79' CE-400 beauty!!!

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benzem

Reaction score
My newest and dearest. An absolutely stunning guitar. This thing kicks ***, in a civilized way!

P1150826.jpg

P1150821.jpg

P1150826.jpg

P1150814.jpg
[/img]

Hi all,

New to the forum.

Just wanting to know if ANYONE knows what Cats Eyes models (eg: CE200, CE300, CE400, CE500 etc...) have solid tops? I am thinking that in some point of the model numbering system and models themselves, they become solid tops (eg: from a particular model number onwards are solid tops).

Thanks for any input.

Cheers,

Wil

No solid top.I just rmember these Cat?s Eye sold very cheap a years ago I followed while I was writing my article.Then sellers got them and were selling on ebay for more than 200% up....... A Cat?s Eye with a solid top is expensive nowadays but it was expensive back when I got my CE-1000....and Cat?s Eye are scarcer than Reborns or Love Rocks. Very good acoustics if you know wich is the one to get....

Benzem,

That sure does look solid to me! The give away is the consistancy of grain in your photo of the sound hole!

Thanks to ALL for the input, and if anyone has any other info, it will be appreciated.

Wil

All Cats eyes do feature a solid top.
Most of them as well solid sides and backs.
Let me check from what model no. solid sides and backs do start.

Hi all,

Just got info from a Japanese contact that Cats Eyes Acoustics with Solid Tops (sound boards) start at, and include everyhting from CE-400 upwards. In addition, there is a CE-350 model that is also solid topped. Everythign below CE-400 is laminate (ie: CE-300, CE-200, CE-250 etc....)

So, all Cats Eyes DO NOT feature a solid top!

Wil

luis said:
No solid top.I just rmember these Cat?s Eye sold very cheap a years ago I followed while I was writing my article.Then sellers got them and were selling on ebay for more than 200% up....... A Cat?s Eye with a solid top is expensive nowadays but it was expensive back when I got my CE-1000....and Cat?s Eye are scarcer than Reborns or Love Rocks. Very good acoustics if you know wich is the one to get....

I own an original, aged 1981 Tokai CE-1500...it's the greatest/sweetest sounding dreadnought I've ever played. It's a dream for fingerpicking/fingerstyle. ALL SOLID WOOD. Solid Spruce top, solid rosewood back/sides. Oh and did I mention about the neck? It's the greatest playing neck I've ever played too! Very solid guitar with a SWEET BELL-LIKE tone. I wouldn't trade it with any guitar, not even with a high end Lowden.

Here she is:

tokai.jpg

i have models in my catalogues that are lower than that and they have solid tops as well. There are 25 different models in just one catalogue i have so there are a whole lot more than the few you have mentioned. Forum member Togps is a Tokai dealer and has been for a long time, i'll stick with his info. A lot of the misinformation that is passed on this site actually comes from Japan....unless it comes from Tokai.

Mick

Bram said:
luis said:

I own an original, aged 1981 Tokai CE-1500...it's the greatest/sweetest sounding dreadnought I've ever played. It's a dream for fingerpicking/fingerstyle. ALL SOLID WOOD. Solid Spruce top, solid rosewood back/sides. Oh and did I mention about the neck? It's the greatest playing neck I've ever played too! Very solid guitar with a SWEET BELL-LIKE tone. I wouldn't trade it with any guitar, not even with a high end Lowden.

Here she is:

tokai.jpg

Beauty! And I totally agree about the neck and tone. Love that headstock inlay!

I also had a CE-100 all solid wood,very good guitar.
I have to check about solid tops however I?d could have benn mistake with back and sides solid wood.....

All Cat?s Eyes CE-700 and above are all solid wood(indiand rosewood+sitka top)....I have check 2000?s catalogues and it does not say solid top anywhere on Humminbirds so my rule of thinking is it?s not solid if Tokai does not say solid top.....

I re-check Tokai sheet and it only says solid top above CE-700,others just say spruce top and ovankol sides and back.
I?m not saying yours is not solid however soem of you know about wood more then me and tehre are several eras as electrics...

What does it say on the label?

luis said:
I re-check Tokai sheet and it only says solid top above CE-700,others just say spruce top and ovankol sides and back.
I?m not saying yours is not solid however soem of you know about wood more then me and tehre are several eras as electrics...

What does it say on the label?

Mine's a solid top from 1979. I saw a catalog somewhere here. I posted pics of label but?

Latest posts

Back