• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Tokai Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Anyone interested in the THURSDAY BURST (LS-80)?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Well that's the question...

You probably remember the threads I posted here every now and then about 1-2 years ago about the 1959ing of a Love Rock

The guitar is extensively modded and tweaked into a perfect guitar. But now due to moving to a smaller apartment in the other end of the country I'm maaaybe looking to unload this beauty.

SPECS:
Tokai Love Rock
Year: 2005
Made in: Japan
Model: LS-80
Pickups: Wolfetone Legend PAF replicas
Wiring: Fake58.co.uk wiring with real 1960 Black Beauty caps
Tailpiece: DMC aluminium tailpiece and studs
Trussrod cover: Gibson 50's style
Case: German-made Cali Girl style (brown with pink lining)

You can see LOTS of pics and the whole description of it here on the Thursday Burst site... that have had some several thousands of visitors over the last years: http://www.multi.fi/~nproject/thursday_burst/

final1.jpg
final2.jpg

final3.jpg
final4.jpg

As I mentioned above... I'm maaaybe selling it if I get the right price for it. So make your offers and it might be yours... If you're not interested in buying it you can always let me know what you thinks it's worth.

So this is maybe for sale and at the same time a "Put a value on the guitar" Thread ;)

Alright, so now hit me with your thoughts/offers! ;)

I remember the thread and I've looked at the web-site. Great work on this and your other guitars, I particuarly liked the lite-ash tele!

It's very difficult to put a value on something like this, you would be unlikely to get back the amount of work and money you have put unless you find the right buyer. If I were you I would decide how much you want for the guitar and advertise it for that amount. If someone wants it then they will pay the asking price.

If you're selling the guitar as-is with all the upgrades/changes included, and the hard case too, I would think you could probably get around ?500 to ?550 for it.

I think pricing is extremely difficult as John says. I think it's worth a little bit more than a used, mint condition, LS80F of the same age. This is assuming you can find the right buyer.

Good luck, it's a gorgeous guitar!

Er, those parts are worth about $650 USD (450 quid) on their own:

Original Black Beauty Caps - $70 to $130
Wolfetone PAFs - $250
DMC TP plus Studs - $250!!! (very hard to get)
Fake 58 wiring - ??? say $50

Don't know what the whole package would be worth, as you have to find a buyer who is willing to pay a significant premium for an upgraded medium level model. Guitar players would probably be better off using the price premium to move up to higher LS, such as the plain top one with a one piece body (LS-135?).

I say return it to stock and sell the parts off, the Historic Les Paul fanatics will pay plenty for the DMC, BB caps, and Wolfe PAFs.

It's a great looker though!

JVSearch, I totally agree selling the parts and putting the guitar back to stock would probably raise more cash, but it would be such a shame!

All that work that's been put in to the project for nothing. I still say stick a price on it that you want and someone might just come along and snap it up as it's a lovely looking, and I'm sure great playing and sounding guitar!!

The parts are worth quite a lot,but if you read he has routed in the body and made many changes which would lower the price of most/all guitars.
I think selling the parts would be a good idea,even if its just the pick ups, but I think like John that it would be a shame.
But for anything more than say ?600 wouldnt it be better to just as one of the posters suggests, buy a higher end tokai.

Remember that this was only a "low end" guitar because of the hardware, the actual build quality is the same and 2 piece body well EGF1200 have 2 piece bodies so now i suppose it is a higher end guitar. The model number, as we all know is based on the price and the price went up so why would you all refer to it as a low end guitar.....same wood as in the mentioned LS135 and now it has better electronics, i would say this is a great guitar and not listen to all the low end rubbish and sell it for what you think its worth.

Mick

You have put a ton of work & time into this guitar, and that doesn't even speak to the expense you have put into it.

I would hate to know that you sold it for less than what you believe it to be worth, to you.

Best ...........................

leadguitar_323 said:
Remember that this was only a "low end" guitar because of the hardware, the actual build quality is the same and 2 piece body well EGF1200 have 2 piece bodies so now i suppose it is a higher end guitar. The model number, as we all know is based on the price and the price went up so why would you all refer to it as a low end guitar.....same wood as in the mentioned LS135 and now it has better electronics, i would say this is a great guitar and not listen to all the low end rubbish and sell it for what you think its worth.

Mick

Good point!

I'm as guilty as the next guy of getting hung up on long tenons, one piece bodies, nitro finishes etc, but how much of this stuff is really that critical for tone when you've got the gain up on a Marshall valve amp or something? Yes, the features I've mentioned are indicators of quality work that goes that extra mile and therefore we assume that tone increases with those things, but does it?

As long as a guitar is not simply fundamentally dead wood-wise then a set of boutique PAFs (like the the Wolfetones here) probably makes a much bigger difference to the tone than a one piece back or long tenon?

As long as a guitar is not simply fundamentally dead wood-wise then a set of boutique PAFs (like the the Wolfetones here) probably makes a much bigger difference to the tone than a one piece back or long tenon?
I agree...my "low end" LS-80 was a decent guitar...til I changed the pickups and now it's an amazing guitar 0.o

Another thing to consider is throughout the upgrade process, and through playing it, you probably have develpoed a sentimental attachment to the guitar that a price would be difficult to match. I know I would have. I've often thought of selling my LS-150 and getting one that doesn't have a potential neck problem down the road (truss loose all the way and straight now; but starting to come back with heavy strings) but I can't really put a price on it since my wife bought it for me for our first Xmas together.

Good luck selling though. As other have said, it's a beautiful piece of work!

J.

Ozeshin said:
I agree...my "low end" LS-80 was a decent guitar...til I changed the pickups and now it's an amazing guitar 0.o

That's exactly what I suspected!

FWIW, I described the Thursday burst as being based on a medium range model, I didn't say low end or even think it. Really don't want Thursday's owner thinking I said it was low end.

I remember seeing the thread on the work that you did on this guitar, & I assumed that you were committed to keeping it for life, because (as others have said) you will never get back what it cost you in hours of work, never mind upgraded components. And stripping the upgrades from it makes a lot of that work pointless, which is a terrible waste. This guitar has had great care taken of it.

What's it worth to you? I assume you have to sell it?

Mike

JVsearch said:
I'm as guilty as the next guy of getting hung up on long tenons, one piece bodies, nitro finishes etc, but how much of this stuff is really that critical for tone when you've got the gain up on a Marshall valve amp or something? Yes, the features I've mentioned are indicators of quality work that goes that extra mile and therefore we assume that tone increases with those things, but does it?

Great insight & I agree to pretty much every bit.

Long tenons, one piece bodies, nitro finishes, old wood, higher grade, etc, can all point to a higher degree of quality in materials & craftmanship, and also to desirability & collectibility BUT does that really make for a great and/or better guitar?

I am not convinced so, because when it comes down to it, I am a player, and I want a guitar that is cost effective as compared to the level of playability & tonal response I get for the buck.

I don't play for desireability, or for collectability.

I have never found the "perfect" guitar; that is the magical guitar that has every single immaginable thing I could ever want in one instrument.
I honestly do not believe that guitar exist, it may but I doubt it.

The guitars that I have discovered that have come close to being the "perfect" guitar are usually the ones that I would never imagine to be that guitar.

My best sounding Les Paul copy has a gold painted top, yet I like the look of wood grain.
It has a poly finish, which is OK but it would be nice if it had a nitro finish.
The playability is as good as guitars that I have played that cost nearly four times as much. :eek:
The body back is a two piece.
Again, the sound is just incredible & it is completely bone stock original :)
To some, it would be the representation of a 'mut'.
It just happens to be a stellar example of what is out there; an example that does not have a one piece body, does not have a nitro finish, and is not high grade.

Not every brand, and not every model can be lumped together, and there are good guitars & even great guitars, in every price & grade range.

The search is the fun part, and getting a great one in your hands that performs like one that cost 2, 3, or 4 times as much, is the reward. :D

THE THURSDAY BURST Is very nice, I wish the seller would stick a price on it, then we can discuss that, I would buy it myself if it isnt to high a figure

Very interesting discussion, read it with joy!

And thanks for the kind words and comments on the guitar!

This might sound steep to some guys here who might have had the fortune to get Tokais imported for a superb price from Asia.

But as has been mentioned, it's a lot of time and effort spent on modding and tweaking the guitar... hard to put into cash, but for me it's personal value.

A new LS-85 (seems to be today's model to compare to) costs ~900 euros in Finland. I paid 750 euros for this guitar imported from Japan (without case). The mods together with the case run around 400-500 euro.

To make most profit it would, like people have stated here, be best to part it out and sell pickups, tailpiece etc. separately... Are you crazy! :lol: (just joking)

...but seriously though, I don't have the heart to ruin a guitar like this. Never, then I'd rather keep it and play it!

I've gotten a few offers but none high enough for me to part with the guitar. I would consider selling it for 900 euros, depending on where in the world it would go that may be plus - minus something (shipping, insurance etc.)

I don't absolutely have to sell it, I don't need the cash... I'm moving to a smaller apartment in another town and most likely won't be able to have all guitars there. That's the reason for maybe unloading it...

So here's my ace card :wink: .. if Thursday goes, so does the '51 Caster (Nocaster relic). http://www.multi.fi/~nproject/51Caster/

And the cash would be invested into one guitar instead.

The tele looks amazing.
I really enjoyed reading about how you did it,I would love both of these guitars, they have such a great vibe.

900 euros for the Tokai is a bit high for me, but good look with it, someone will get a great guitar,in uk terms its about ?800

edit

did you mean both guitars for ?800 ?

Thanks! I'm more of a tele player actually... so that's the guitar that I play more.

The body is exteremely vibrant on the tele. It's a really great players guitar.

800GBP would be for Thursday Burst w/ case.

If I get that one sold I'd start thinking about a price for the '51 Caster.

But I'd need something like 1500-2000euros total to be able to think about investing in the new guitar. Otherwise it won't be worth it for me... and then I can just as well keep both guitars even though one would have to be tucked away for some time.

Latest posts

Back