who thinks its legit?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rackem

Reaction score
hey,1st time poster! would love if someone could help me out,saw this bass and was hoping to check if it sounds legit,
its advertised as a japanense p-bass with "The serial number is 222728, which indicates it is a copy of a 1965-1976 Fender Precision. " on the neckplate, pictures at

82ed_1.JPG

8b90_1.JPG

8d83_1.JPG

3e44_1.JPG

would love to have this as a new quality bass is needed desperately and if this is legit would be just what i need!!
any and all help much appreciated!! thanks!

The reason I sounded so certain is the screw in the middle of the scratchplate which Tokai had until circa 1995 and which I've never seen on another brand. Of course the neck could be fake although the logo may look odd simply because it runs the other way, being a lefty...

/Magnus

hey back again, got a pic of the headstock and possibly the electronics later or tomorro
sorry bout the huge pic!!

P1020838.jpg

thanks again,much appreciated

thanks people! appreciate the input.may well pick it up for a steal! didnt wanna get hung up with a korean...
any reviews on 'em? where's the truss rod on these btw?
thanks again

They're good basses (I own two) but since they were made during a long period of time it's hard to say exactly.
The trussrod adjust is at the body end of the neck, you can glimpse it in one of the photos.

/Magnus

Shouldn't it say "Hard Puncher" (or something) as well as Tokai on the headstock?

Well, it depends I guess, but Hard Puncher is a long word which is designed to sort of go "around the bend" upwards. It would be impossible to fit going the other way. I couldn't say about every Tokai model though :wink:

/Magnus

Yours is very probably a PB-50 which had a different, Fender 50's style, easily reversible decal.
Rejoice! for yours is the more expensive model :wink:

/Magnus

I'm not convinced about the logo--if it's from 1984 it should say Hard Puncher on it, even if it's a lefty. Magnus--do you have a catalogue with this logo from a different year? The 90s basses on the Registry website's catalogues all have pointed headstocks. It could still be a Tokai bass with a replaced decal, but you'd have to look inside for production stamps on the neck and in the PU/control cavity to prove it.
________
Rt100

1989: http://www.tokairegistry.com/images/catalogs/v1504.jpg
And a 1990 one at vintaxe.com
I believe this headstock thing has been somewhat misinterpreted. The earliest occurrence of the modified headstock is in the 1983 US Tokai catalogue but Tokai still sold traditional shaped headstocks for many years to all countries except the US. The 1984 World catalogue (with traditional headstocks) explicitly states: This catalogue is valid for all countries except the United States of America
About this specific bass I guess it's possible the decal's been replaced, however I'm convinced this is a genuine hardpuncher. I'ts just not worth it making a perfect fake. Faking an ST100 Springy is though...

/Magnus

Latest posts

Back