locking tuner

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael

Reaction score
Hello. I'am trying too find some locking tuners for my Tokai Love Rock.
but would like to get ones that look like my tuners now, They are the stander for 1994 LS90 Love Rock tuners. Mine are starting to go bad. Thank for any help. :)

All the locking tuners I could find when I was looking for some were a bit "Modern".

I bought a set of Grover Deluxe 135N (N stands for Nickel finish), which are not locking, but due to the screw-in collar they have much tighter tolerances than the old style with the push-in bushing.

I've never once had it go out of tune since. I don't think you really need locking tuners unless you're using a tremolo system, and even then I think you're probably better off with a locking nut.

Here's mine if you want to see how it looks:

http://i363.photobucket.com/albums/oo77/Graha0808/Guitars/PICT0019.jpg

These are the tuners:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Grover-Nickel-135N-Deluxe-Guitar-Tuners-for-Gibson_W0QQitemZ350143248105QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar_Accessories?hash=item350143248105&_trksid=p3286.m63.l1177

Hope this helps. :D

It's very unlikely that the problems you are experiencing are due to your tuners "going bad". They are very good quality and not even that old.

99.9% of the time any problems in that area will be due to either your restringing technique or a poorly cut nut. Locking tuners are completely unnecessary on a hardtail guitar, their only advantage is quick string changing.

How do you restring? Don't be offended by the question, it's amazing how many talented and experienced players don't use a solid restringing technique and if all your tuners appear to be "going bad" at the same time this is honestly the most likely explanation.

Try scraping a little pencil lead into your nut slots to see if that helps the tuning stability.

Good point Paladin, i sold an OBG to a guy that bitched about it going out of tune all the time so he put locking tuners on it and he still has the same problem. I had this guitar for about a month and had absolutely no problems with tuning stability. I recommend everyone takes time when restringing and do it properly because most guitars i have seen with "dodgey tuners" were strung poorly, also stretch your strings well before playing or it will continue to go out of tune until the strings settle. I also don't like mew strings, i like mine after a couple of weeks when they are stretched and that "brightness" that you get from new strings has gone.

Mick

It's not only us amateurs either!

I've just bought the excellent "Haynes Stratocaster manual" and if anyone else has it, take a look at page 115. I can count 7 turns of wire around the A-String post!! :eek:
The string is pretty much sitting on the ferrule at the bottom of the post.

I'd agree with everyone else on here in that it's most likely not the tuners. I only replaced mine because the keys were a little "Loose" and prone to being moved inadvertantly. I also preferred how the new ones looked.

It did used to go out of tune a little, but only if the keys were knocked, as I say, but it was nothing to really worry about, and if I wasn't such an inveterate "Tinkerer" I'd probably have left them alone. I do prefer the stiffer action of the Grovers though, so I'm glad I changed them.

You really don't need locking tuners, trust me on this one.

Thank you all for the answers. And I do belive your right about my stringing technique, I do have some very good books on how to string your guitar. Ok I'll read them. I'am going to try that first before changing the tuners. Again thank you. :)

I worked as tech for a very picky guy once, all strings had to be cut a knuckle and a half from the peg this gives about 3-4 wraps around the peg when winding. For my own guitars I cut halfway to the next peg, but as I have the custom edition with the floyd rose it only needs a couple of wrap arounds.

Interesting vid, though I reckon he misses a few tricks. He doesn't use a trick I was taught many years ago. I get the first turn to go above the string, then the remaining turns below it.

IMG_0359.jpg

This helps to lock it in place. I've been doing this for years, & it's rare for me to have tuning problems (I will now, at the next gig, now I've said that!). Obviously, you can't do this on a Strat or Tele with the slotted post tuners.

As for lubricating the nut, I use a small amount of graphite - pencil lead - rubbed into the slots before restringing. There aren't many better lubricants than graphite, & it's free.

As for Baker's claim that a set of strings will be "good for a week, maybe two", I totally disagree. Unless a guitar gets used for an hour or two every day, a good set of strings should last for months.

Mike

Same way I do mine, Mike. Works just fine.

Strings should last a month at the minimum depending on how many 4 hour gigs a week you play, your sweat factor and the string gauge.

stratman323 said:
Interesting vid, though I reckon he misses a few tricks. He doesn't use a trick I was taught many years ago. I get the first turn to go above the string, then the remaining turns below it.

Me too! :D

http://i363.photobucket.com/albums/oo77/Graha0808/Guitars/PICT0019.jpg

I do it differently again - around the post and under the string, so that as it tightens it ties itself into a tighter and tighter knot. Never had tuning issues doing it this way, even with very few turns around the post. You can see it clearly on the A and D strings here:

P5260127.jpg

This is beginning to sound like a Yachting forum now with all these different types of knots! :lol:

No-one's tried a running bowline on a vintage tuner yet then? :wink:

PS: That's a Hell of a nice piece of wood on that Tele neck. 8)

I had a 2005 ES120 that came with locking tuners but they were the vintage style

The guitar was sold, shipped to Dallas, then it was returned because of a couple of issues, one of which was the tuners; I don't even recall if the tuners were returned with the guitar

I'll look around here & see if I can locate them ..........

Goestoeleven said:
PS: That's a Hell of a nice piece of wood on that Tele neck. 8)

I love that guitar. MIK Fender Lite Ash Tele. Beautiful and insanely good value for money, I don't know how they can make them for the prices they go for.

Michael said:
Hello. I'am trying too find some locking tuners for my Tokai Love Rock.
but would like to get ones that look like my tuners now, They are the stander for 1994 LS90 Love Rock tuners. Mine are starting to go bad. Thank for any help. :)

Found the vintage style locking tuners; PM sent ...........

Latest posts

Back