How much for my birthday pressie???

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobK

Reaction score
My 50th birthday approaches. Yes, I know I look 10 years younger but that does not really cheer me up.

Anyways, Mrs K wants to buy me something special that lasts forever, (ah, thats sweet). So its either a piece of original art , (I collect the odd bit), or a guitar. Hmmm, which one....

Now like the rest of the general and unknowing public she does not fully understand that Jap guitars are the best made and is, I think, hankering for the hallowed gibson name on the headstock. Now we know that the majority in the 'lower' price range are a tad overpriced and of an alleged 'erratic quality', so.........an OBG Les Paul Copy seems a perfect choice. I would get what I want, (another top notch jap one) and my present would have the 'hallowed' gibson name on the headstock, without her having to remortgage.

So team, how much does a VG condition OBG cost these days? No urgency as purchase doesnt need to be until August.

Thanks!

Bob

http://www.japanguitars.co.uk/Page%202%20Orville%20By%20Gibson.html

Best selection this side of anywhere! IF you found on on ebay it could be a bit less money, but there aren't a lot of OBG's around.

JohnA said:

Best selection this side of anywhere! IF you found on on ebay it could be a bit less money, but there aren't a lot of OBG's around.
And often a bit more too. :wink:
BobK said:
I am in the UK and I wont be importing, not with the ? in freefall...
I think french shipping charges are much more cheaper than on the other side of the channel so it might worth check the amount and compare to the ebay stuff. :wink:

20 century boy said:
JohnA said:

And often a bit more too. :wink:

You're not wrong there, some ebay sellers are asking silly money for OBG's, and there certainly aren't many bargains around!

Another thing you have to consider when importing from France is that as an EU country you shouldn't have to pay customs/import duties.

I've imported a couple of guitars from Japan in the last 2 years and have ended up paying c22% in duty on both the cost of the guitar and the freight charges.

Worth weighing up when importing....

However, as the GBP is so low at the moment I won't be importing anything.... much as I'd love to try a Bacchus LP to go with my six Tokais...

John.

Hi there

Just noticed your post about wanting a Bacchus LP. Sorry long story coming up!!

I have a contact in Japan that found me a really nice looking BLS-59 wintage series LP which I'm currently waiting for. The seller he bought it from also had a Fujigen 'CoolZ' for sale at a good price and 'my man' tried it and said it was amazing and I should consider that instead of the Bacchus, as it was cheaper and in his opinion just as good!

Being the indecisive type, I was a bit hasty and decided to buy them both! So if the CoolZ is as good as I'm led to believe there's a possibility the Bacchus might be up for sale if you are interested? Just a possibility at this stage, I really need to get them both and try them, but I'm a bit skint at the minute and cant really afford to keep both!

BTW I'm in the UK too, Middlesbrough, you'd be welcome to give them a spin if you're any where near, either that or get yourself to the convention (see general discussion thread) !

Cheers

John

Hi John,

Yes, would be interested once you've had the chance to try out both your new acquisitions... do keep me posted..

I'm on the forum every day but although I knew about the proposal for a UK meeting of forum members, I'd lost sight of recent communications on the matter... shame I can't make that proposed weekend...

best wishes,

John.

CoolZ are nice guitars but-honestly- it's nothing near a Bacchus.

4_1207751748.jpg

Latest posts

Back