t.v. juniors

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrdist

Reaction score
has any body played or seen these from tokai?
are they mij? how much do they go for?any info would be great.Thanks Mr.Dist.

dear mrdist
Tokai did offer a LesPaul Jnr replica in 1989 but only in the dbl cutaway design.
The model was TJ55, had solid mahogany body and neck, single P-90 style p'up, combined bridge/tailpce, 1xVol, 1x Tone and was avail in Cherry or Limed yellow. It was the Lime yellow that coined the term TV as it came out excellent on monochrome television. Gibson offered both the Jnr and the Special in "TV" finish.
The TJ-55 was worth 55,000yen in japan and around $650.00 Aust in 1989. The neck was very similar to the TLS series. A friend of mine bought one to play slide on and loved it better than his original Gibson.

regards
Peter

i owned a new TJ60? les paul jr tv. it was a great guitar, yes was japanese. got it from the UK distributor.
johnny atomic

Hi.
See my comments on my TV Jnr with the dodgy neck angle.What do you think ??
Otherwise, they're great.

Simon.

Not to my knowledge.Only D/cut.The nearest I saw was a Fernandes S/cut in white, back in the mid 80's when they issued all their Gibson replicas.I haven't seen one though.Maybe they only came out in the US.I still have the catalogue.

Thanks Simon.

MrDist

A coupla months late but here's my cents worth ...

The Tokai Les Paul TV is fantastic! I have an original cherry '58 Gibson but the Tokai is lighter and has a much more comfortable neck (very similar to the classic '60 junior neck).

Tone-wise it's a little less cultured than the Gibson but the pick-up performs really well and the wood (korina?) and pick up match up nicely produce some nice smooth sustain. I stick mine through my trusty Twin Reverb and crank it up for that classic Heartbreakers/Pistols sound.

My bandmate still can't figure why my 'piece of ^&*( Tokai' knocks his Gibson Historic Black Beauty for six at every rehearsal. Looks great too!

Buy one, Joe

I did buy one!I like it alot I wish the pickup had a little more bottom end but other than that no complaints the neck angle is fine on mine.

Mine sounds a little toppy too, probably cuz the wood's less dense and the pickup's too new. I'm tempted to fit the '58 P90 into the Tokai to hear what happens.

A buddy suggested fitting a Seymour Duncan Antiquity P90 but they cost over ?100! They're supposed to sound just like the real thing tho'.

What amp are you playing it through?

Regards, Joe

Hey Joe! I put it thru a JCM 900 w/a late 70's 4x12 bottom or a fender champ 12 for blues.Is the body on yours a 2 piece? Take care,Helmut.

Latest posts

Back