Cure me of my Epiphone!!

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lps

Reaction score
Hey guys, very new to the Tokai world and the forum. Currently I have an epi that's had the pickups, selector switch, pots, and caps replaced to get that gibson sound...however..I am starting to get bothered by the poorness of the guitar. So I've been thinking of upgrading to a gibson, but obviously they're are overpriced, so I thought a Tokai would be the best option. I've heard that the early 80s models are the best, but there are so many! Could anyone suggest a solid Tokai around $1000 or less that is closest to the authentic gibsons? Any help would be much appreciated!!! :D

1979-81 are generally regarded as Tokais best years, but 1000 US would probably buy you an LS60 in less than great condition. I would look out for a modern LS85F or something, fantastic guitars and should come in under budget!

Hey could you tell me a little more about the 85f? Such as about the tenon, is it a nitro finish, etc?
How's the quality compared to other tokai les pauls?

You're going to struggle for a nitro finish under $1000, lps.

Medium tenon on the 85 I believe. All of the MIJ Tokais are fantastic quality - they do have some miniscule finishing problems from time to time (especially with the neck binding at the body) but it's nothing I haven't seen on their Gibson equivalents.

This is a little more expensive but has everything you want....
http://cgi.ebay.com/TOKAI-LS135F-MIJ-Flamed-Maple-Long-tenon-Nitro-New-Mint_W0QQitemZ270317278100QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item270317278100&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A2|294%3A50

Mick

Thanks for the link...I'm going to watch that. Also with the tenons, is there any issue with a medium tenon vs a long tenon? How does this compare to gibson?

Don't watch it buy it, it's a bargain :D

I don't think anyone would notice the difference in a Tokai medium & long tenon, they are both much better than the standard Gibson joint. But for the extra cash over an 85 you might as well have it, and get a nitro finish too!

Not all Gibson models have the long tenon anymore.
The Slash models have it...in fact..even the Epi Slash models have the long tenon but these days it depends on the model as to whether it has a long tenon.

I don't have the money at the moment :cry: , hopefully I will by friday! And hopefully no one snags it by then :x

In case I don't, would anyone care to explain the difference between this guitar and the LS85F ?

lps said:
I don't have the money at the moment :cry: , hopefully I will by friday! And hopefully no one snags it by then :x

In case I don't, would anyone care to explain the difference between this guitar and the LS85F ?

LS85 poly finish and medium tenon
LS135 nitro and long tenon. The nitro finish really does make a guitar feel special, and it 100% worth the extra, plus you would be lucky to pick up an 85 for $1000.

email the seller and ask if you buy it now would it be OK to pay Friday, that one is bound to get snapped up, it's a stunner!

JohnA said:
lps said:

LS85 poly finish and medium tenon
LS135 nitro and long tenon. The nitro finish really does make a guitar feel special, and it 100% worth the extra, plus you would be lucky to pick up an 85 for $1000.

email the seller and ask if you buy it now would it be OK to pay Friday, that one is bound to get snapped up, it's a stunner!
Would my 1985 LS80 be nitro or poly?
I know that it's considered a mid range model but I figure that it's old enough that might just scrape in...it doesn't "feel" like poly...it doesn't "stick" your hand to the neck the way that poly seems to.

It looks nice, but don't forget the shipping costs & customs duties. Where does it have to be shipped to, it doesn't say in your profile lps.

Mike

I live in Boston, MA...so yeah, sounds like a couple hundred for shipping :-? , didnt think about that

Ozeshin said:
Would my 1985 LS80 be nitro or poly?
I know that it's considered a mid range model but I figure that it's old enough that might just scrape in...it doesn't "feel" like poly...it doesn't "stick" your hand to the neck the way that poly seems to.

Wouldn't have a clue Oze, my 1980 LS80 is nitro, but I think about '83 the specs changed, does it have a 1-piece back and fret binding? If so then I would probably say it's nitro as well.

See..now I reckon mine's a transition beast...
It has a one piece back but not fret binding...just fret edge binding...so i guess chances are that it's nitro..it certainly feels different to the rest of my poly guitars..."thinner" if that makes any sense :-?
Bah...I've got a new camera...time to snap the septic again eh Mick?

Latest posts

Back