Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bacchus BST 64
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Other
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stratman323

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:20 pm    Post subject: Bacchus BST 64 Reply with quote

Thanks to a tip off from JohnA, I snapped this Bacchus BST 64 up recently. The seller described it as Ocean Turquoise, but it looks more like Lake Placid Blue to me.

First impressions are that it's a very high quality Strat. It has that dark warm sound that I don't often hear from Japanese Strats - my Goldstar ST50 sounds thin & edgy played straight after the Bacchus, & I'm not sure how much of that comes from the guitar and how much from the pickups.

All the electronics are up to Fender Custom Shop standards, & the pickups read 6.2, 6.5 & 7.4 at the bridge. By comparison the E bridge pickup from my ST80 measured 5.5! So the pickups are hot, & the bridge pickup is the hottest vintage sounding alnico pickup I've ever tried. Are these Bacchus pickups? I can't see any markings.

I would love to get hold of another set of these pickups to try in my Goldstar. Because the one drawback is that it's a chunky old neck on the Bacchus, a fair bit fatter than a Goldstar, unfortunately. The profile feels a bit like the Fender Japan 62RIs I've tried. Nice neck though, time will tell if I get used to it.

The body is 2 piece, centre joined, not the neatest join I've ever seen, to be honest. Tokai tend to hide joins in bodies better than the rest. The finish certainly feels like nitro, & it feels older than I expected. This is from around 2000, I assume?

Link to all the pics here:

http://s183.photobucket.com/albums/x153/stratman323/Bacchus%20BST64%20Strat%20LPB/?start=0

Mike
JohnA
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're great guitars, if you think that neck's big you should try my BST57, it's huge!!

They are Yuta pickups, made for Bacchus by Keiyo (sp) the little coloured dots that tell you which one goes where are the tell-tale markings.

Maybe a bigger neck contributes to a fuller sound too??
andyscott
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another falls for the Bacchus charms.
Diodibuh
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice
which year was made?
are the new bacchus good guitars - BST-62C
http://cgi.ebay.com/Bacchus-New-model-BST-62C-ST-CAR-Made-in-Japan_W0QQitemZ230296925732QQihZ013QQcategoryZ2384QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
or

this one
http://cgi.ebay.com/Bacchus-Japan-Hand-Made-1P-Ash-G-STUDIO-2T-Burst_W0QQitemZ370092106865QQihZ024QQcategoryZ2384QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
JohnA
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure the new ones are great guitars, they want to be for that price!!

I think Mike's is probably from around 2000, so not old, but they are fantastic quality.
Diodibuh
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i really don't like that new head
when did they change it?
which bacchus is a keeper - maybe in the future I'll buy one - so which one is recomended?
tnx
Dave_Mc
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh wow, very nice. i noticed that one went the other day on ebay (at least, i assume that's the same one?), was a little annoyed i hadn't noticed it (though to be honest i already have a strat, and it's debatable if i need another, not that that would stop me ). Nice to know it went to someone from the forum... EDIT: i know what you mean about the goldstar bridge pickup, i actually like the other pickups (they're very low output, though i haven't measured them to see exactly how low), but the bridge is a little thin-sounding. Not a major problem as i'd switch them eventually...
youami
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks like a slab-board to me, so that would make it a BST-62, not 64. That means you've got the hotter Yuta pickups, which explain the fatter sound. I've actually got the exact same guitar, I'll try and get some photos up later.

Hopefully MIJVintage will chime in, as he is the Bacchus expert.
JohnA
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diodibuh wrote:
i really don't like that new head
when did they change it?
which bacchus is a keeper - maybe in the future I'll buy one - so which one is recomended?
tnx

I don't like the new headstock either, they still make some proper Strat shaped ones the ebay seller Hisashi custom orders them, fellow forum member Andyscott has one and loves his!!

Every Bacchus I have is a fantastic guitar, two strats, a 57 relic and a mint '54, a 52 tele which I was thinking of seling, but changing my mind on a regular basis, and a vintage series SG, all wonderful guitars!!

I have never tried a Bacchus Les Paul, but keeping my eyes peeled for a nice one!

The SG's out on loan at the minute, but heres the rest of my Bacchi

Diodibuh
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice bacchies
I saw your tele, but I'm not really a tele guy, I prefer strat (in single coil world).
so if anyone has a nice bacchi (I like that name ) 4 sale, let me lead into temptation
btmish
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want that tele!! Seriously.
JohnA
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

btmish wrote:
I want that tele!! Seriously.

It's been in the classifieds on the forum for a month!! But I'm considering keeping it now
stratman323

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

youami wrote:
That looks like a slab-board to me, so that would make it a BST-62, not 64. That means you've got the hotter Yuta pickups, which explain the fatter sound. I've actually got the exact same guitar, I'll try and get some photos up later.

Hopefully MIJVintage will chime in, as he is the Bacchus expert.

No, it's a cap board, its a 64.

So they do 2 types of Yuta pickups? Or the Yuta ones are hotter than the Bacchus pickups? I need to get another set of these pickups.
stratman323

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnA wrote:
Every Bacchus I have is a fantastic guitar, two strats, a 57 relic and a mint '54,

So the white Strat has the really fat neck? Fatter than your blonde Fernandes?
JohnA
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the very first ones came with Bacchus made pickups, which apparently sound more 'vintage' you could translate that as thin and weedy

Pickups are down to personal taste, I love the Yutas! Andy Scott took his out
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Other All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: