Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How good are Tokai guitars?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peter Mac
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2002 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi LondonBarry,
To be honest, I have never seen a new Tokai with the block logo - all the 1000's I worked on had either the spagetti or script logo. Springy sounds had "..exact replica of the good old strat" on them.
The photo of the block logo posted in the guitar pics i thought was a replacement for the original logo which may have been removed. There is a posting on the registry by a Martin Harland who bought a 1983 springy sound with the block logo and "R&R fanatics" so this could be a transition piece. By 1984 the model was definately Goldstar with the script logo in gold, with the "..in the world" motto. We did not get block logo here in Oz.
The only guy who could answer this question, Mac Seshimoto, no longer works for Tokai Gakki. I have Japanese catalogs from 1982, 1984 and 1985 but none show the block logo.
Whilst I can't read Japanese, the pics are mouthwatering.
What is the serial number and p'up letters? it may shed info on the model. At any rate, painted headstock models are very rare.
Whatever the model, it is true that these guitars age exceptionally well and are arguably better sounding than Fenders made in the same decade. (1980's)
regards
Peter

loverockerUK

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2002 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

null

Last edited by loverockerUK on Sat Mar 13, 2004 6:06 am; edited 1 time in total
TommyR
Power chords are my friend

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2002 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter Mac - as this is a thread regarding the qualitative aspects of Tokais, I was wondering if you or others out there have considered comparing the new LS series of Love Rocks to the old 1970s LP Reborn/early 80s Love Rocks. I've managed to have a try on one of the Love Rocks that have come into the UK, and LS-65 in Cherry Sunburst. I can only compare messing around on a guitar in a shop to playing at home so I'm probably not being entirely fair. I have a 1970s LS-50 to compare the LS-65 to. In terms of construction the guitars are very similar except the LS-50 has a 3-piece top, binding seems thinner too. Amplified, I find the LS-50 to be much richer and detailed, whereas the LS65 was a bit thinner tonally but very much in the vein for the sound that people love LPs for. The finishing on the new Tokai was really impressive and the playability was equally as good as the LS-50.

By the way Peter, my LS-50 actually has no silk screen logo on it at all but in the light you can see Les Paul REBORN very feintly - do you think it's just worn off or was it deliberately taken off by Tokai during some kind of transition to Love Rock. I got it in Japan several years ago when I was teaching there, it's had a good thrashing ever since but it's a lovely instrument.
Peter Mac
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2002 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi TommyR
Unfortunately I no longer have either of my Love Rocks to make any comparison and finding one in Australia is near impossible.

Comparing a guitar that has matured over 20 years to a fresh production model is a little one-sided for tone - as you found out. There is a difference.
For your headstock to have"Les Paul Reborn" puts it in the late 70s Japanese market model. I believe the "Love Rock" name was introduced in 1980 for export and domestic models. Thats a really rare beast you have there. The logos do fade with time though, even Gibsons suffer from it. Only the original 1952-1960 Les Paul Std, R-9 and the R-8 have silk screen logos - all the rest use a transfer and they do fade. I saw a Tokai LP Reborn on eBay last month for the first time but the logo was very clear.
There are some out there.....

regards
Peter
Peter Mac
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2002 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I sent Ned a post which he has placed in the "Guitars" section showing the various changes to the Strat and Tele headstock and logo during the early 80's.
At this point of time, i still believe this is the closest way of finding a date of manufacture for these models.

Peter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: