Tokai stomp boxes

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

javelin70

Reaction score
Picked up a TDS-1 Distortion and a TPH-1 Phaser last week. They are surprisingly good! I never tested the Tokai pedals in the 80's except for an analog delay I bought (and unfortunately traded for a digital multi FX unit). I've also bought a TMD-2 Metaldriver and a TOD-2 Overdrive that I will receive any day now. I will get back with a report on how they sound. Apparently the Metaldriver uses the same OP amp (4558) as the legendary Ibanez TS-808 Tube Screamer! However, it's capable of more varied sounds than the Tube Screamer. The newer boxes are made of plastic but the first series are all metal and are really well built.

Michael

Received the Metaldriver TMD-2 and Overdrive TOD-2 yesterday. The overdrive is good but the metaldriver is in it's own class! This box can sound exactly like an old tube screamer but it's a lot more versatile. It has a bright control and a frequency control that changes the sound dramatically. If you find one, buy it! I don't know why Tokai called it metaldriver, it's a great pedal for blues, rock and hard rock.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: javelin70 on 2002-02-07 04:17 ]</font>

I'll have to say that the Tokai overdrive (TOD-2) is excellent. I've used it for some time now and it's really good, almost as good as the Metaldriver (TMD-2). If you find one of these (or the older TOD-1) don't hesitate to buy it. I've also bought a Tokai Compressor (TCO-1) and it's really good too. Looking inside the TOD-2 and TMD-2 the pcb's has the text TOD-1 and TMD-1 printed on them. They are probably the same except for the different housing (the older one's are metal, the newer plastic).

Michael

I have a TOD-1, TFL-1, TDS-1 and TDL-1 that I bought in 1985 and "retired" them last year to buy a Boss ME-30. BIG MISTAKE.
The TDL-1 Analog Delay is much better than the Digital unit used in the Boss and the Overdrive really sings.
I am trying to find a TCO-1 Compressor to complete the set and then i might retire the Boss and begin using the Tokai pedals again.

Peter

I know what you mean, I traded my TDL-1 for a Yamaha REX-50 digital multi effect in 1990. I still regret it and I haven't been able to find another TDL-1 unfortunately. I bought the TCO-1 compressor last week and I really like it.

In the 80's I was using a Ibanez effect with a compressor, a TS-9 overdrive and chorus (don't remember the name of the unit) together with the TDL-1 and it sounded really good.

I have two TDS-1 distortion, one black and one silver, strangely enough these do not sound exactly the same. The black one has a little more midrange.

Michael

Peter, there is a TCO-1 compressor on ebay.com now. It's located in Canada, seller ships worldwide.

Michael

Me too, I know have two TDS-1 distortion, one TOD-2 overdrive, one TMD-2 metaldriver, a TCO-1 compressor and a TPH-1 phaser. I'm also looking for a TDL-1 delay and a TCH-1 chorus, but they are very hard to find in Sweden. I'm just home from rehearsal with the band and I used the TCO-1, TOD-2 and a TDS-1 and I'm really pleased with the sound I get. Bye-bye Boss DS-2 distortion, the Tokai's are so much better.

Michael

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: javelin70 on 2002-04-01 15:49 ]</font>

Hi Michael,
thanks for the tip about the TCO-1 - I have now placed a bid for it. It is silver????
All my other Tokai boxes are black so if i get the silver one, at least i know which one it is, ha,ha,ha.
I have had a few boxes over the years - Ibanez Tube Screamer, DOD overdrive, CE-1 Chorus Ens., various other BOSS pedals but found the Tokai to be of equal or better quality, both in construction and sound.

RE: Chorus pedal - If you can get the TFL-1 Flanger instead go for that. A flanger is basically a chorus but with other modulation added. I found by using only the depth and speed buttons with the rate and feedback buttons fully off, i get an excellent chorus.

Peter
PS - I hope this doesn't push the prices of the pedals up also.

Peter, my compressor is also silver just as one of the distortions. I think they are a little older than the black ones, probably from '84 and earlier. In the '85 and newer catalogs they are black. Good luck on the bidding! I paid about $70 US for my TCO-1, on the other hand I got the TDS-1's and the TPH-1 really cheap ($20-25 each).

Michael

A quick internet search shows that these pedals are still to be found under the category of bargain, at least compared to the more well known collectables. Here are a few places that have some:

http://www.kissmyamp.com/effects.htm
http://sh333.bizland.com/biglist.htm
http://www.nana.or.jp/~kudopon/used/c.eff.html
http://www.custom-sounds.com/vintage.htm

I've collected a few old effects over the years, all picked up on the cheap as they were 'out of fashion' (including an original EH Big Muff, a script logo MXR Phase 90 and a mains powered MXR Flanger), but I don't remember seeing any Tokai pedals. I'll definitly be keeping an eye out now, but I reckon the prices will be on the rise, as the word seems to be out on them! :smile:

I bought my TOD-2 and TMD-2 from Custom Sounds in Finland for 220 Euro, not exactly cheap but they are worth it! I also e-mailed the japanese who had a couple of Tokai pedals (http://www.nana.or.jp/~kudopon/used/c.eff.html ) but I never received any answer. The hunt goes on for a couple of more Tokai pedals!

Michael

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: javelin70 on 2002-04-02 13:44 ]</font>

Hi guys,
I was unsuccessful with my bid for the compressor so I will just have to keep on looking.
Thanks for the support.
Let me know if you spot any others.
regards
Peter

Hi Peter,

Sorry you missed out. I know its not necessarily a guide to current value, but what did these pedals retail for in the 80s? Just wondering, because AUS$85 (~GBP30)doesn't sound too bad to me as a used price, especially as they're decent quality. I guess I'm used to high prices in the UK. I'm sure a few years ago you probably couldn't give these pedals away but now that people know more about Tokai in general (ironically because of sites like these) I think prices are bound to jump.
Anyway, I'm keeping an eye out for them so if I see any compressors I'll let you know.

James

In Sweden the prices were between approx ?30 and ?95 in the 80's depending on the pedal. The most expensive one was the delay, that was ?95 when I bought it new in 85 or 86. I've actually paid more for some of the pedals than they cost new but they are hard to find in Sweden. On the other hand I got some of them cheap. I just bought a Tokai exciter TXC-1 from Germany, paid about ?35 for it including the shipping.

Michael

Hi guys,
I'm not working at the moment so I set myself a limit of AUS$60.00. By the time I get money exchanged, pay for the money order and postage, etc, it adds another AUS$15.00 to the bid.
In 1985, a TCO-1 sold for AUS$79.00, TMD-1 sold for AUS$95.00 and TOD-1 AUS$85.00. I cannot find the receipts for the rest of the pedals. I remember the Delay was the most expensive at around AUS$110.00.
What I can't figure out is we originally imported a box of each type (40pcs per box) and 2 boxes of TOD-1 and TMD-1. We had 2 only of the TEB-6 Effects board - (not the best to use, very cumbersome)
I have been scouring all the classifieds in Australia for any Tokai products and cannot find any. Instruments or effects. BOSS has such a stranglehold on the effects market here I would have thought Tokai pedals would be easier to come across at decent prices.

Will keep searching....
Peter

Peter, it's the same here in Sweden, for many years you could not find any Tokai's but suddenly a lot of them has surfaced. I bought another Metaldriver yesterday, a black TMD-1 in good condition. Half the price of the TMD-2 I imported from Finland some time ago. I will keep one of them at home and one where we rehearse.

Michael

Maybe a good place to start your collection Ned:

TDS-1 Distortion
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=858179056

TXC-1 Exciter
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=858181410

Both in the US. The Exctier is boxed and has a manual with specs for all the Tokai pedals - could be good info for the site.

James

Another TXC-1. This looks like NOS, with box and manual. By it now price of US$29.99.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=857251221

Thing is, are these exciter pedals any good? What do they actually do?

James, I'll let you know about the exciter when I receive it. I just bought one from Germany, it should be here in a week or so.

Michael

Latest posts

Back