'81 Silver Star SS?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

settebello

Tokai Supporter
Reaction score
Just pulled the trigger on that one.
http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=220322846356&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=012
Pickgard and brigdepup replaced.

Volker

I'll receive similar in couple of days. Could be SS60 or SS80. I'll let you know and we can find out if it is the same model.

Nice catch, Volker.
Congrats!

Mine is also F/S; SS80, 25th Anniversary spec. edition. Euro 750, OBO
http://tokaiguitar.de/vintage.php?folder=vintage_guitars&kat=123
Sorry, Volker for being OT.

Enjoy your Silvy...

Are you sure thats a ss80,she have a bonenut and the two original pups have a gray bottom. :eek:
Is there another model between the ss50 and the ss80?
The ss60 is a late '60 model from my understanding.
Good luck with your sale. :p

Volker

settebello said:
Good question,all i know is that a springy ST80 and even the ST100 have a diecast block. :eek:

Volker

Am I right in thinking that in 1982, Springys got the steel block & FINAL PROSPEC saddles?

Are you sure thats a ss80,she have a bonenut and the two original pups have a gray bottom.
Is there another model between the ss50 and the ss80?
The ss60 is a late '60 model from my understanding.

I'd guess SS-60 from a quick look. You can test for nitro--if it's poly then it's not SS-80. I have an SS-50 with grey backed pickups (no stamp, but staggered-pole)--not sure what SS-60s are supposed to have but that could be the same.

Does the SS-80 model have a steel trem block

Both of mine (1979 and 1982) have diecast blocks reading MIJ

Nice looking guitar! Hope you enjoy it!

:)

Last edited by a moderator:
cheshirecatsmile said:
I'd guess SS-60 from a quick look. You can test for nitro--if it's poly then it's not SS-80. I have an SS-50 with grey backed pickups (no stamp, but staggered-pole)--not sure what SS-60s are supposed to have but that could be the same.
Nice looking guitar! Hope you enjoy it!

Thanks Chris,i will do a acetontest.

Volker

Volker - I hope you're not mad on me, I'll borrow your subject ;)

quick review
I was comparing to my '79 SS 38. I don't know what's in that guitar but it was superior to all silverstars I had (two more) and also to this SS60. This SS60 is actually a very good guitar but my black SS38 is just amazing. I think I was lucky to get a really good piece.
Necks are the same size, blacky has maple, SS60 has rosewood. Frets are new, they've been changed, could be done a better work on this (some edges are not really perfect, i saw much better work). Body is actually three piece, on the top of the body there is one more small piece, you can see that on one picture. I put it apart, gray back pickups, no signs, black/blue wires. That confirmes SS60 (I think SS80 has DiMarzio) and also SS80 has two piece body. I'll not do the acetone test ;) Tuners are ok, working perfect. Bridge has brass saddles, electronics works fine, no high loss on volume down, pots are little bit noisy, nothing really special. Nut looks to be changed (looks too new). 5 way switch (blacky has 3 way).
Sound: Bridge pickup sounds better as on the black one, not so thin. All other conbination sounds also very good, but neck pickup on the black one is unbeliveable. I'll check what kind of pickups are installed, maybe they were changed.
Weight: SS60 3474, SS36 3776 - SS36 is more than 300g heavier.
It's quite the same feeling on both guitars, I do prefer SS neck. And I like the big headstock ;)

here are some pictures:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg