Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A few questions regarding my Springy..
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Vintage (Older than 1985)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Ramblin
I only know 3 chords


Joined: 02 Dec 2008
Posts: 16

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:45 pm    Post subject: A few questions regarding my Springy.. Reply with quote

Hi guys!

I bought a Springy Sound a little while ago. The previous owner bought it used in -84 I think, and it was his main guitar for years.

Just thought I should ask you guys if you could tell me how old it is? And the model...
The pickups are not original as far as I can tell, the first owner probably changed them in the early 80's. Tokai stamped saddles. Neck shape pretty similar to the Fender 10/56 neck on the CS '56 strats, but slighly less V, more of a U.. Serial nr 0095.

It's been refretted, and plays like a dream! I love it..

Pics:


Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ramblin
I only know 3 chords


Joined: 02 Dec 2008
Posts: 16

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote



Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ramblin
I only know 3 chords


Joined: 02 Dec 2008
Posts: 16

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote


Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ramblin
I only know 3 chords


Joined: 02 Dec 2008
Posts: 16

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kmarccoco
Guitar God


Joined: 24 Feb 2006
Posts: 487
Location: California

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you have pics of the inside?
_________________
Less is more
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
stratman323
Guest





PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does a 4 digit serial number mean it's from the 1st year of production (1978)?

Mike
Back to top
cheshirecatsmile
Guitar God


Joined: 21 Mar 2007
Posts: 224
Location: Toronto, Canada

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Does a 4 digit serial number mean it's from the 1st year of production (1978)?


That should be an indication of a 1954 copy-model -- assuming the plate is original to the guitar it should be an ST-80 model (higher end)! According to at least one catalogue and that Japan Vintage magazine, they only made these 4 digit models in ST-80 and up (most Tokai strats are 50s or 60s). Nice looking guitar and if I'm correct it's a rare find!

It's from 1980 (first digit 0 on neck plate)--there's no stamp on the neck, but that was the year they switched to stickers (in the middle of the year), so that is probably fine. The original pickups in this would have been grey-backed "E" stamped pickups. One thing that might raise a bit of a flag is the string tree is wrong for this model--these should have a circular-type string tree, but this could have been changed.

If it is an ST-80 it should have a nitrocellulose finish. You might want to confirm it's nitro in order to prove the body and neck are both original to the neck plate before you go bragging to your Tokai-loving friends. Acetone melts nitro, but not polyeurathane--the finish used on lower model Tokais. You need to be careful and put just a drop in a pickup cavity where it won't be seen. There are other posts about this--you can do a search to find better instructions.

You should also test your neck--ST-80 models should have a soft V-type neck. If you can compare it with another Tokai strat that might be the best way without taking the neck off and using acetone--most will have a definite C or U shape. If it has nitro and a V-shape, it's an ST-80 neck.

Nice looking guitar--and if I'm right I bet you got a deal on it.....

Welcome to the Tokai Forum!

Chris
________
ALASKA MEDICAL MARIJUANA DISPENSARIES


Last edited by cheshirecatsmile on Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
stratman323
Guest





PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wear on the body finish looks more likely to be nitro. I know poly will wear like that, but it's less common as poly is harder wearing.
Back to top
togps
Guitar God


Joined: 21 Dec 2004
Posts: 2050
Location: Bavaria, Germany

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshirecatsmile wrote:


It's from 1980 (first digit 0 on neck plate)--


Hi. Chris, note: in 1980 were the S/N#s 7 digits! (all Tokai models)
_________________
www.tokaiguitar.de
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Ramblin
I only know 3 chords


Joined: 02 Dec 2008
Posts: 16

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replys..

Well, the price was pretty good. It's been used on a few records, and have seen it's share of gigs. I'm going to bring some acetone with me from work today, and see if it's nitro.

I have another question: Anyone know if a Callaham trem-block (the fender mexico/ import upgrade one) will fit the bridgeplate? I think It would be possible to get some more sustain out of this one, It's a little "dull" compared to my '56 NOS strat.. not much, just a little..

I'm not sure 'bout the neck, It's pretty chunky and has a slight v-profile, but nothing like a Clapton strat.. Not sure how pronounced the v-shape on Tokais are..
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
marcusnieman
Guitar God


Joined: 22 May 2003
Posts: 8775
Location: Dallas, Texas

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ramblin wrote:
Thanks for the replys..

Well, the price was pretty good. It's been used on a few records, and have seen it's share of gigs. I'm going to bring some acetone with me from work today, and see if it's nitro.

I have another question: Anyone know if a Callaham trem-block (the fender mexico/ import upgrade one) will fit the bridgeplate? I think It would be possible to get some more sustain out of this one, It's a little "dull" compared to my '56 NOS strat.. not much, just a little..

I'm not sure 'bout the neck, It's pretty chunky and has a slight v-profile, but nothing like a Clapton strat.. Not sure how pronounced the v-shape on Tokais are..


Is the block iron or zinc? Put a magnet on it - it'll stick to steel. I think ST80 blocks were iron and ST60's were zinc - but I might be wrong. iron has more sustain

As for after market parts, Tokais for the most part are all metric and US imperial measured parts usually won't fit.


Last edited by marcusnieman on Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
stratman323
Guest





PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What pickups does it have? If it's an ST80 it should have E stamped pickups. These divide opinion on here, some people love them, others (like me) aren't so keen. It might be an easier job to try a different set of pickups rather than changing the trem block. Putting Texas Specials on my ST80 transformed the sound - much fatter, warmer & more "poke".
Back to top
stratman323
Guest





PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcusnieman wrote:
Is the block steel or zinc? Put a magnet on it - it'll stick to steel. I think ST80 blocks were steel and ST60's were zinc - but I might be wrong.

As for after market parts, Tokais for the most part are all metric and US imperial measured parts usually won't fit.


I think steel blocks on Springys only came in with the FINAL PROSPEC saddles, sometime around 1982. All Goldstars had steel blocks, most Springys didn't. The block on my 1980 ST80 isn't magnetic.
Back to top
Ramblin
I only know 3 chords


Joined: 02 Dec 2008
Posts: 16

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stratman323 wrote:
What pickups does it have? If it's an ST80 it should have E stamped pickups. These divide opinion on here, some people love them, others (like me) aren't so keen. It might be an easier job to try a different set of pickups rather than changing the trem block. Putting Texas Specials on my ST80 transformed the sound - much fatter, warmer & more "poke".


Well, it does not have the original pickups. There's an old SD in the neck position (vintage type), and I believe the middle one to be a 70's Fender pup.. Bridge is a single coil that measures 11 K.. Great for playing solos!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
marcusnieman
Guitar God


Joined: 22 May 2003
Posts: 8775
Location: Dallas, Texas

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ramblin wrote:
stratman323 wrote:
What pickups does it have? If it's an ST80 it should have E stamped pickups. These divide opinion on here, some people love them, others (like me) aren't so keen. It might be an easier job to try a different set of pickups rather than changing the trem block. Putting Texas Specials on my ST80 transformed the sound - much fatter, warmer & more "poke".


Well, it does not have the original pickups. There's an old SD in the neck position (vintage type), and I believe the middle one to be a 70's Fender pup.. Bridge is a single coil that measures 11 K.. Great for playing solos!


That might be what the problem is. The bridge pickup is awfully hot for a single coil and has to be piercing to listen to.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Vintage (Older than 1985) All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group