Cream Machine

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisheyes

Reaction score
I've got a new toy on its way !!

Hughes and Kettner Cream Machine 1 Watt Amp

Valves in both the pre-amp and output amp stage :D

I saw one of those on ebay recently and was tempted! Apparently 1W through some sensitive speakers is still pretty loud, perfect for recording, but the neighbours will still hate you :wink:

JohnA said:
I saw one of those on ebay recently and was tempted! Apparently 1W through some sensitive speakers is still pretty loud, perfect for recording, but the neighbours will still hate you :wink:

Luckily my neighbour is a valve amp repairer and collector :-D

chrisheyes said:
JohnA said:

Luckily my neighbour is a valve amp repairer and collector :-D

Sounds like the perfect neighbour !

It's arrived and was a disapointment at first try.

A quick search on the web and unscrewing the top to exposed the valves revealled that they were both the wrong type. 12AT7's in both pre amp and output section.

A trip nextdoor and a chat with the neighbour had me leaving with British Made NOS 12AX7 for the pre-amp and a 12AU7 for the output.

Now this is a serious little amp - it's a little plexi !!!

Surprisingly loud through my 1x12" Matamp Cab.

I seriously recommend anyone picking one of these up when available on ebay. No frills, just tone !!

Outsider said:
How much did you pay for it? There's one at a guitarshop down the block for 150 ?.

Check the completed listings in ebay

I paid ?80, but someone got one the week after me for a little over ?50

Best advice I can give you is to go to the shop near you that has one and try it through a decent speaker cabinet. Trust your own ears. Have fun.

Get them to open it up and verify that the correct valves are in it too

Chris

well, at first hello to everyone, it's my first post here :) (i'm here because i'm looking for a nice LP copy :) )
I have it too and I must admit that, although not very versatile, this little amp sounds astonishing. Very rich tone, lots of harmonics, mostly middle frequencies. I loved it most as a preamp plugged into the poweramp of the JCM 900 with celestion G12t75.

Chrisheyes - could you please tell me (just to make me sure, 'coz mine sounds well) which tube should be on which place (left\right side)? Thanks :)

Washington Irving said:
well, at first hello to everyone, it's my first post here :) (i'm here because i'm looking for a nice LP copy :) )
I have it too and I must admit that, although not very versatile, this little amp sounds astonishing. Very rich tone, lots of harmonics, mostly middle frequencies. I loved it most as a preamp plugged into the poweramp of the JCM 900 with celestion G12t75.

Chrisheyes - could you please tell me (just to make me sure, 'coz mine sounds well) which tube should be on which place (left\right side)? Thanks :)

Welcome to the Forum Washington Irvine

When you open the unit up and look down fom the top:-

The 12AX7 goes on the left hand side (CM1)

The 12AU7 goes on the right hand side (CM2)

Here's the schematic for the Cream Machine - detailing which valve goes where

http://www.freeinfosociety.com/electronics/schemview.php?id=1228

thanks!
BTW i'm posting a sample for those, who never had anything to do with the Cream Machine, I stumbled upon somewhere in the net.
http://www.sendspace.com/file/5171ko

Latest posts

Back