Bacchus BST 64

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Thanks to a tip off from JohnA, I snapped this Bacchus BST 64 up recently. The seller described it as Ocean Turquoise, but it looks more like Lake Placid Blue to me.

154_5441.jpg

First impressions are that it's a very high quality Strat. It has that dark warm sound that I don't often hear from Japanese Strats - my Goldstar ST50 sounds thin & edgy played straight after the Bacchus, & I'm not sure how much of that comes from the guitar and how much from the pickups.

All the electronics are up to Fender Custom Shop standards, & the pickups read 6.2, 6.5 & 7.4 at the bridge. By comparison the E bridge pickup from my ST80 measured 5.5! So the pickups are hot, & the bridge pickup is the hottest vintage sounding alnico pickup I've ever tried. Are these Bacchus pickups? I can't see any markings.

153_5386.jpg

153_5392.jpg

I would love to get hold of another set of these pickups to try in my Goldstar. Because the one drawback is that it's a chunky old neck on the Bacchus, a fair bit fatter than a Goldstar, unfortunately. The profile feels a bit like the Fender Japan 62RIs I've tried. Nice neck though, time will tell if I get used to it.

The body is 2 piece, centre joined, not the neatest join I've ever seen, to be honest. Tokai tend to hide joins in bodies better than the rest. The finish certainly feels like nitro, & it feels older than I expected. This is from around 2000, I assume?

Link to all the pics here:

http://s183.photobucket.com/albums/x153/stratman323/Bacchus%20BST64%20Strat%20LPB/?start=0

153_5303.jpg

153_5311.jpg

153_5302.jpg

153_5320.jpg

Mike

They're great guitars, if you think that neck's big you should try my BST57, it's huge!!

They are Yuta pickups, made for Bacchus by Keiyo (sp) the little coloured dots that tell you which one goes where are the tell-tale markings.

Maybe a bigger neck contributes to a fuller sound too??

nice
which year was made?
are the new bacchus good guitars - BST-62C
http://cgi.ebay.com/Bacchus-New-model-BST-62C-ST-CAR-Made-in-Japan_W0QQitemZ230296925732QQihZ013QQcategoryZ2384QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
or

this one
http://cgi.ebay.com/Bacchus-Japan-Hand-Made-1P-Ash-G-STUDIO-2T-Burst_W0QQitemZ370092106865QQihZ024QQcategoryZ2384QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I'm sure the new ones are great guitars, they want to be for that price!!

I think Mike's is probably from around 2000, so not old, but they are fantastic quality.

i really don't like that new head :)
when did they change it?
which bacchus is a keeper - maybe in the future I'll buy one - so which one is recomended?
tnx

oh wow, very nice. i noticed that one went the other day on ebay (at least, i assume that's the same one?), was a little annoyed i hadn't noticed it (though to be honest i already have a strat, and it's debatable if i need another, not that that would stop me :lol: ). Nice to know it went to someone from the forum... :) EDIT: i know what you mean about the goldstar bridge pickup, i actually like the other pickups (they're very low output, though i haven't measured them to see exactly how low), but the bridge is a little thin-sounding. Not a major problem as i'd switch them eventually...

That looks like a slab-board to me, so that would make it a BST-62, not 64. That means you've got the hotter Yuta pickups, which explain the fatter sound. I've actually got the exact same guitar, I'll try and get some photos up later.

Hopefully MIJVintage will chime in, as he is the Bacchus expert.

Diodibuh said:
i really don't like that new head :)
when did they change it?
which bacchus is a keeper - maybe in the future I'll buy one - so which one is recomended?
tnx

I don't like the new headstock either, they still make some proper Strat shaped ones the ebay seller Hisashi custom orders them, fellow forum member Andyscott has one and loves his!!

Every Bacchus I have is a fantastic guitar, two strats, a 57 relic and a mint '54, a 52 tele which I was thinking of seling, but changing my mind on a regular basis, and a vintage series SG, all wonderful guitars!!

I have never tried a Bacchus Les Paul, but keeping my eyes peeled for a nice one!

The SG's out on loan at the minute, but heres the rest of my Bacchi :D

DSC00722.jpg

nice bacchies ;)
I saw your tele, but I'm not really a tele guy, I prefer strat (in single coil world).
so if anyone has a nice bacchi (I like that name ;) ) 4 sale, let me lead into temptation

youami said:
That looks like a slab-board to me, so that would make it a BST-62, not 64. That means you've got the hotter Yuta pickups, which explain the fatter sound. I've actually got the exact same guitar, I'll try and get some photos up later.

Hopefully MIJVintage will chime in, as he is the Bacchus expert.

No, it's a cap board, its a 64.

153_5345.jpg

153_5302.jpg

So they do 2 types of Yuta pickups? Or the Yuta ones are hotter than the Bacchus pickups? I need to get another set of these pickups. :p

JohnA said:
Every Bacchus I have is a fantastic guitar, two strats, a 57 relic and a mint '54,

So the white Strat has the really fat neck? Fatter than your blonde Fernandes?

I think the very first ones came with Bacchus made pickups, which apparently sound more 'vintage' you could translate that as thin and weedy :wink:

Pickups are down to personal taste, I love the Yutas! Andy Scott took his out :roll:

I did remove my Yutas!

(sounds vaguely sinister and medical:))

In fact my Bacchus has been stripped of everything except the wood, frets, and screws! Kinman Blues pickups with K9 harness, Callaham bridge, slipstone (delrin) nut, Gotoh locking tuners. It's my dual favourite guitar (see below) although it's cost me a small fortune to piece together.

However on the Momose I got recently I have a different set of Yutas and they're fantastic, one of the liveliest single coils I've heard. I might revisit my Bacchus Yutas again, so don't pm me, Mike, to badger me to sell you them. :)

stratman323 said:
JohnA said:
Every Bacchus I have is a fantastic guitar, two strats, a 57 relic and a mint '54,

So the white Strat has the really fat neck? Fatter than your blonde Fernandes?

Yes, much bigger, the Fernandes, while quite chunky is a C profile, the Bacchus has a big fat V

OK, sounds like Mr Bacchus likes big necks? I thought your Fernandes was chunky enough!

Dave_Mc said:
oh wow, very nice. i noticed that one went the other day on ebay (at least, i assume that's the same one?), was a little annoyed i hadn't noticed it (though to be honest i already have a strat, and it's debatable if i need another, not that that would stop me :lol: ). Nice to know it went to someone from the forum... :) EDIT: i know what you mean about the goldstar bridge pickup, i actually like the other pickups (they're very low output, though i haven't measured them to see exactly how low), but the bridge is a little thin-sounding. Not a major problem as i'd switch them eventually...

Yes it was the one from eBay. I decided not to mess around and just clicked Buy It Now. It turns out the seller is the same guy (using a different profile) who sold me my Silver Star earlier. It also turns out that the Bacchus originally came from the legendary Koiz, so I do hope none of his unique magic has rubbed off onto the guitar. If I start attempting to scat sing (out of tune) while I'm playing, somebody please shoot me!

Dave - you seem to be suggesting that it's possible to have enough Strats - that's a concept I'm afraid I don't understand. :-? :eek:

I had to try a Bacchus, & I assumed that somebody on here would be interested in buying it if it didn't suit me.

stratman323 said:
Yes it was the one from eBay. I decided not to mess around and just clicked Buy It Now. It turns out the seller is the same guy (using a different profile) who sold me my Silver Star earlier. It also turns out that the Bacchus originally came from the legendary Koiz, so I do hope none of his unique magic has rubbed off onto the guitar. If I start attempting to scat sing (out of tune) while I'm playing, somebody please shoot me!

Dave - you seem to be suggesting that it's possible to have enough Strats - that's a concept I'm afraid I don't understand. :-? :eek:

I had to try a Bacchus, & I assumed that somebody on here would be interested in buying it if it didn't suit me.

ah, that's cool (about who you bought it from). i know what you mean about just taking it for the "by it now" if it's a good enough price, if you aren't quick enough, someone else can get it... have been caught out like that before a couple of times...

what i meant about the strat was that, in my personal situation (i.e. limited funds :lol: ) and not having collected all the "classics" yet (i don't have a tele yet, or anything with p90s, and a few others i'm missing too, like an sg, es335 etc.), it wouldn't be terribly sensible for me to have 2 strats, considering buying another would mean I'd have to wait even longer to pick up some of those others. obviously if i had unlimited funds, i'd have several, i certainly didn't mean that you only needed one strat. :lol:

Latest posts

Back