..... does your friend have a pic of the underside of the pickguard showing the pickup assembly, pots, switch? Also, any stamps on the body in the pickup cavity, stamp on the heel of the neck, neck pocket, bridge saddle stamps,etc. would help - it'll help to identify exactly what kind of Goldstar it is.

I posted all the pics that I'm aware of that he has. PM me if you'd like his email address.

stratman323 said:
ST50 I assume. Very Jimmie Vaughan.

:p

Mike

That's what I'd assume to. He bought it to replace a JV and says it sounds very JVish.

Do you mean a JV (Japanese) Strat? Or a Jimmie Vaughan signature Strat?

Just to clarify on what Mike's asking: most fans of Japanese guitars will read JV as "joint venture", ie. Fender Japan. :)

He bought the Japanese made Tokai to replace a Jimmie Vaughan (Made in Mexico) Strat. Sorry for any confusion.

There are not more pictures but he says that the bridge saddles are Final Prospec. He bought the guitar from Nick Adams of the Racky Thomas Band who himself bought it from a guy in Japan. The pickups are grey bobbins.

It would be more straightforward to email him directly if you have further interest. PM me for email address.

AlanN said:
Vintage!? That'd show a remarkable level of prescience/egotism, no? :eek: Still, I'm happy to be corrected.

Well the Japanese weren't exactly modest were they? Not if you read the small print. :lol:

springy3.jpg

Hey there! I'm the owner of the guitar, and I'm checking in. Thanks to Bill for putting this up for me earlier today. I had a heck of a hard time with registering and getting up and running (the iPhone can be hard to deal with for stuff like this; not sure what I was doing wrong but I hosed it up somehow). Here are a few more photos I took this evening. Definitely has that JLV early T-Birds vibe to it! I'm just not doing the Strat thing much lately and I've got a line on a nice vintage hollowbody I want to pick up, hence the sale.

There aren't a whole lot of markings evident on the guitar; one in the neck pocket, one on the neck heel. Nothing on the underside of the neck heel or in the pickup cavities. There is a finish crack by the neck pocket in the top cutaway horn that I have pictured.

tokaipots.jpg

tokaipickups.jpg

tokaibridgesaddles.jpg

tokaibridgeandmiddlepickup.jpg

tokaineckandmiddlepickup.jpg

tokaineckheel.jpg

tokaineckplate2.jpg

tokaibodypaintcrack.jpg

tokaipickuproutes.jpg

tokaipickuproutes2.jpg

tokaitremcavity.jpg

tokaigigbag.jpg

tokaiwithtremarm.jpg

Twofeets said:
Hey there! I'm the owner of the guitar, and I'm checking in. Thanks to Bill for putting this up for me earlier today. I had a heck of a hard time with registering and getting up and running (the iPhone can be hard to deal with for stuff like this; not sure what I was doing wrong but I hosed it up somehow). Here are a few more photos I took this evening. Definitely has that JLV early T-Birds vibe to it! I'm just not doing the Strat thing much lately and I've got a line on a nice vintage hollowbody I want to pick up, hence the sale.

There aren't a whole lot of markings evident on the guitar; one in the neck pocket, one on the neck heel. Nothing on the underside of the neck heel or in the pickup cavities. There is a finish crack by the neck pocket in the top cutaway horn that I have pictured.

tokaipots.jpg

tokaipickups.jpg

tokaibridgesaddles.jpg

tokaibridgeandmiddlepickup.jpg

tokaineckandmiddlepickup.jpg

tokaineckheel.jpg

tokaineckplate2.jpg

tokaibodypaintcrack.jpg

tokaipickuproutes.jpg

tokaipickuproutes2.jpg

tokaitremcavity.jpg

tokaigigbag.jpg

tokaiwithtremarm.jpg

Great pics...... nice job - they show exactly what everyone needs to see (original gig bag in great shape too). Welcome to the forum. Where are you located?

Thanks much! Glad the pictures are helpful. I'm located in Orlando, FL. Wish I could afford to keep this one and pick up the other at the same time. I know 6 months from now I'll be wanting a Strat again. I don't use them much, but for certain things, only a Strat will do. *sigh* ;-)

Actually if anybody would be willing to clue me in on what model this might be, what year, etc. so that I can more accurately describe it, I'd appreciate it.

AlanN said:
Just to clarify on what Mike's asking: most fans of Japanese guitars will read JV as "joint venture", ie. Fender Japan. :)

"JV" = Japan Vintage, that's all there is to it.

Latest posts

Back