Breezy

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lord Analog

Reaction score
Hi there,
I am a total newbie in this forum but would need some help with the id of a particular Breezy on Ebay. I know it is definately pre1982 (spaghetti logo) but otherwise I a have no idea.

Here are the details:

* color is black, as is the pickguard, which seems quite unusual
* the sticker on the back of the neck is missing
* serialnr is L with 5 digits
* pickups have been swapped for different ones
* pots are non-original
* body is claimed to be nitro
* tuners are single line deluxes

So, its supposed to be a 60 repro, but what exact model? How can I be sure the body is original (I suppose the neck is). What would you pay for such a guitar. I am looking for a player not a collectible. Every info would help!

Thanks in advance for the help!

The only Springys that were nitro were ST80's and abbobe, you can identify these by the V profile neck.

As for whether the body is original, the only way to tell is some pics of the body with the scratchplat off. If you can't get these then there's really no way to tell.

The black scratchplate is certainly non-original, but if you are after a player that's not really an issue if you like the look of it.

The value really depends on the model number.

John,
he dont mean a springy,he speak about this breezy.
http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=160304618165&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=006
No idea what model,maybe a TE50.

Volker

Well it looks OK, but I've never seen an L serial number on a Breezy before. I thought only Goldstars had those?

Only TE80s and above were nitro finished, my 1980 TE70 is poly, unfortunately. So unless it's a TE80 - and where is the proof that it is? it will be poly finished.

Breezys weren't usually as accurate a copy as Springys & Goldies, they often had "period wrong" features like 6 saddle bridges (very good and comfortable bridges actually).

Looks OK, if you like black, but I don't recall seeing black SPs on RW board Breezys either. It's a bit hard to put a value to it because of these questions.

:-?

Mike

Optically, I like the guitar very much.
However I am unsure what I would want to pay for it, considering the authenticity question. This is definately a risk and I wouldn't want to rip someone off, i.e. saying its original, in case I wanted to re-sell it.
What would you guys pay for it or would you not buy it at all?
Cheers

I would ask the seller a few questions, to try to get answers to the above questions before deciding. What makes him think it's nitro? What model number does he think it is?

It would also be good to hear from other forum members, who may know the answers - maybe I'm missing something?

stratman323 said:
It would also be good to hear from other forum members, who may know the answers - maybe I'm missing something?

Nothing to add - I'd ask the seller the same questions.

New infos:
seller says he imported the guitar from Japan. Could give no details about the finish. There are no stamps in the neck cavity, however in the routing for pots and switch there is a stamp that says 3=85B Z. Not entirely sure about the 5 and B. Does that maybe ring a bell? I can't post any photos, if anybody is interested, I can send them by email.

Possibly SB? If you load your pics onto www.photobucket.com you can post a link to them on here, then anyone who is interested can look.

If he can't give you details of the finish, why is he claiming it's nitro? That sort of claim really p*****s me off. :evil:

Looks like 8BB - BB is the Tokai colour code for black, so the body is probably Tokai. I'm still not sure if the scratchplate is original, but I guess that doesn't make a huge difference. So I would assume it's an ST50 - the standard model.

But I've been wrong before....

stratman323 said:
Well it looks OK, but I've never seen an L serial number on a Breezy before. I thought only Goldstars had those?

Only TE80s and above were nitro finished, my 1980 TE70 is poly, unfortunately. So unless it's a TE80 - and where is the proof that it is? it will be poly finished.

Mike

Tokai did '64 Tele copies too, signified with L's at the start of the serial number and rosewood veneer fretboards

I have a particularly sweet one, as verfied by the forum as a TE-80. I've not seen many of them.

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=8822&highlight=breezysound

Chris

I don't wish to sound pedantic ( :-? ) but that TE80 isn't really a '64 copy. The neck is, but the body is a 50s copy. The black SP ended around 1955, replaced with white, & the butterscotch blonde was changed to a white blonde a year or two later.

I'm sure it's a great guitar though. Interesting that it has the 3 saddle bridge - was it only the TE80s that had those?

So which models had L serial numbers? I have a 1980 TE70, & a 1984ish TE50, both rosewood boards, & neither has an L prefixed s/n.

IMG_0169.jpg

Just to chip in. I used to have a breezysound with L serial number. It had a (black) double bound body, rosewood fretboard and 3-barrel saddle. It had the 7okai logo on it. No longer owned it, sold it to some guy in France on ebay a few years ago. I don't know how accurate it was to a Customer Telecaster but seemed similar enough.

Ahhh,
it went away for 450 Euros, I was not brave enough.
But anyway, thank you guys for all the helping advice!

stratman323 said:
I don't wish to sound pedantic ( :-? ) but that TE80 isn't really a '64 copy. The neck is, but the body is a 50s copy. The black SP ended around 1955, replaced with white, & the butterscotch blonde was changed to a white blonde a year or two later.

I'm sure it's a great guitar though. Interesting that it has the 3 saddle bridge - was it only the TE80s that had those?

So which models had L serial numbers? I have a 1980 TE70, & a 1984ish TE50, both rosewood boards, & neither has an L prefixed s/n.

Mike

Have a look at this link

http://www.tokairegistry.com/images/catalogs/tokai86_4.jpg

It's Tokai that called the laminated rosewood veneered fretboard tele's a 64' model.

Your Tele's have slab boards - Have another look at the photo's on the link I supplied

Chris

Back