ST-80 on ebay!

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheshirecatsmile

Reaction score
check it out:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tokai-Springy-Sound-ST-80-Golden-Sunburst-Guitar-MIJ_W0QQitemZ220319123929QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item220319123929&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A1|39%3A1|240%3A1318

Looks like lots of fretware, but otherwise could be the real thing (no sticker, but looks like a V-neck). That might be a good price for someone even if it needs new frets at some point.
________
Mazda Familia Specifications

Looks nice, 1980 to 1982, no headstock plug! But is that really sen/ash? Looks like alder to me.

Mike

Be careful:
no sticker, no fretboard stamp; v-shape neck, hmm - ok.
In such kind of case - insist on a positive acetone test!, (separately neck and body) and/or a refund, otherwise avoid ...

Note, probably 25% of all "ST80" are in real only ST60.
(same specs. beside the nitro and v-shape neck)

Good advice, (anyone remember dongrosh? :evil: ) but even an ST60 should be sen. I'm not sure if that one is.

Has wonderful grain on the rosewood, and a nearly invisible center seam. Excellent craftsmanship. I would still take it (if I had the cash) even though it does look to have an alder body. Love the E pups. This one has player written all over it for sure!

Cheers, Rich.

And a three ply guard? ..... man, the closer I look at that rosewood, id swear it was brazillian or jacaranda....

What's wrong with a 3-ply guard??

As Stratman says, an ST80 should be ash not alder, if it's an ST50/80 hybrid then it's an expensive one!!

The rosewood on many Goldstar ST50s is up to the same standard, it's not just the top models.

125_2552.jpg

I woulnt buy it the neck looks kinda sharp to me on the pics and not as good as on the other tokai i've seen (even lower models had better looking necks) or its just the picture angle...

but even an ST60 should be sen

There are both ST-80s and ST-60s in alder, although many are sen. I do agree with togps though--without an acetone test it's impossible to say if it's a nitro finish. Here is an alder ST-80 togps sold recently:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1981-Vintage-To...286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66:2|65:13|39:1|240:1318

I don't mean to be critical of him in any way, but Chingo sells lots of guitars, and I'm not sure he always knows exactly what he has (he should become a Tokai forum member!). He has sold at least one mix-and-match Springy in the last year or so. That being said, I've bought 4 or 5 Tokais from him in the past couple of years (completely satisfied each time) and I'll continue to look at his guitars--just ask questions, and look at his excellent photos before you buy. If it's not an ST-80, it's expensive. I would have strongly considered looking into this, but if I'm going to buy a posh guitar I'd rather not get one with that much neck-wear--some people don't mind this as much as I do. It's always hard to tell from photos, but to me Chingo's guitar looks like it has a V-shape neck--if you're interested, see if you can get him to test the body with acetone...before you buy.

Mind you, if you live in Europe, togps' ST-80 would probably have been a better deal what with taxes and shipping! Maybe he has some more....! :D
________
Alaska Dispensary

cheshirecatsmile said:
There are both ST-80s and ST-60s in alder, although many are sen.

Really? :oops: Just when you think you know a bit about Tokais, they manage to prove you wrong....

Chingo is a very trustworthy seller, i had an issue with a tokai that i bought over ebay from him about a year ago, and he replaced it immediately

anyway... im seriously thinking about purchasing this one... have asked him for the test tho... cos i really want a nitro finish on my next tokai... and really want my first "posh" tokai...

chingo is kosher, no doubt. but he is a professional dealer like togps and hisashi.

mike's and chris's opinion carry much bigger weight. the ST60/80 issue is a fairly serious one when it comes to price.

rup

mediacrew_za said:
does it being ash or sen affect the price i should be buying or selling a ST-80 for..??

Probably not. IF it is genuine, alder is at least as good a body wood as ash/sen - it sounds more mellow, without the brightness of ash/sen, so it's more "correct" for a copy of an early 60s Strat. It doesn't look as attractive though, the grain tends to be less prominent.

Well, bite my tongue and hope I don't regret this, but I'm the new owner of this guitar! Chingo was kind enough to do an acetone test, and apparently it passed. The frets look like they've had a good amount of use but I'm hoping I'll be able to play it for a few years before I need to do anything to them. The price was right even with shipping, and this is my favourite combination of strat--alder body, rosewood board (no skunk stripe) and 2 tone sunburst. I like how E pickups sound with alder too.

I'll take some photos when I get it!
:D :D :D
________
GRAND CHEROKEE

Congratulations, I hope it's a good one. The serial number makes that a 1981? Do you know if it has TOKAI or FINAL PROSPEC saddles? I know it doesn't make any difference, I'm just curious.

Back