Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

80s Tokai PRS Santana copy!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Sightings & eBay Alerts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
james
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2002 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its here:

http://sound.jp/retrobazar/NewFiles/elec.html#Anchor-Japanes-8983

Copy of the custom PRS built for Santana in the 80s. Looks amazing. Never seen one of these before. Maybe Japanese market only?
javelin70
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2002 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love it! Strange though, there isn't any Tokai logo on it! I wonder if they ship guitars to Europe?

Michael
james
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2002 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if the PRS original had a logo on it, as I think it was made by Mr Smith privately, before the company was established. Good news for Tokai - no logo lawsuits there!
The ad says its an 80s guitar, which means that Tokai were ahead of the game, as PRS have only made them as a production model for a year or two.
Never seen any other examples so maybe it was a prototype? For example, Wizard Guitars in the UK has a new prototype ES-175 copy.
javelin70
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2002 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately this guitar costs $3000 + $150 shipping to Sweden. On top of this I also have to pay 4% customs fee and 25% tax! For that kind of money (even less) I can buy a new PRS in Sweden. It seems that the guitar is made by Tokai Gakki for a music store in Japan, there is no Tokai logo on the guiar.

Michael
james
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2002 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, that must be a first for Tokai: for once its cheaper to buy the original

Tax seems to be a real killer when it comes to importing. Its so frustrating to see all those great old Tokais on Japanese sites, going for what are otherwise reasonable prices. Although I suppose it makes it all the more satisfying when you do find a good one in Europe or the States.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Sightings & eBay Alerts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: