Hello, Newbie here. I have questions about my tokai.

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hgdiesel

Reaction score
I have a Tokai that I received in a trade and I recently put it on Ebay and was flooded with questions that I cannot answer. It has a the open book headstock. It has Tokai in cursive across the top of the headstock. Love Rock model and a les paul standard truss cover with two screws. On the back of the headstock is the following serial number 1013036 in big black indented numbers. I thought is was a nonjapanese by the truss rod screws. The guy I got it from didn't know the difference and traded a Gibson SG for it. He didn't realize it until he posted in on Harmony Central and more experienced individuals pointed out the fact it was not a japanese mode. The 22nd fret is stamped 100. I pulled the neck pu and looking in the cavity it looked like a long tenon. It also has the following sticker Villain Custom Shop Made in the USA. There doesn't appear to be any flaws and certainly no repairs done. The guitar is a very, very good playing guitar and besides maybe the pickups it is probably as good as my History LP custom. I will try to post a pic if they are not too large. Any information you guys can give is truly appreciated.

Thanks

http://s467.photobucket.com/albums/rr33/hgdiesel/

Truss rod cover has been replaced. From the pictures, I can't see the top of headstock well enough. Rear covers - I don't know, I'll defer to someone else. Top and neck look okay. I would pull the truss rod cover, and check for any additional screw holes underneath. I'm sure that you'll get a more definitve reading from others.

hgdiesel said:
I have a Tokai that I received in a trade and I recently put it on Ebay and was flooded with questions that I cannot answer.
Simple answer:
Pictured guitar is a lousy Fakai...

Yep, sorry mate but that one is a "Fake". I don't even think thats a Korean one, i think the ones with the large pressed serial number are made in China.
It may not be a bad guitar but its not a Tokai..

Mick

Thanks for the replies. It does have the Large black indented numbers on the back of the headstock. It does only have the two screws for the truss rod cover. I am trying to get ahold of the custom shop to see if they remember the guitar coming through and what they did on it. Keep the information coming. I appreciate it.

hgdiesel said:
Thanks for the replies. It does have the Large black indented numbers on the back of the headstock. It does only have the two screws for the truss rod cover. ......

yep hgdiesel; we all know that kind of guitar.
It's a sad story.
There are numerious postings about that here in the forum. (feel free and use the search button)

Frankly, a tip from me - next time before you like to trade/buy a Tokai - contact us first...
... it cost you nothing.

Thanks fellas. I will definitely keep coming back to the forum to learn more about Tokai's. I guess I will just keep it an put some different pickups in. Surprisingly it does play well, looks good and feels pretty solid. Again thanks for all the help.

Back