A few questions regarding my Springy..

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ramblin

Reaction score
Hi guys!

I bought a Springy Sound a little while ago. The previous owner bought it used in -84 I think, and it was his main guitar for years.

Just thought I should ask you guys if you could tell me how old it is? And the model...
The pickups are not original as far as I can tell, the first owner probably changed them in the early 80's. Tokai stamped saddles. Neck shape pretty similar to the Fender 10/56 neck on the CS '56 strats, but slighly less V, more of a U.. Serial nr 0095.

It's been refretted, and plays like a dream! I love it..

Pics:
Julebord125.jpg

Julebord126.jpg

Julebord127.jpg

Does a 4 digit serial number mean it's from the 1st year of production (1978)?

Mike

Does a 4 digit serial number mean it's from the 1st year of production (1978)?

That should be an indication of a 1954 copy-model -- assuming the plate is original to the guitar it should be an ST-80 model (higher end)! According to at least one catalogue and that Japan Vintage magazine, they only made these 4 digit models in ST-80 and up (most Tokai strats are 50s or 60s). Nice looking guitar and if I'm correct it's a rare find!

It's from 1980 (first digit 0 on neck plate)--there's no stamp on the neck, but that was the year they switched to stickers (in the middle of the year), so that is probably fine. The original pickups in this would have been grey-backed "E" stamped pickups. One thing that might raise a bit of a flag is the string tree is wrong for this model--these should have a circular-type string tree, but this could have been changed.

If it is an ST-80 it should have a nitrocellulose finish. You might want to confirm it's nitro in order to prove the body and neck are both original to the neck plate before you go bragging to your Tokai-loving friends. Acetone melts nitro, but not polyeurathane--the finish used on lower model Tokais. You need to be careful and put just a drop in a pickup cavity where it won't be seen. There are other posts about this--you can do a search to find better instructions.

You should also test your neck--ST-80 models should have a soft V-type neck. If you can compare it with another Tokai strat that might be the best way without taking the neck off and using acetone--most will have a definite C or U shape. If it has nitro and a V-shape, it's an ST-80 neck.

Nice looking guitar--and if I'm right I bet you got a deal on it.....

Welcome to the Tokai Forum!

Chris :D
________

Last edited by a moderator:
The wear on the body finish looks more likely to be nitro. I know poly will wear like that, but it's less common as poly is harder wearing.

Thanks for the replys..

Well, the price was pretty good. It's been used on a few records, and have seen it's share of gigs. I'm going to bring some acetone with me from work today, and see if it's nitro.

I have another question: Anyone know if a Callaham trem-block (the fender mexico/ import upgrade one) will fit the bridgeplate? I think It would be possible to get some more sustain out of this one, It's a little "dull" compared to my '56 NOS strat.. not much, just a little..

I'm not sure 'bout the neck, It's pretty chunky and has a slight v-profile, but nothing like a Clapton strat.. Not sure how pronounced the v-shape on Tokais are..

Ramblin said:
Thanks for the replys..

Well, the price was pretty good. It's been used on a few records, and have seen it's share of gigs. I'm going to bring some acetone with me from work today, and see if it's nitro.

I have another question: Anyone know if a Callaham trem-block (the fender mexico/ import upgrade one) will fit the bridgeplate? I think It would be possible to get some more sustain out of this one, It's a little "dull" compared to my '56 NOS strat.. not much, just a little..

I'm not sure 'bout the neck, It's pretty chunky and has a slight v-profile, but nothing like a Clapton strat.. Not sure how pronounced the v-shape on Tokais are..

Is the block iron or zinc? Put a magnet on it - it'll stick to steel. I think ST80 blocks were iron and ST60's were zinc - but I might be wrong. iron has more sustain

As for after market parts, Tokais for the most part are all metric and US imperial measured parts usually won't fit.

What pickups does it have? If it's an ST80 it should have E stamped pickups. These divide opinion on here, some people love them, others (like me) aren't so keen. It might be an easier job to try a different set of pickups rather than changing the trem block. Putting Texas Specials on my ST80 transformed the sound - much fatter, warmer & more "poke".

marcusnieman said:
Is the block steel or zinc? Put a magnet on it - it'll stick to steel. I think ST80 blocks were steel and ST60's were zinc - but I might be wrong.

As for after market parts, Tokais for the most part are all metric and US imperial measured parts usually won't fit.

I think steel blocks on Springys only came in with the FINAL PROSPEC saddles, sometime around 1982. All Goldstars had steel blocks, most Springys didn't. The block on my 1980 ST80 isn't magnetic.

stratman323 said:
What pickups does it have? If it's an ST80 it should have E stamped pickups. These divide opinion on here, some people love them, others (like me) aren't so keen. It might be an easier job to try a different set of pickups rather than changing the trem block. Putting Texas Specials on my ST80 transformed the sound - much fatter, warmer & more "poke".

Well, it does not have the original pickups. There's an old SD in the neck position (vintage type), and I believe the middle one to be a 70's Fender pup.. Bridge is a single coil that measures 11 K.. Great for playing solos! :lol:

Ramblin said:
stratman323 said:

Well, it does not have the original pickups. There's an old SD in the neck position (vintage type), and I believe the middle one to be a 70's Fender pup.. Bridge is a single coil that measures 11 K.. Great for playing solos! :lol:

That might be what the problem is. The bridge pickup is awfully hot for a single coil and has to be piercing to listen to.

I doubt if a pickup that hot is piercing - more likely to be muddy. Or dull.

I suppose it's possible that it's too close to the strings and is inhibiting the vibration? That could affect sustain.

stratman323 said:
I doubt if a pickup that hot is piercing - more likely to be muddy. Or dull.

Really? I always thought the opposite with single coils. My U pickups have a significantly higher output than my E's and the U bridge pickup is almost painful to listen to compared to the E p'up. Same setup, p'up and string height on both guitars.

Have a look at the Seymour Duncan website.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/comparetones

The tone chart allows you to compare different pickups, & as a general rule, the higher the output, the lower the resonant peak, and the greater the mid range.

Personally, I find the Us a little fatter and less brittle than Es, but that's very much a personal opinion.

I mostly use the neck pickup anyway. But the bridge pickup actually works pretty good, like a Texas Special with som extra spice..

The sustain is better on my Callaham equipped AV '62 strat. I just feel that this Tokai has more in it.. and that it would be an improvement with a new block/ bridge assembly! But I still dont know if it will fit...

Have a look at the Seymour Duncan website.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/comparetones

The tone chart allows you to compare different pickups, & as a general rule, the higher the output, the lower the resonant peak, and the greater the mid range.

Personally, I find the Us a little fatter and less brittle than Es, but that's very much a personal opinion.

Hmm...cool. Thanks.....whad'ya expect from a blonde. :wink:

Latest posts

Back