Tokai TA-35 amp

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnA

Reaction score
I used my TA-35 at a rehearsal the other night and amazingly it really cut through, and had enough volume to fit in with a pretty loud drummer and a bass player with a rig the size of a house!! The only trouble I had were on a few songs where I use quite a heavy sound and things got a bit much for the little 6" speaker!!

So I'm on the lookout for a small combo with a bit more balls than the TA-35 to replace my JTM-45 and 4x12 cab that I'm sick to death of carrying around, anyone got any suggestions? I really like the sound of the TA-35, so something that sounds similar but bigger would be ideal!

The Laney 'LC' models are great IMHO; I have an LC30 mkII (4xEL84 class A, Celestion speaker) which is compact but plenty pokey enough for most venues and loud drummers. There is also the LC15 and VC15 that sound great, although the bottom end isn't as good through the 10" speaker.

Alternatively (and possibly heretically!) what about taking something like a POD to rehearsal and playing through the PA? I was surprised how lifelike these things can sound. Just a thought...

Thanks for the suggestions, I don't really want to use a pod! I used to have a Line 6 Flextone amp and while it sounded great recorded, in a live situation I really don't thin modelling amps cut it.

I'll take a look at the Laney's and the Blues Junior, I also have a Marshall 18W clone from Ceriatone on order, but it's a pretty unknown quantity for me, I've never used on before, hopefully that'll do the job??

Plenty of headroom on the Junior with a master volume. Also has a "fat" switch for a little extra overdrive. It's my main gig amp....even for larger venues if I have to mic it thru the PA. Very versatile and probably one of the ballsiest 15watt amps I've ever played thru.

The Limited Editions have an upgraded birch cabinet and Italian made Jensen. Big difference from the standard blues junior.

Thanks marcus, I'll check out the junior specs.

I know very little (ok actually nothing ) about Fender amps, been looking at the 5E3 Deluxe 112's 22 watt, anyone any opinions??

The modellers really come to life through an Atomic Reactor. But my recommendation is a Tech21 Trademark 30 or even 15 if you can find one... utterly utterly amazing considering they're valveless, and years ahead of Line 6.

AlanN said:
The modellers really come to life through an Atomic Reactor. But my recommendation is a Tech21 Trademark 30 or even 15 if you can find one... utterly utterly amazing considering they're valveless, and years ahead of Line 6.

I used to have a trademark-10, sounded great in the house, but again, I really think a 'proper' amp is the way to go!

The bigger ones have bigger speakers (no, really Alan?!) which only reinforce how good they are. Cracking amps for the money - gigged with a Trademark 60 for years and it was only once in a blue moon I'd have to mic it.

marcusnieman said:
Fender Blues Junior - tweed limited edition.

Anything except a Blues Junior. I really can't understand why people rate this toneless, spineless little amp. A Blues Deluxe is so vastly better, you wouldn't believe it. Try both and see what you think. Maybe a Hot Rod Deluxe (same as the BD, but with an extra gain stage) would suit a former Marshall fan more?

Mike

I think the best thing I can do is go and try a few amps! Current thoughts are:

1) Use the Marshall 18W for dirty and the TA-35 for cleans
2) Get the JTM-45 built in to a combo
3) Wait for Ceriatone to release their Vibroverb clone:D
4) Buy a new Fender combo
5) All of the above
6) None of the above

stratman323 said:
marcusnieman said:
Fender Blues Junior - tweed limited edition.

Anything except a Blues Junior. I really can't understand why people rate this toneless, spineless little amp. A Blues Deluxe is so vastly better, you wouldn't believe it. Try both and see what you think. Maybe a Hot Rod Deluxe (same as the BD, but with an extra gain stage) would suit a former Marshall fan more?

Mike

I have three of them and each sounds different. Sounds like you've picked up a few lemons and again, I made the distinction of the Limited Editon models. The regular Juniors are crap - I also have plenty of other Fenders - 66 Super, 66 Pro Reverb, 65 Princeton Reverb, 67 Bronco (same as a vibro Champ), 90's Blues Deville 4 x 10 and the Blues Junior is my go to amp.

Spineless? That's a matter of opinion and what you play. I'm usually on my Strat - clean thru the amp, no pedals, modelers or any other crap and that amp gives me the sound I want - think Anson Funderburgh. Never been a shredder playing 9's thru a Marshall stack with 18 pedals in front of me - to me, that renders the actual sound of the guitar impersceptible. I like it clean and simple with some headroom to drive the tubes a bit when I want to put the hammer down and the Junior does just fine.

I can never get anything close to an Anson Funderburgh tone from my BJ. BD, yes, Vibroverb, yes. Maybe I have a duff BJ? The "fat" sound is still thin and lifeless, to my ears. And the gain is pretty pathetic too.

:cry:

stratman323 said:
I can never get anything close to an Anson Funderburgh tone from my BJ. BD, yes, Vibroverb, yes. Maybe I have a duff BJ? The "fat" sound is still thin and lifeless, to my ears. And the gain is pretty pathetic too.

:cry:

Is you Junior black covered? Made in Mexico or USA (look on badge on back). Is the circuit board cream colored or green? You may have crap tubes too.....that would be the first thing I swap out. Get matched sets of power tubes and preamp tubes. The factory Groove Tubes are pretty good.

There are some killer mods you can do to them to hot rod them a bit. Do a Google search for Bill M. mods on Blues Juniors. Read up on it a bit.

The key factor to Anson's tone is that he pretty much always plays the middle pickup on his strat. I set my mid at 8, treb at 6.5 and bass at 5. Reverb on about 3.5 and the volume at about 8 with the master vol at 4 to 5.

It's a black covered US model. Not sure I can be bothered to try and modify it, I have two other amps that sound vastly better, and are more useful for gigs.

Yep, I'm very familiar with Anson's tone. He also seems to pick between the neck & middle pickups most of the time, whereas I tend to pick closer to the bridge.

stratman323 said:
It's a black covered US model. Not sure I can be bothered to try and modify it, I have two other amps that sound vastly better, and are more useful for gigs.

Yep, I'm very familiar with Anson's tone. He also seems to pick between the neck & middle pickups most of the time, whereas I tend to pick closer to the bridge.

The US model was the first generation issue. It has a green circuit board and is much less punchy than the Mexican made, cream circuit board models. They also had cheap plywood cabinets and cheap Fender special design speakers by Eminence I think.

Next time you're in the shops and see one of the tweed Juniors, look at the badge on the back. If it says Limited Edition, take it out for a spin (F
YI, the relic version is the same amp only a little more beat up). Far superior construction and circuitry. As mentioned earlier, they have an upgraded birch cab and an Italian made Jensen speaker. You'll notice a huge difference in sound from it and LOUD.

Still have a look at the Bill M mod info on the amps. Aside from the mods, it describes the shortcomings of the factory issue amps. An interesting read.

Anson's tone is because Anson's playing and not us. :lol:

That's very strange - that's the first time I've heard it suggested that anything from Mexico is better than anything made in the US! Certainly with the Blues Deluxes, it's generally considered that the early 90s US amps are better than the later Mexican ones.

Yeah, same here. I owned a first issue US Junior and it was an okay practice amp. When I played one of the Limited Editions, the black one was sold on eBay immediately. And then I bought two more Limiteds.

I was thinking about trying a Fender Deluxe Reverb. 22w should be enough most of the time.

Back